• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
The outrage in review threads usually has me questioning what I am doing with time.

In general, I love this place but sometimes I need to step away from the thick negativity that arises her on occasion.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Nah - I'm pretty good at ignoring the toxic people. Besides, there is trash in EVERY community - sports, movies, music...terrible people are everywhere. It's not exclusive to gaming.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Era, Giant Bomb and Easy Allies are pretty much my only exposure to this community. And ya'll are all decent, good people. Try scaling back the people you follow, maybe?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate language and inflammatory generalizations over multiple posts
yeah i'm getting real sick and tired of it. so many SJWs and people getting offended over everything. NOT DISMISSING ANYONE'S FEELINGS, VIEWS, OR BELIEFS (incase the mods get banhappy on me)

you can't even call yourself a "gamer" anymore without pissing people off. it's ridiculous. i play games and while i wouldn't define myself as my hobby i do call myself a gamer just like i call myself a musician/artists because i like music and art too. but i'm not defined by them entirely. in conversation yeah i'm gonna say "as a gamer" "as a musician" "as an artist" but it doesn't mean you can assume my opinions/beliefs.

while this post is an exception i mostly tend to just ignore posts talking about this stuff. i just want to play games and talk about them. a lot of people just want to get offended and be toxic...not me. just here for the games thanks.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yup, I love games but the community is mostly garbage. And even leaving the toxic aspects aside, I'm really over corporate fanboyism and gamer hyperbole. I've very recently decided that I'm not going to "discuss" nearly as much as I still did from time to time.

Oct 25, 2017
I post in here and I'm in some nice discord channels.

Also my gaming community is Easy Allies mostly, and it doesn't get more jolly than that.

Last edited:

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
All I can say is that there are certain truths that cannot be spoken without "offending" someone or some group, and getting yourself labeled as.....whatever name suits the general hate that is growing around the world. We are living in very twisted times and I fear it's only going to get worse.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I feel the trick isn't to not care about issues that are important, but rather to recognize that the majority of negativity and toxic stuff online is out of our hands and not worth engaging in. Instead there are ways to channel our time and energy to issues we care about in more productive ways. Making a difference in a tangible way even in a small community can feel great. Volunteering at a local program helps people you can see and relate to, and makes you feel better too. Arguing or being distressed about toxic stuff on the internet? Not so much. It's a losing battle for personal mental health.

Very much this. People are misguided if they think people disengaging from these arguments online don't care. I care deeply about many political and social issues. Thus I volunteer, make donations, write/call my reps, work in a policy-relevant field and so on. I wasted too much time and energy arguing with people online in my younger years. It's a rare event to remotely change the mind of some stranger online. Much easier to do with people you meet in the real world. It's even more futile these days with how most online communities are more siloed echo chambers than in the past.

Dec 12, 2017
I'm as equally done with the overly sensitive and sensationalist, some might say "left wing" side of the gaming space, as I am the gamer-gate people. It's all just a distracting from the games themselves.

However, I do see myself as less and less the target audience for the kind of releases that quality as AAA. If these MMO-lite shooters / battle royale games are all that 3rd party AAA studios are putting out, I can't be interested in a game landscape like that. For the last several years I've noticed that the only games I really buy and enjoy are Sony / Nintendo 1st party, some of the AAA Japanese scene like Capcom / Atlus, and ocassionally a large western open world game (RDR2 or The Witcher).

I haven't bought or been remotely interested in almost anything the big 3rd parties have been doing for what seems like YEARS. I don't care about Assassin's Creed, or Battlefield, or Anthem, or Destiny, or the Division, or Far Cry, or any of that shit. It's all so samey and bleh.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
All I can say is that there are certain truths that cannot be spoken without "offending" someone or some group, and getting yourself labeled as.....whatever name suits the general hate that is growing around the world. We are living in very twisted times and I fear it's only going to get worse.
you can't say anything these days without upsetting someone. i'm not out to upset people or anything. shit i don't care how you feel or what you believe in. do or be whatever makes you happy but c'mon....it feels like people want to be offended just to cause trouble.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
It seems to be a vocal minority that's pretty easy to avoid.
I'd be lying if I don't enjoy some aspects of drama though. Following the story of that IGN plagiarizer was fun.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this. Attributing certain negative traits to 'just gamers' is narrow-minded as fuck.

Enthusiatic gamers do skew young, male, and are on the hyper competitive side of things. I'll throw angry and prone to confrontation in there as well. I dont think a community of new moms, for example, would be the same.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Meh, gamers are people on the internet.

Its long been known what results when you toss someone into an anonymous environment where their every word can blow up at a moments notice.

Step back and focus on the actual games. Don't read the comments, don't buy on release day, forget reddit or be subjective about where you go. I've been enjoying my time as a gamer more than years past during my "52 games" challenge and not buying any new games.

Of course, I'm more than a gamer and I've got more going on in my life during my free hours than gaming. Been through periods where I haven't played more than a hour or so a week in the past few years, sometimes weeks on end.

Shout-out to PCgamingERA!

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but mainly because a lot of video game forums are too focused on the consumeristic aspect and language of video game marketing that doesn't really align with my personal views or taste, so it's often hard to come to forums where little discussion takes place and threads fill-up with mostly sentimental rallying. And this is just the video gaming community at large; it's not like this language is escapable by visiting ResetEra.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
This is no different in any other kind of community. Be it movies, smartphones, Cars, sports or whatever. You have these kind of people everywhere and i don't think it makes sense to single out gaming.

I know why people say and think this. There's a measure of truth to it. But there's also degrees to which different communities have said people. I have hobbies outside of gaming, hobbies that are just as competitive (from both the user and company perspective), and hobbies that have just as much online presence with hundreds of different insular groups and forums. I have been able to find both ends of the spectrum in my other hobbies with relative ease. I can find places that are positive, welcoming, and encouraging. I can also find places that are full of negativity, immaturity, and assholes.

But the difference is that I have yet to find a single gaming community that isn't just as bad or worse than here. And even this forum is constantly bombarded with the exact type of bullshit that drives people like myself and the OP away from the community. The tribalism over products, the bullying into (or out of) certain products, the complete willful naivety of how anything within the industry they dedicate insane numbers of hours into actually works - while simultaneously having callous criticism over every little perceived slight by "developers".

So, yes, there's "these kinds of people everywhere", but I honestly can't find a single fucking community for gaming that actually likes just playing games without all the extra bullshit. And I can find places like that in my other hobbies fairly easily. So it's not exactly the same. Gaming culture and community, for whatever reason, seems to have a widespread love-hate relationship for gaming itself.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
For the past few months, I've just grown more tired and tired and tired of the gaming community. After over a decade of putting up with some of the toxic nonsense that gaming produces, It's just gotten too much for me and after this weekend, I'm pretty much done.

I'm just sick of it, I'm sick of the reviewers getting harassed and 8.8 controversies, I'm sick of the sheer amount of gate keeping, elitism and fan wars over every single little thing and the sheer petty "victories". I'm sick of the constant toxic abuse people get on sites like Gamefaq for asking for help or advice (why do they still call that sight Gamefaq?), I'm sick of places like 4chan. Kotaku in Action and r/Kappa allowed to exist and treated with normality. I'm sick of the casual racism, ableism, sexism and homophobia, I'm sick of the video pundits treating their opinions as "objective fact" and further encouraging the toxicity like MovieBob and Yahtzee. I'm sick of being made miserable or getting tons of hate for liking/not liking a game (both on the internet and offline) and plus with some other personal issues about gaming, I'm sick of all of it.

And after this weekend where the very worst of the fighting game fandom came out with their sexism, "core values" memes and "This will piss of the SJWs, I'm buying the game!" and so much else, besides being completely done with the competitive fighting game community, I just feel done with the gaming community.

Has anyone else been feeling this way or has felt like this in the past? How did you deal with the feelings of frustration? Do you feel that the gaming community can be changed or you'd feel better by just staying away from gaming communities for a while?

Also I'd like to say thank you to the users over at the Why Women Criticize Sexualized Character Designs thread for being super cool the past weekend.

Pretty much. There's a reason I don't bother with most other gaming forums now. This is my main gaming forum (except for some subreddits dedicated to specific games).

This is no different in any other kind of community. Be it movies, smartphones, Cars, sports or whatever. You have these kind of people everywhere and i don't think it makes sense to single out gaming.

I'm sorry, but no. I used to be into a lot of car forums and it never got this toxic (especially towards females) and same with a motorcycle group (which was bad in some ways but one could point out it was dedicated to the area of the country I'm in that has some very very conservative areas and it mostly was a problem with homophobia rather than all of it like gaming. Hell, the other motorcycle group I was in that was dedicated to a specific type of motorcycle you never saw the kind of toxicity you see in gaming forums). Honestly it never came up other than we need to get more women into our hobby. And you didn't see people actively pushing against that like you do in gaming. Even the homophobia wasn't aimed at Keep gays out of our hobby (and as I said despite my area's - pacific northwest - reputation of being liberal we have a very conservative side hte other side of the mountains). I've never seen so much toxicity towards outright wanting to keep groups out of the hobby like I do in gaming forums. Sorry, but yes, gamers are worse than the usual.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
"The gaming community" is too far-sweeping of a statement: there are multiple communities that have an aspect of gaming at their core. It would be hard to argue that, say, ResetEra and PewDiePie's fans are part of the same "community" in any meaningful way.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to be part of the internet community to play games.

I gave up on most online games a long time ago and it is best to insulate yourself from most internet communities, not just games, because so many of them are just filled with trash human beings acting like pieces of garbage.

Even on ERA there are some things that are going to be supremely childish and fan war centric. Avoid threads on sales and reviews and more often than not graphics. I still like ERA though because it has a lot of awesome communities (try and stick to the awesome ones) and I love reading peoples impressions and thoughts on games that I enjoy or am interested in.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insecure people are toxic. Group think validates. Many people on Internet are alone, miserable and would rather drag you down with them.

Just ignore. Don't participate.
Damn. It's sad how true this is. I miss the days when internet was a luxury and not something people depended on.

Tokki

Feb 10, 2019
I totally agree with you. The gaming community has gone way too far with its toxicity, especially towards women, PoC, LGBTQ people, neurodivergent people... So pretty much anyone who isn't a neurotypical cis straight white man. It makes me ashamed to even associate with video games sometimes, especially knowing that, as an autistic woman, I'm treated like a joke to most gamers.

And to those of you suggesting that we ignore it or stop caring about what others think... That's easier said than done. The "don't feed the trolls" theory isn't nearly as effective as you think, and ignoring harassment rather than trying to combat is what normalizes toxicity. It's part of why the gaming community is as scummy as it is, and it'll only get worse if people don't speak up.

(Also that "core values" shit is fucking obnoxious. Even if there wasn't any misogynistic implications behind it, it was still at VRChat Knuckles-levels of unfunny, and yet everyone was parroting it over and over. It's like these guys have the sense of humor of a bunch of middle-school kids.)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Hell no! There are bad elements but there is also an element that is taking these greedy publishers to task and I love it. I remember when people would post things like "complain all you want it won't make any difference they will still sell tons." Not anymore our voices actually matter now. Gaming consumer advocacy is in a good place.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been done with it for years. Most gaming communities are either filled with prejudice dumbasses spewing their views or sensitive people who can't handle criticism of their favorite games and act like you personally insulted them. Era is alright, but those types exist here too.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm getting more exhausted with the internet in general. I was doing really well avoiding it for awhile, but ive been super busy at work and the internets a good "come home from an exhausting day and mindlessly get annoyed while watching something in the background"

its not just gaming communities. its kind of all internet discussion. shits wears me out.

people are either being filled with hate at something (other people, games, art styles, etc) and then the response is people hating them back. atleast this place is pretty liberal, but its still just filled with hate and negativity. I'm stoked about that Zelda remake, and that whole thread is people saying how much they hate the art style or complaining that it isn't a different game. its better than hearing people say they hate women or whatever, but its still tiring to read through and it does effect your mood.

ultimately I don't think either side moves the needle much which is why I think it just gets exhausting.

Last edited:

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm getting fed up with the numerous lies from developers and publishers, GaaS, BR Genre trending fad insanity, and then you have the ultra fanboys in general. I mean I get that everyone tends to favor a certain system but the childish lambasting on the regular is just taxing, annoying and downright disrespectful at times. It's even worse when you have those same fanboys making the same strawman arguments defending their platform of choice, especially when one's first party portfolio has been vastly abysmal this gen...*cough cough* And if a game reviews poorly then it's the reviewers fault for not liking it and being biased against said system...I could go on and on and on I'm telling ya...

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Era Gaming Forum section is there with the worst communities and reading it only brings frustration. It's overflowing with petty discussions, console warring, justifying review bombing (because developers are evil and lazy and gamers are always right, that's what people on here think), mocking people that like one game because it supposedly is trash and goes against Era's general consensus (example Crackdown 3, or even FF XV). But mods do a good job so most people learned to keep it quiet.

Gaming hangouts part of Era is safe from this. There, in the different OTs, people genuinely seem to enjoy games they play and only discuss about games helping others and giving their opinions about what they like or don't like about games, almost always respectfully.

This is a bit disingenuous.

Era can certainly be pretty bad true, but it is no where near ANY of the worse communities.

Snobbery is perhaps the worst thing on here. Some other communities have so many flavors of toxicity it is unreal.

Oct 27, 2017
I think you might just be too plugged in, OP. I have no idea what events you are referring to, I've never heard of r/Kappa, etc. It's like you're seeking out shit you know gets you riled up; for what reason I'm not sure. You don't have to be on the front lines of every stupid internet fight.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit disingenuous.

Era can certainly be pretty bad true, but it is no where near ANY of the worse communities.

Snobbery is perhaps the worst thing on here. Some other communities have so many flavors of toxicity it is unreal.

This. If you want to see true hell in the game space, go check out what GAFs become. Nauseating.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Beyond assblasting on resetera, I avoid the gaming community pretty much as a monolith.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I know why people say and think this. There's a measure of truth to it. But there's also degrees to which different communities have said people. I have hobbies outside of gaming, hobbies that are just as competitive (from both the user and company perspective), and hobbies that have just as much online presence with hundreds of different insular groups and forums. I have been able to find both ends of the spectrum in my other hobbies with relative ease. I can find places that are positive, welcoming, and encouraging. I can also find places that are full of negativity, immaturity, and assholes.

But the difference is that I have yet to find a single gaming community that isn't just as bad or worse than here. And even this forum is constantly bombarded with the exact type of bullshit that drives people like myself and the OP away from the community. The tribalism over products, the bullying into (or out of) certain products, the complete willful naivety of how anything within the industry they dedicate insane numbers of hours into actually works - while simultaneously having callous criticism over every little perceived slight by "developers".

So, yes, there's "these kinds of people everywhere", but I honestly can't find a single fucking community for gaming that actually likes just playing games without all the extra bullshit. And I can find places like that in my other hobbies fairly easily. So it's not exactly the same. Gaming culture and community, for whatever reason, seems to have a widespread love-hate relationship for gaming itself.
Absolutely this. I have other hobbies, I have discussions elsewhere, it's not nearly as bad as with gamers. Gaming is very corporate, very marketing driven, very angry (just how many gaming youtubers do the "angry" shtick!?), very vindictive, very juvenile to be honest. It's just disingenuous to say these traits are present to the same degree in every single community.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Can people please stop going into threads about one game, then talking about how a game in the same genre on their platform of choice is way better? The negativity and dick wagging has gotten pretty terrible.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope cause shitty people are going to be part of whatever community your a part of and you can't let bad actors deter you from enjoying the things you like.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely this. I have other hobbies, I have discussions elsewhere, it's not nearly as bad as with gamers. Gaming is very corporate, very marketing driven, very angry (just how many gaming youtubers do the "angry" shtick!?), very vindictive, very juvenile to be honest. It's just disingenuous to say these traits are present to the same degree in every single community.

Very true.

I would say this is a problem for many--not all--'nerd' communities.

Comics can get pretty bad too. As can some Movies and TV show fandoms.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this place was pretty pleasant for a couple months after the move, but yeah it's quickly becoming like the last place. Which isn't surprising I suppose.

I kind of agree with this. And not in even the good ways. The gaming side almost feels exactly the same.

The OT side is mostly depressing to read. Atleast GAF there would be occasionally stupid threads which were great. Now its mostly arguing about the news.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm black and I've been called an SJW, so I'm definitely on the margins of the gaming community. The "core values" meme really soured my enjoyment of Evo Japan. But like I said, I'm black and politically progressive, so I also find myself on the margins of the US (where I'm from). Running away and disassociating isn't really the answer to my marginalization in either instance. The only real option I have is to try to be the change I want to see. It's often demoralizing, but that's the struggle.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I haven't seen that many bad posts in the Anthem thread. Just a bunch of people agreeing that a thing is't very good for the most part.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I wonder how many people who think gaming communities are the worst have actually delved into other communities. It really is the same everywhere in the current Internet landscape.

Hell, people are mentioning 4chan, when the website has boards for every topic.

Edit: One thing I may add to this post, though. I do agree gaming attracts one of the biggest numbers of inmature people.

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
"Gaming community" means ERA to me. Never really cared much about anything else other than close groups of friends or Miiverse.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with some parts. I don't really partake in hype/outrage/speculation threads (usually a waste of a time), and will only comment if I know the answer to something based off experience (and not watching/reading someone else's opinion).

I'll still read most threads though. It's mildly amusing to watch people fight over anecdotal information (which is like 90% of the threads). It continuously gives me perspective.

Mao Rome

Dec 22, 2018
If my friends liked video games, I wouldn't even "be in the online gaming community"... unfortunately that's not the case.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
It's like every other community out there in that it contains good and bad people. It has both positive and negative aspects.

I come on here and don't really bother engaging outside of following a few people like Norm from The Gaming Historian and Jeremy and Benj from Retronauts in Twitter.

People on the internet really act out because there are seemingly no consequences and/or they're deeply damaged people who get a rise out of upsetting others. I just don't engage them and let them have their space. They can all have their angry, small lives that live out on a screen. My life is lived in the physical world and my arguments happen face to face where you have to mind your words a little better.

So yeah, you're not wrong. Fuck those people, but more importantly forget them. Shut them out, let them scream into the void. Stand beside people who may be their victims, lend those people support.

Gaming should be fun and so should interactions with the community. It's a hobby, it's entertainment, if it stresses you out, cut out that part of the stress. Unless you work in the industry, you don't have any skin in the game. It's like people who get wound up about sports, fuck that nonsense, it's not your team, you don't play for them, the pride is false and the victories aren't yours.

Cut out the parts that don't work and get back to enjoying the hobby without all the nonsense.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is caring too much, sometimes.

Most communities for every form of entertainment are trash. The gaming community being trash doesn't bother me much because despite being a forum goer and stream monster I don't get emotionally invested in any of it or spend a lot of time on the side stuff I spend more time actually playing games than being in deep with the community so that means all the stuff era, reddit, gamefaqs rages about barely bothers me because I just tend to ignore it. I just cannot spend headspace on a lot of that stuff.