• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terminator Dark Fate is one example of a popular franchise that failed to excite. Also maybe i should have said, why people on reset have lost interest in movies. I see very little interest here for non Marvel mainstream movies.
Your arguments just get worse and worse as you continue to post. What the hell?

Nov 30, 2017
You unlock this door with the key of lack of imagination
Beyond it is a dimension devoid of ideas, lacking substance, and where only 10 movies are released per year.
You are moving through a land where all you see is nothing but princesses and superheroes.

You just crossed over into the Disney Zone

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This is a borderline insulting premise. Not only is a there a universe full of original ideas left to explore, but quality distributors like A24 are pumping out brilliant indie films nonstop.

I can't count the number of moving, inspiring, even life changing experiences I've had with movies from the last decade.

I'd hate to call the OP ignorant, but if the shoe fits...
"But Terminator Dark Fate did bad..."

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Went to see the Lighthouse with my wife on a Wednesday last week. After 2 tickets, popcorn, soda and candy, it was $50 or so.

I'll gladly wait for streaming 99% of the time.

First of all I don't know what theater you are going to but that is super expensive even by movie theater standards. Second, did you need the candy? Or really any of that to enjoy the theater experience?

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No original ideas left to explore?

That's the hottest of hot takes.

There are infinite number of ideas. There are also many, many, MANY original films released either at the cinema or via a streaming platform. It's not all franchise films and huge sequels, but those films do make the most money.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wonder if this exact thread exists on some 90s BBS but the premise is "Well Police Academy 7 failed to excite so im just wondering what new ideas exist? I think everyone just hates the movies"

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most sequels are disappointing. Yes Marvel has had a good run but generally speaking most part 3s/4s/5s are bad of a franchise start to get into the "this sucks" territory especially when there's a fair sized time gap.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
CaptSpaulding Is it a religious thing where you can only watch and cite mainstream movies as examples? Also you haven't cited any evidence that people are not interested in movies anymore.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Tons of great, original movies being made every year, in every continent.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Y'all heard of Tall Girl? Highly original!

tall-girl_81002412.jpg

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
I can see the mentality of not seeing anymore non-Marvel blockbuster films because Marvel themselves are basically monopolizing the experience with their more entertaining movies. Anything else just rings hollow and more than likely just watered down to appease China. As far as no original ideas, there's plenty of new spins on old concepts and morsels of originality sprinkled everywhere on TV and cinema, you just have to make an effort to find it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more to do with the rise of TV then anything it is the golden age of television

And cinema losing ground to streaming services

Buuuuuuuut

A) it's weird saying this when blockbusters are breaking records

B) And this is always annoying to say but WATCH MORE MOVIES on Netflix or whatever there's like only 5 mcu movies at most a year there's a hundred interesting movies released each year

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, hear me out: It's a talking dog movie but the dog is a reincarnated cat.
Also, he is voiced Rock "The Dwayne" Johnson

And, get this, it's a little bit raunchy at times

No original ideas, pff

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
High ticket prices, the rise of home theater equipment of very high quality at affordable prices, very quick turnaround to home video

Lack of good ideas has nothing to do with it. Music has been around a LOT longer than movies and still has lots of new ideas coming through.

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Op, it is a pretty poor discussion standard to just post these qualitative statements without any clarification how you measure them and some proof to back the claim, even for a gaming forum...

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I lost interest because everything's a damn superhero movie now. That and ticket prices are insane, and I can never enjoy the cinema anyway because there's always at least one person being a complete arse. Oh and nachos/hotdogs, can't stand the smell and there's always someone that'll stink the place out.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
The very premise of OP is just completely wrong.

Big franchise movies completely dominate the theaters. That doesn't mean all smaller movies fail, and all big movies succeed. But, overall, movie theaters are dominated by big movies now more than ever. That's just an economic fact, not an opinion.

Some smaller and medium size movies have always succeeded. But right now, its less than ever. Big movies more than ever dominate. Not that long ago, smaller and medium size movies had a much much bigger presence.

Right now most people who go to movie theaters don't want originality, they want something safe and comfortable. TV is where there is more original and complicated stories.

There is no big movie backlash. Quite the opposite. We've just witnessed the industry change into something where big Franchise movies have almost killed off adult dramas, raunchy comedies, star vehicles and thrillers.

Oct 29, 2017
Hollywood was a remake machine too in the 1930s and 1940s, and never since they have reached the box office numbers they were doing before Television came out.

If movies are losing audiences today it is because something else is grabbing them. Not because people don't want to see adaptations or remakes, especially since they happen to make more money than anything else.

And still the topics to explore are very vast. Film sci-fi has just scratched the surface of themes and settings of sci-fi literature. You could have a new Event Horizon every month just stealing from the most popular books out there.

Last edited:

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There have always been indy hits and blockbuster failures. People will always go to see the next big movie event. I think movies are just adjusting to being a bit less culturally important than before, overall.

TV is better now and gaming obviously cuts into peoples attention. And further to that, I think talent is spread across all those industries now, as opposed to concentrated in the movie industry. But I think all that might change short to medium term is a slight further migration from theatres to the home. No one is losing interest.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
For me, I've lost interest simply because of other activities pulling away from my attention. A year ago, I would have tried to watch movies like Joker day 1. This year, I still haven't seen it.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
No original ideas to explore?

Nah, that's silly. There are tons of great, unique movies coming out. People aren't seeing them because of other factors.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. All you have to do is look at Blade Runner 2049. Incredible movie with two of the biggest stars in the world. Movie flopped and now we'll never get anything high budget from that franchise again.

If people want originality, than they need to actually go out and support it when it gets made.

Our example of "originality" is a direct sequel to a 35-year-old book adaptation, whose "new" ideas were largely centered around love with an AI - a topic that been beaten to death in recent sci-fi movies like Her or Ex Machina.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. All you have to do is look at Blade Runner 2049. Incredible movie with two of the biggest stars in the world. Movie flopped and now we'll never get anything high budget from that franchise again.

If people want originality, than they need to actually go out and support it when it gets made.
But we are getting a high budget Dune from the same director. People appreciate the art and still give opportunities.

And never say never about seeing anything in the Blade Runner universe again. Hell, it took how many decades to see a sequel?

The downtrodden attitude some people around here have gets really old after a bit.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
I feel that the reason we see so many "blockbuster" movies fail, and why some lower budget, less mainstream movies have become so successful (Joker, Get Out, etc) is because there is so little originality left in cinema, people are just desperate for ANY bit of it.

I mean even Joker isn't really all that original, but just because it's so DIFFERENT from what we see 99% of the time in mainstream cinema, it became so successful.

I mean honestly, what original concepts/ideas are left out there to explore? We have covered almost every genre of superheroes, sci-fi, fantasy, action, and horror. Just as an example I was watching Event Horizon recently and reminiscing how refreshing and original this felt back in 1997. But 20+ years later, even something like space horror has been done to death in almost every type of media.

There are tons of original ideas to explore. Maybe the ones that are borne from the minds of Cis White Men might be tapped out but there are tons of untold stories in a plethora of communities.

As a Black Man I don't understand how no one has produced an HBO style show set in Africa, either Mansa Musa, Egypt, Shaka Zulu.

Look what happened when Ryan Coogler got some bandwith. Look at what happened when someone gave Jordan Peele a shot.

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
OP it's funny how I have the exact opposite problem: so many movies and so little time...

Also if your idea of "experiencing something new" is the movie version of a comic then I don't know what to say.

OP
OP
CaptSpaulding

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
OP it's funny how I have the exact opposite problem: so many movies and so little time...

Also if your idea of "experiencing something new" is the movie version of a comic then I don't know what to say.

TDK was new in the sense that it wasn't really a superhero movie but a realistic, dark crime drama with superheroes. But even the whole "dark" superhero theme feels tired and overused now.

Maybe that's the problem? Whenever a new, successful formula/idea comes out, it gets copied to death and oversaturated, basically killing the formula. For example the whole wire-fu craze of the early 2000s. And the current craze seems to be remaking everything that was animated into live action, and vice-versa. (Dumbo, Spider-verse, etc) Actually I feel that the most creative studio right now is Pixar, they are masters at taking a very traditional type of story and turn it into something we don't expect. However even their last 2 movies have become derivative (but still entertaining).

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Can you name some? Because 95% of what I see on the big screen and even on Netflix/HBO/etc are just remakes or sequels or re-imaginings of existing concepts. Maybe I'm just a bit more picky with movies, I want the feeling that I'm experiencing something new, like I did with Event Horizon or The Dark Knight.
Nobody went to see Event Horizon in theaters and The Dark Knight is both a direct franchise sequel and the fifth movie featuring one of the most famous comic book characters ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Parasite is an extremely rich, original film. One of the most layered of the decade. There's as much theme play and well written characters in there as books.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to add that new ideas are overrated anyways and I'll always take a well executed spin on a well trodden premise or theme over a unique idea that's executed poorly any day of the week

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is original. But I'm not gonna go around saying people arent going to theaters because they feel there aren't original experiences.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
-ticket prices are insane relative to streaming something at home
-home theatre set ups are a lot closer to a theatre level experience than they were even ten years ago
-there is so little competition amongst big studios now that there's no incentive to take risks so we just get endless franchises and remakes
-there's no avenue of funding for new directors that might create original blockbusters (a la Spielberg or Lucas) or critically acclaimed mid and low budget stuff (a la the coens, Scorsese, even Tarantino)

Like everything, it comes back to capitalism. Never blame a lack of human creativity when capitalism's such a better scape goat.

The fact that you call joker risky or less mainstream is the most fucking depressing thing I've ever heard.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Someone should do a Pixar-inspired take on the various colonies of bacteria that coexist on a fresh pile of dung

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This thread seems weird in a year where we had the highest number of movies breaking 1 billion at the BO and one of them being the all time BO movie. Audiences are fine with big blockbuster movies if the hook is there. Also not sure why Joker is propped up as original when its using a well known IP combined with a story formula and style that has worked in the past (like Taxi Driver and Kings of Comedy).

If anything it's the smaller movies at theaters that are struggling due to the emergence of digital. People go for the tentpole movies but less so for the artsy movies unless they are headlined by a big name director like Tarantino, Scorcese, Nolan.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I saw Parasite and The Lighthouse in just the past month in theaters. No way we're even close to running out of stuff.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more that going to the cinema is an event. You want to be wowed and communally experience something and certain genres of films just aren't putting enough butts in seats. Film is richer than ever but I think we need to get Hollywood level production values in everything on Netflix and Streaming services. I love romcoms damnit...but I'd rather watch Last Christmas on Netflix without some of the baggage the needs to sell tickets brings.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There are a BAZILION of ideas left to explore ... the problem is that they mean risk and studios have a risk phobia

Cinema is EXPLODING with originality, just not on the blockbuster genre

Exactly. And some Blockbusters are not failing at all and the biggest ones are sequels, prequels, remakes and franchises. Audiences aren't hungry for originality. I wish they were hungrier and these big 20 movie franchises would die. Even get out is a mild success compared to these bohemoths and joker is different (relatively) but it's still based on an old character and fits in a superhero movie universe.