• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think the combat system will be like?

• Action

Votes: 300 58.4%
  • Turn-based

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Hybrid

Votes: 205 39.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With both Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy VII Remake being more action oriented compared to previous series entire do you expect the same for Final Fantasy XVI when it's eventually revealed.....or do you think Square will have it be turned based or something of the like? Perhaps something like Xenoblade's combat?

I generally prefer action based combat systems but I wouldn't mind a big budget turn-based rpg. Closest we got is DQXI and Persona 5.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It will be, and I'm going to bitch about it, I'm sure. So tired of crappy action combat systems.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It'll 99% be action or hybrid like VIIR. Personally I think further developing the latter's take could be a really great direction to go.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'd like something like X or XII, or even something a little closer to Xenoblade but I do expect them to go action again. But I enjoyed FFVIIR's combat a lot so if they can apply systems like that on top of it rather than the XV direction I'll be okay with it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hopefully it's like FF7R's. That was a fantastic way of having action combat with turn-based elements

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Dale Copper didn't someone at Square talk about making a game like Horizon?
Naoki Yoshida said that after seeing non-Japanese games such as the new God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn at E3 2016, he felt frustrated that Square Enix didn't have similar games to show. Yoshida claimed that he will definitely make a similar AAA game within the next 3 to 5 years, or else people wouldn't believe in him and Square Enix anymore. It's highly likely this is the project he was talking about.

www.famitsu.com

【小高和剛×桜井政博×吉田直樹】 週刊ファミ通コラム執筆陣が語る、ゲーム制作への想い - ファミ通.com

週刊ファミ通でコラムを連載中のゲームクリエーターが、執筆の様子からお互いの悩みまでを膝を突き合わせて語るスペシャルクロストーク! 週刊ファミ通2016年8月18・25日合併号(2016年8月4日発売)で掲載した内容に加え、未公開トークもギリギリまで公開します!
www.dualshockers.com

Square Enix's Newest Division Has Started Full-Scale Development on an Undisclosed AAA Project (Updated)

The project, led by Final Fantasy XIV's Naoki Yoshida, was first revealed in 2016 by Square Enix and seems to be a brand new IP.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it'll be something like FFVIIR's system with a few tweaks here and there (making the dodge more useful, for one).

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yup, probably. Sucks cause the combat in FFXV is actually just incredibly boring and I imagine we'll just get more of that

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It's been working for them so I don't see why they'd change now. As much as old-school JRPG fans prefer turn-based there are a staggering number of people who consider it outdated and refuse to touch it. SE knows this and will try to cater to both as much as possible. The best we can hope for is something closer to VII Remake, which was an action system paying as much an homage to turn-based as it possibly could. Though they won't use VIIR's combat, that will stay a VIIR thing, that's the direction they'll likely look at.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I personally want something more FFXIV-ish because that still allows them to be relatively stat and content heavy, but I doubt we'll get that :(

Loved VIIR's combat, but I don't think we'll see that outside of more VIIR because SE has never operated like that.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played VIIR, but from what I've played of XV and others I really feel like they should fully commit to one or the other. Either go full turn based and make all the fights very methodical and strategic with per-character instruction, or go full action and make a deep and fleshed out action combat system that relies on timing, dodges, and stringing attacks.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I personally want something more FFXIV-ish because that still allows them to be relatively stat and content heavy, but I doubt we'll get that :(

Perhaps, since the game is presumably developed by CBU3, I imagine they'll likely take more from XIV more than any other in the series.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I expect and welcome it. Would also love to see a return of the roadtrip aspect, if it is full fantasy like I think then it would be awesome to have the party travel in a caravan or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Turn based final fantasy hasn't been a thing since FFX. Turn based + round based hasn't been a thing since the third entry. Final Fantasy has been action / real-time oriented for far longer than it hasn't.

I wouldn't mind a big budget turn-based rpg. Closet we got is DQXI and Persona 5.

That genre pretty much went through its death throes in the seventh generation, so outside of big name franchises like DQ or Persona I'd doubt we'd see much of it. Fingers crossed though.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
It certainly seems thats the trend with the latest FF games but I'd personally prefer something akin to XII, with improvements of course. Keep it real time but also strategic.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
After the incredibly satisfying combat of Final Fantasy VII Remake I don't believe they can go back to a pure turn-based combat system. They just need to figure out the weak points and improve it to perfection, but that might take two or three iterations.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 Remake's combat was a near perfect to me - a perfect blend of old and new, so I'll take more of that.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
A hybrid system similar to FFVIIR's is what I expect. That was too good for them to not build upon. I'd prefer either that or purely turn-based but let's be real. The latter isn't happening. *sighs* Making it just action-based like FFXV's would be the worst timeline.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Personally I'd like turn based, but I'd take the Real Time with Pause style of remake & not mind a ton. Better than 15 combat at least.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Do I expect it? Yes. Do I wish for it? No.

Yea same. They keep going action and it sucks. I'm in the middle of VIIR and it's just awful. It's in a middle ground between strategy and action and it is just bad at both. XV is probably the game I have disliked the most in years and at this point I'm just hoping they make a good Final Fantasy game again ever.