• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
No. I already have 0 physical games out of a library of 2000. I jumped in complete as soon as I could. Convenience trumps all. Besides who wants all that plastic shit cluttering up their home?

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
I'd only fear the digital future if GoG dies and pirates can't crack games, which would hurt preservation in the case of games that have DRM linked to servers that could go down eventually.

Honestly, I don't really see much value at all from physical games anymore, unless they're cheaper, and digital pricing could be better on consoles. Otherwise they take up space, need patches + DLC/expansion data downloaded anyway, install to hardrives because discs are slow, and those discs will last less time than digital games where I can back them up endless to hardrives or even use cloud storage. Emulation also lets me run most of my old owned console games on one PC, and can run those games better with higher resolution + framerate in some cases.

Streaming could only pose an issue if some game devs exclusively release on that, but given how TV/Movies work, there will likely always be a pay to download option.

Laserplane

Apr 28, 2018
There is a difference between digital "purchases" (aka DRM-filled games) and renting services such like PS+ games/Game Pass.

Yes different products are different. PS now and game pass let you rent a bunch of games a month at a time until you stop paying. Digital downloads let you use one game at a time until it's no longer available, the timing of which is not up to you and you have no other rights to that content, i.e. renting/leasing/not owning.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. As it currently stands. I can get a job that pays better etc. But it means I would have less freedom in my daily life and that includes playing games. As it stands right now even though PC is my primary choice when I can afford it. I rely on physical games to have access to a steady stream. Being able to resell my titles on top of deals is the only reason I can afford to play the way I do.

There's also just an inordinate amount of drawbacks from pricing control. To agency what you do with the game/software. To preservation etc.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, in fact, I'm actually considering going fully digital next gen because it's so much more convenient and doesn't take up space in my room.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
I will most likely skip consoles if all digital happens. Only if I can copy my games and play them offline on new devices I will consider it.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
I am not scared for it, I don't like that some digital games now get Limited Run/Super Rare versions, can't decide if to buy the expensive physical version or the cheaper digital version.
Have not played Hollow Kinight or Celeste yet because of that

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
No. I don't fear it and I welcome the technology. I watch movies on Netflix, listen to music on Spotify. I couldn't care less as long as I can experience my entertainment. Everything on those platforms is for my entertainment, I'm not going to build a shrine for them. Besides. I'll take instant access over anything. Don't have to sit through a game that isn't fun for me and trying giving it more chances just because I spent 30, 40, 60 bucks on it.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I fear the boredom of reading posts from the people who insist the present is, or should be, all-digital.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Physical games existing doesn't bother me. There's no way I'd buy a game physically under any reasonable circumstances, but it doesn't affect me if other people get to make a different choice. So I guess for their sake I hope it's still an option in the future.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think streaming would be a good option for people who have little to no time to game. It would be adaptable for where you need to play and when. No waiting for patches or installs or downloads just click and play a game on demand anywhere.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, not at all. I made the switch prior to this generation and I won't ever go back.

I do understand the issues that people have with an all digital future, so I hope that things like data caps, slow speeds and bad consumer laws for digital goods will all be improved on and become a thing of the past.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I've been going more digital recently, but I still like having the choice of buying physical. I like to actually own games that I really love.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Physical is pretty much dead to me at this point. I currently own 1 physical game and over 2000 digitally across all platforms.

I've bought 2 physical games in the last 5 years or so. Octopath Traveler because I got a great deal on the collectors edition which I then sold to someone on here when I finished it. Sekiro as again I got a great deal on it due to one of my colleagues receiving two accidentally the day before release.

I live the fact that I have access to thousands of games and it takes up no room and I don't have to swap discs etc.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, too much to play plus various other entertainment options mean I just don't care about availability or ownership anymore.

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
Bring it on, I'm tired of listening to cheap disk drives whirr. And even worse, replacing disk drives.

I'm happy with Steam, I'm happy with eShop.

My biggest regrets come from selling/losing my old physical games.

Oct 27, 2017
Digital distribution is perfectly fine, it's the DRM that I hate. I can back up my GoG games and have them even if the service goes down, can't say the same for Steam.

Streaming doesn't interest me in the slightest. I'd stop playing games if that became the only way to play. Honestly, it would be kind of nice to have an "out" for the hobby. I could focus on my backlog for once.

Feb 3, 2018
I don't fear it but the idea of digital only can make the marketplace even worse for consumers, and with streaming even worse those are issues I think will make or break the industry.

I am rather surprised that so many in here are cheering this on given that we don't know the full consequences of digital only and in the near future streaming will have on the industry and consumers.

I am on the why not both bandwagon give consumers a choice.

Also the idea of preserving older games is something that has not gotten enough attention and will become a bigger issue in the future.

Feb 3, 2018
Nope, not at all. I made the switch prior to this generation and I won't ever go back.

I do understand the issues that people have with an all digital future, so I hope that things like data caps, slow speeds and bad consumer laws for digital goods will all be improved on and become a thing of the past.

I think consumer laws for digital goods will become even worse when it becomes digital only and even worse when it comes to streaming remember who the players are they have no interests in consumer rights that's why I am not cheering this on.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeh, too much power given to the companies like this. They can increase prices (a lot of games are 70€ digitally, don't bother with it) and sales are upto them (loving the ps sales for the past few years)

Oct 27, 2017
I don't fear it but the idea of digital only can make the marketplace even worse for consumers, and with streaming even worse those are issues I think will make or break the industry.

I am rather surprised that so many in here are cheering this on given that we don't know the full consequences of digital only and in the near future streaming will have on the industry and consumers.

I am on the why not both bandwagon give consumers a choice.

Also the idea of preserving older games is something that has not gotten enough attention and will become a bigger issue in the future.

Unfortunately I think most people don't give a crap about preservation. They just want to play the new thing now, and forget about it in a few years.

Yiepekaiyei

Nov 20, 2017
Brazil
I do not fear a digital only future. I fear a streaming only feature. Being a latin american gamer, it would be the end of my gaming days.

Deleted member 45957

I don't mind digital as long as my games are not tied to DRMs : No cluttering with plastic boxes, easy archiving and conservation.
GoG is the perfect solution for me : No DRM, optional Steam-like interface, and full installers for archiving.
I even set up an automatic script on my NAS to regulary download/sync the installers of all the GoG game I own, in case of sudden GoG vanishing.

Now all these games tied to shitty launchers (Epic, Ubi, Bethesda ...), there's almost a 100% chance that they'll be forever lost 20 years from now.

Oct 30, 2017
I've never understood people buying digital games on multiple devices. Tens of thousands of dollars tied to machines that you may not even have around. Xbox has made this less of an issue but for people using a nintendo and Sony hand held or console, your shit just sits there never to be traded, given away, sold or played. If a game could be free of its attachment to specific hardware, I would be okay with digital games.

However, digital subscription services is something I see myself using. It will be more cost effective for me to play games on a service when and how I want than even buying physical. So I'm okay with the move towards that.

OP
OP
Bioshocker

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
That's why I still collect Blu Rays like crazy, because now, you own these movies, beautifully in single cases, nobody can ever take them away from you, in the best quality with shit ton of extras, forever. That's a convenience that you will loose when your only option is subscribing to a service at some point.

Exactly!