• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you expect Sony first-party games to target 60fps on PS5?

• I expect the majority of first-party PS5 games to be 60fps

Votes: 325 24.2%
  • I expect the majority of first-party PS5 games to be 30fps, just like the PS4 generation

Votes: 1,017 75.8%

• Total voters

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
As a general guess, no. They will push visuals which the general audience cares about more.

If a greater PC focus comes in to play like MS, I could see more games becoming 60fps as a baseline. MS has started to make this move with some of their titles and I believe will continue into the next generation because of that PC/Console focus.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
No, they'll largely target 30fps and it's nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with visual priorities.
Agreed. Most people get excited about graphics and not fps. IMO, the average gamer cares nothing about framerates and more about graphics.

Gamers didn't' appreciate what Gears 5 was able to accomplish visually running at 60fps on a console. It was the most impressive thing outside of Red Dead 2(One X) and God of War this generation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
Sony is the only publisher I actively expect to go 30 FPS in all games to crank up graphical performance, because they don't believe higher framerates count as better graphics.

I think developers will be allowed to include a performance mode though, so fingers crossed.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Those optional high performance modes were present only on midgen upgraded hardware. The games were originally made for 30fps.

I fully expect that Sony's big exclusives will [except racing/sport games and smaller titles from London/SudiosJapan/etc] continue with maxed out visuals at 30fps. As long as the framerate is locked, I don't even notice it [on a gamepad, but on PC 60fps is vastly superior when using mouse].
That was simply to due the weakness of the horse power of the base model. Had Sony only cared visual with 30 fps, they wouldn't be bothered to add performance mode with pro model at all.

PS5 hardware won't have the technology limit, maybe not native 4k with 60 fps but a dynamic res performance mode should be easily achievable . With their competitor going for higher frame rate I don't think Sony feels no pressure not at least giving the option.

You prefer maxed graphics with steady 30 fps, go for it but there are also players prefer frame rate to visuals. Having options is win win.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I think in order to not look bad compared to the series X sony will prioritize a lower framerate to push the graphics of there first party game to a comparable level to Microsoft's own offerings.

Sony will bet on 99% of people not giving a shit about framerate and they are right.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Sony first party will chase those gorgeous screenshots like they always do. 30fps with ridiculous visual fidelity.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their big 3rd person single player games will still be 30 I bet. They'll want those to be visual showcases that blow people away in videos and screenshots.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think in order to not look bad compared to the series X sony will prioritize a lower framerate to push the graphics of there first party game to a comparable level to Microsoft's own offerings.

Sony will bet on 99% of people not giving a shit about framerate and they are right.

You really think the power gap is big enough that Sony needs to go with 30fps to reach the same visual fidelity and not "look bad"? Lol, the gap is like 18%. They'll just run at a slightly lower dynamic resolution and be done. Most people won't be able to tell any difference at all outside zoomed in comparison videos.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
You really think the power gap is big enough that Sony needs to go with 30fps to reach the same visual fidelity and not "look bad"? Lol, the gap is like 18%. They'll just run at a slightly lower dynamic resolution and be done. Most people won't be able to tell any difference at all outside zoomed in comparison videos.

Sony and Microsoft both remember the xbox one getting dragged through the mud for having games running at 900P, instead of 1080P. So yes, I do think that sony will do whatever it takes to not find themselves in that position this gen.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I doubt it, Sony first party seems to prioritize cinematic presentation which invariably means graphics>framerate.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Microsoft both remember the xbox one getting dragged through the mud for having games running at 900P, instead of 1080P. So yes, I do think that sony will do whatever it takes to not find themselves in that position this gen.

I'm not sure "all these games run at 60 on XSX and 30 on PS5" would look much better for them. It's gonna be the same framerate targets on both, with dynamic resolutions as the standard on both, and the PS5 will just drop the res a bit lower a bit more often. And it won't matter.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see them at least add modes that are VRR-friendly if the CPU is up to the task. I don't think we'll see it across the board but I'm hoping a few of them make the jump to 60.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like them to, and I hope they will. Maybe not for thier openworld games (Spiderman) however.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think they will go 30 so they can make there games graphic heavy

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I would expect the devs to have the same priorities they did with the PS4 until they show us otherwise.
First post. Best answer as usual.

Sony's marketing has always been leaning towards "graphics" more than anything else, so I expect them to keep pushing the boundaries of visually advanced games at the expense of high framerates.

But then again, we'll see.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I don't get the defense of 30fps. Do they still make games in 480p? No. Technology evolves. No one would accept a 2020 game with a resolution of 480p anymore.

Just like 480p, 30fps is an outdated compromise for when 3D gaming was new and hardware was weak.

At some point 60fps will be the absolute acceptable minimum for consumers, and the sooner the better. No one would like to operate a smartphone that runs in 30Hz/fps and for good reason. It will be the same with games.

Hardware is getting so powerful, developers should get 30fps out of their minds. Like, whatever they do with their games, ensure 60fps first, no matter what. Let 60fps become the new minimum standard that is currently 30fps. Consumers will adapt sooner or later.

Framerate directly impacts gameplay after all, which should be the most important aspect of any game, no matter the genre.

We've played games in 60fps 25 years ago, even slow paced RPGs and such. A minimum of 60fps shouldn't be much to ask for in 2020.

Also, games in 60fps age much better.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will we see these games offer a locked 30fps and a "Performance Mode" with a locked 60fps but with reduced resolution and settings?

Yes they should offer an option. Yes the sky is beautiful but for the first hour.

I don't get the defence of 30fps. Do they still make games in 480p? No. Technology evolves. No one would accept a 2020 game with a resolution of 480p anymore.

Majority of people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 + you can't show how smooth your game in screenshots.

I don't defend it but I understand why.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get the defense of 30fps. Do they still make games in 480p? No. Technology evolves. No one would accept a 2020 game with a resolution of 480p anymore.

Just like 480p, 30fps is an outdated compromise for when 3D gaming was new and hardware was weak.

At some point 60fps will be the absolute acceptable minimum for consumers, and the sooner the better. No one would like to operate a smartphone that runs in 30Hz/fps and for good reason. It will be the same with games.

Hardware is getting so powerful, developers should get 30fps out of their minds. Like, whatever they do with their games, ensure 60fps first, no matter what. Let 60fps become the new minimum standard that is currently 30fps. Consumers will adapt sooner or later.

Framerate directly impacts gameplay after all, which should be the most important aspect of any game, no matter the genre.

We've played games in 60fps 25 years ago, even slow paced RPGs and such. A minimum of 60fps shouldn't be much to ask for in 2020.

Also, games in 60fps age much better.

I disagree. Especially if you want to go the cinematic route. The 30FPS is definitely a aesthetic choice that I would choose for some games.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Majority of people can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 + you can't show how smooth your game in screenshots.

I don't defend it but I understand why.
They can't tell the difference, but they can feel it.

And games are moving images with sound, so screenshots shouldn't be the baseline.

Like I said, consumers would adapt to the new graphical standards eventually. At some point "60fps graphics" would be the new baseline for screenshots and no one would notice anymore.

That dude's username is literally 60fps. I think his opinion is locked in.
I will upgrade the name to 120fps once 60 is standard.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They can't tell the difference, but they can feel it.

And games are moving images with sound, so screenshots shouldn't be the baseline.

Like I said, consumers would adapt to the new graphical standards eventually. At some point "60fps graphics" would be the new baseline for screenshots and no one would notice anymore.

I will upgrade the name to 120fps once 60 is standard.

That's the problem. They have to play it to feel it. It's just easier to sell graphics.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I think there won't be much of a reason to not have a performance mode in more games on PS5, even among games that don't only target 60FPS. 1080p/60 or 1440p/60 should be achievable every time, unless the game is doing something insanely non-visually computationally intensive. Even if it's not a locked 60FPS, the performance mode is always welcome to me on PS4 Pro. It's the only way I play GoW for example.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Imagine getting a next-gen console, in 2020/2021, and the games are still 30fps. I know that it's not going to happen, but I still voted for 60fps in the poll out of wishful thinking.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I expect the majority of all next gen games to be 30 fps, despite the fact they should easily be able to hit 60

AfterCoffee

Feb 18, 2019
I think there is very few ps4 pro games that does not hit the gpu close 100% at 40 fps or whatever the target is for locked 30 fps. Probably going be the same on ps5, jaguar or not.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is funnier after the Assassins Creed Valhalla news.

Games made specifically for next gen and/or made for a specific platform have a much better chance at 60 fps than a cross-gen multiplatform game like AC. I'm guessing it's just a current gen game with effects cranked to Ultra. Even gaming PCs will struggle with that.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
I want to revise and give credit where I think it is due.

I think SSM will target 60 FPS for God of War and ND will always target 60 FPS on MP modes.

Beyond that, best I can hope is that Insomniac offer a FPS performance mode for Spider-Man, because gameplay wise, that game should be 60 FPS.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No. Give me fidelity and more things happening on the screen at once. Give me a 60fps option for MP however.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
No, but they should. Naughty Dog's 60fps remasters were amazing, and games like God of War 2 or Spider-Man 2 would be much better with 60fps.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I honestly wonder how people hype themselves up to a point where they expect (or demand) consistent 60fps performance with all the bells and whistles on $400-$500 hardware. Like, c'mon.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Possibly some ps4 boost mode games if they support it but to be honest its gonna be the same as the ps4 gen, because the developers will make the same technical decisions and decide to go more eye candy and 30fps if they wanted Horizon to be 60 fps it could have been it just wouldn't have looked as good.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
No. I expect a few more games to start targetting 60 fps than this gen, just like this gen we basically stopped seeing any 30 fps shooters outside of Destiny, but that's about it. Big, cinematic games and open world RPGs will continue to target 30 and I'm fine with it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Especially if you want to go the cinematic route. The 30FPS is definitely a aesthetic choice that I would choose for some games.
If you mean that 30fps would enable higher fidelity visuals in those cases, then sure.

Otherwise, I can't think of a 3D game with an asthetic that is improved at 30fps vs 60fps when all else is like-for-like. Not even one tbh

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The reaction from the last week or so gives the perfect indication as to what their priorities should be, people want better looking games, how smooth the game runs is second to that. Nice graphics sell games, if they can't achieve that without dropping to 30fps then they'll drop to that (there's plenty of first party games that would likely fall into that category for Sony).

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I do think there's a good chance a higher percentage of PS5 first party titles are 60 fps as compared to the library of PS4 first party titles.
  • Naughty Dog very explicitly sang the praises of 60 fps with TLOU:R, aimed for 60 fps with UC4, and delivered it in its MP mode. They clearly understand and value 60 fps, even if they couldn't achieve it in their SP modes. Given that their next title appears to be an MP game, and will likely be PS5-only, I think they go for 60 fps standard with this one.
  • SSM went to the trouble of including a performance mode with GoW, so they clearly value higher fps. I think there's a good chance the next GoW has a performance mode, if not making 60 fps standard. PS5 has the power to deliver it along with excellent visuals, and the game's combat benefits greatly from higher fluidity and responsiveness.
  • Sucker Punch included a performance mode with ISS:SL on PS4 Pro.
  • While reverting to 30 fps this gen, Insomniac has historically embraced 60 fps.
Other than that, I pretty much expect 30 fps aside from the obvious like Gran Turismo. Horizon 2 I fully expect will be 30 fps, for example.