• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you underlevelled in your RPGs?

• Yes

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • Nah lol

Votes: 184 73.3%

• Total voters

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
It seems like every RPG I play, I am always way under-level. How do I know this you ask? Because I always advance to some boss that just kicks my butt all over the place. So then I run to youtube to lookup strategies and every time the guy in the video is at least 10 levels above me. This has happened to me most recently in CrossCode. It was so bad, at the dungeon entrace (very first dungeon), the other NPC in my party was all like, "OMG are you sure you want to enter this dungeon!?!? Your stats is pretty bad and you should buy new equipment!"

This also happened too me in pretty much any RPG you can think of from Kingdom Hearts (all of them up to KH BBS), Dragon Quest 11 (there was some infamous boss 'rushers' like me have trouble with), and some other games.

Note: I also never stop for side quests normally and never grind much. I only kill what is in front of me and even then, sometimes I run away if possible.

Nov 8, 2017
In games where there is a clear way to level up if I'm not at the appropriate place it's usually not an issue. In other games it depends. In PoE2 I disabled level scaling and it was a bad move because I wasn't that interested in doing too much side content, and I wound up being grossly underlevelled to the point of extreme frustration.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, the exact opposite. I like to feel overpowered in pretty much any game I play.

For me, games are mostly a form of relaxation, so I don't really want to feel stressed while playing them. My backlog is also huge, so I don't mind quickly going through games.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Unless I really want to do all the side content (which only happens once in a NieR moon) I deliberately stay underleveled. I like challenging bosses, and most regular enemies are easy regardless.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I never rush. I play the game normally, or I spend time doing extra stuff.
If I'm still underleveled at that point, the game is too grindy.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It doesn't really happen to me since I like to explore every nook and cranny in games, so naturally I'm properly leveled almost all the time.

The only time I've had to really grind was for the ending of P5. Thankfully they knew this was a potential problem so they put a lot of strong but manageable enemies before and around the mini-boss gauntlet before the final boss.

I thought I'd have to go back and grind for FFXII's ending at first, but somehow I was able to get though the onslaught of baddies to the bosses.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Nah I generally try to do all the side quests and optional areas as they open so I'm usually on track level wise, if not overleveled.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Old RPGs that expected you to grind? Yeah I usually wound up underleveled because I hate grinding.

Newer ones? Those are usually fine.

Oct 25, 2017
I find myself underleveled nowadays. I'll avoid trash mobs if the fights aren't engaging (enemy AI, trivialized encounters, tactical options, etc.).

Radiant Historia is the most recent instance for me. Beating bosses takes me 20+ minutes because my DPS isn't there, despite stacking buffs/debuffs. And when I look online, I find that I'm usually 10-15 levels below the recommendation, LOL.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
It depends. I Western RPG'S I'm always over leveled, but in JRPG'S I always feel like I'm under leveled.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I usually feel over-leveled. I was max level in Horizon Zero Dawn well before I reached the final quest. I don't even farm in games. I do usually do everything optional in front of me though.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Never. I grinded for the Sword of Kings in EarthBound. That kind of shit is too easy, doesn't reward you and ruins the flow of the later game

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't really grind in RPGs ever. I just look around dungeons and stuff. Thoroughly. And fight the things I happen to meet.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
No, because most RPGs I play either have so much side content (or usually, "content") that it's easy to be hilariously overleveled or they're games where levels themselves aren't all that useful.

OP
OP
sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Crap looks like I need to do more sidequests. But sometimes they are just fetch quests, "Yo lowbie go farm those foxes and bring me 4 pelts!". I always just nope out on those.

Now Yakuza 0 had lots of godlike sidequests. So I loved those. But straight up JRPG I'm just getting run over & over. Need to learn to take my time like y'all are saying

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Yes, because most RPGs want you to do boring sidequests. An example is Assassin's Creed Origins where I didn't want to do sidequests anymore after I completed the first few, because most of them were boring. I was underleveled throughout the game which was annoying af. The worst offender in recent memory is Nier Automata though. By route D I was like 10 to 12 levels below all the enemies. I had to switch to easy because of the little amount of damage my weapons did.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Never. I always explore and do as many side quests that I could.

Lots of RPGs are designed in a way that they expect you to at least complete a considerable amount of exploring/side questing. If you like to rush things, maybe RPG is not the right genre for you, OP.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the time, I always overlevelled because I always try to do everything that is available before advancing the main story...

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Back then, over leveled. Nowadays i purposely try to under level to make it more challenging and also due to time constraints like work and life

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love being under leveled. Breaking the boss over my knee while any mistake could end me is the only way to play

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Persona 5 on Hard mode and I'm constantly feeling underleveled. I'm about to start the final, final dungeon at LV62 and I'm reading online that most people beat the game in the 70s or 80s.

OP
OP
sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Yes, because most RPGs want you to do boring sidequests. An example is Assassin's Creed Origins where I didn't want to do sidequests anymore after I completed the first few, because most of them were boring. I was underleveled throughout the game which was annoying af. The worst offender in recent memory is Nier Automata though. By route D I was like 10 to 12 levels below all the enemies. I had to switch to easy because of the little amount of damage my weapons did.

Holy crap I was going to toss Nier Automata in my OP because I had to drop it down to Easy for Route C but I was too embarrassed. I couldn't stand the side quests in Nier Automata though because this particular one with the "couple" seemed to never end. I would go to point A but then I learned I had to go somewhere else. It just keep repeating like this making me travel all over the place so finally I gave up on the quest and had a bad time right at the end of route C which resulted in me dropping difficulty

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm usually underleveled as well, so you're not alone in this OP!
Never. I always explore and do as many side quests that I could.

Lots of RPGs are designed in a way that they expect you to at least complete a considerable amount of exploring/side questing. If you like to rush things, maybe RPG is not the right genre for you, OP.

Miss me with that gatekeeping shit, mate. I love RPGs but hate grinding and pointless sidequests.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
I tried to over level in FFXIII, ran into every monster I saw on purpose. replayed certain parts, final boss still destroyed me. I have a love/hate with this game, enjoyed 95% but that last 5%, COME ON! not fun at all. for my sanity, I gave up on it. Hoping the 2 sequels are better.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Almost never since I tend to be pretty completionist in terms of side content in RPGs the main story is always a joke in terms of difficulty by the time I get to it.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Holy crap I was going to toss Nier Automata in my OP because I had to drop it down to Easy for Route C but I was too embarrassed. I couldn't stand the side quests in Nier Automata though because this particular one with the "couple" seemed to never end. I would go to point A but then I learned I had to go somewhere else. It just keep repeating like this making me travel all over the place so finally I gave up on the quest and had a bad time right at the end of route C which resulted in me dropping difficulty

I don't know which quest you're talking about, because I only did like 5 sidequests which were all awful. The game had one of the worst open worlds I've experienced. I don't even know why the game had to be open world. The game has fluid combat and a solid nareative though. The game is good, but I don't love it like Era does.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
i have a bad habit of over-leveling. but then again i dont care if boss fights arent challenging because i made my char OP since it was by choice