• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
It should be. XBX is already doing titles in 4k. I'd expect the next generation of machines to do it too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
expecting pro/x enchanced performance and visuals to be the base standard. these consoles won't be cheap but they won't be $1500 either

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The tech with checkerboard rendering and modem aa solutions like taa mean it's not really necessary to have such a high native resolution.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think it'll probably be less standard than 1080p has been this generation. I suspect a lot of devs will go for upscaling rather than native 4k.

I'm also unconvinced by the thought that games with a resolution versus frame rate mode will be a big thing, certainly before the inevitable mid gen refresh anyway.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I would say we're not there yet.

However, I'd love to see the option to choose between 4k/30fps and 1080/60fps.

I would also really hope that we never have to see a generation 9 game that dips beneath 1080p, even with dynamic resolution.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, yes.*

*I think developers learned a lot by supporting the Pro and One X and there'll be lower-resolution performance mode options.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As long as it's some fake 4K with a really good checkerboard, I'm fine. Some Pro games looks stunning on 4K TVs even if it's not full 4K.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
4K 30fps on raytraced games and exclusives with too much focus on the visuals.
4K 60fps on the rest.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not just the standard but we will even get some games at 8K. Those talking about lower than 4K like 1440p are really underestimating next-gen. Some are even talking about 1080P really? Then you don't understand how next-gen works at all.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that we can already play a massive game like RDR2 at native 4K at a damn near steady 30fps on a current gen console shows that engines are slowly becoming 4K ready. I bet we'll see a lot of native 4K titles at 30fps, some at 60 and others upscaled for that dream 60fps.

Jan 4, 2018
Ideally, 4K/60 or 4K/30 w/RTX as options but who knows what next gen will actually be capable of. I think 4K will be the push regardless of how well the consoles handle it.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sit about 10 feet away from my 65 inch C9, and from that distance,I can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k, at least on filmed material. Rendered video might show a bigger difference, but from my perspective, I don't think 4K is really worth the resources. I'd rather play at higher frame rate and have better effects.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely no way. LOL, the thought alone is silly. 1080p is not going to be a thing anymore. At all.

This is very likely going to be reality. Sure some legit 1080p games might happen but I expect them to be in the vast minority. I think almost every game will be QHD to 4k. And the games that aren't real 4k(which will be most) will be checkerboarded to 4k just like what we're seeing right now.

I think most if not all games that are 1080p next gen only happen because developers want to include a high refresh rate option like 120/144hz.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Even top tier PC GPUs struggle with 4K in modern games. I think folks just forget how massive amount of pixels 4K really has. This image puts it into perspective, the jump from 1440p to 4K is pretty massive. That's 2.5 times the pixels vs 1440p.

main-qimg-771ea8d595c94be1ff9826eb64b2b42a

People expecting to get 4K with raytracing will be disappointed. Here's for example how Control, which uses raytracing extensively, performs on PC. Note that MSAA in this game is not particularly expensive, a few frames at 2x compared to off.

control-all-ray-tracing-effects-on-3840x2160-performance.png

So with the fastest card on the market you get 21.2 fps with all RT options enabled. A console won't get even close. But this game is also a great example of how reconstruction, sharpening etc techniques can do a great job to the point that you won't even care that it doesn't run at native 4K. So in future games it will be the same things as now:
  • Checkerboard rendering - looks almost native in stills, not so much in motion. A good compromise but has some artifacts.
  • Dynamic resolution - can work well too where it renders at 4K in say cutscenes and uses lower res elsewhere.
  • Sub-native resolution with sharpening filters or reconstruction. This can look excellent so running at say 1440p-1880p would work well.
In my experience there isn't a massive jump in fidelity between 1440p and 4K, it's more for small details being represented better. Better upscaling and sharpening techniques will allow for similar (but not 100% equal) image quality as native 4K at lower resolution.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I hope you do realise that if a console does real native 4k next year and also takes advantage of the things that make shadows, lights, hair, clothing, trees, etc, look the way they do these days at high settings, that console wil cost at least 1000,- or even more if they want to maintain something close to 60fps?

Don't care about 60FPS. Happy to pay £700+ for a powerful console.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
unless AMD's ray tracing leapfrogs Nvidia's first gen efforts, I'm finding it hard to believe we could get anything closer to 4K with RT unless they're making PS4/XBO games but with RT

There will be Native 4K next-gen games with RT that are very graphical intensive running 30 FPS and even 60 FPS for some. All you have to do is wait, you know ,and we all will see. Many doubts will be erased after, I hope so anyway.

Oct 29, 2017
It would be a PR disaster if either PS5 or Scarlet didn't aim for native 4K on all titles. People would accuse the console manufacturers & developers of moving backwards from the current Pro consoles.

You will get 4K 30FPS with reduced visuals and you will like it. 8K will never happen with this hardware, despite the claims.

If anything, it's probably healthier for the industry anyway as it puts a cap on the amount of money and development time that can actually be pumped into pointless visual fluff (though make no mistake, more developers and publishers will die chasing the dragon regardless).

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
4k will be the standard and rightly so. I'll be getting a 65" in a few years so I'll enjoy it then. For now my 49" 4k TV will do me.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I expect they'll try and fail, kinda like last gen. I just hope they give the option for 1080p with better performance.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
This is a weird topic, you're basically asking if devs should always give up IQ in the chase for true 4k.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice if the standard was 1080p/120fps or 1440p/60fps instead. 4K really doesn't make as big of a difference as high FPS does. 4K tv's upscale 1080p content nicely.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
in theory 4k HDR should be standard.

But im still the only person i know that has a 4K hdr tv. And i got mine in 2016.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
4K is the golden standard, it's pretty, it looks good when done right but we aren't there. Even on the more powerful hardware, you're forced to either drop the detail level down or suffer at less than 60FPS and that's not acceptable.

The problem we have is 1080p is old news and people want the next step. Logically it would be 1440p/2K but most TVs don't support this so it's overlooked. Sure, PC gamers have access to it and have been saying 1440p is the sweet spot for a while now, but as long as consoles are deciding factor, 1440p isn't an option.

So does that leave us? I say having the option to upscale and not going true 4K is a nice compromise. I'd rather have 60FPS (and above) than a higher resolution. I'd love for 1440p to become adapted outside of Samsung VRR sets.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be 4K 30fps like 1080p in 360 gen. Aiming and failing 99% of the time. :/

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i'd be more than fine with 4k via checkerboard/temporal injection if it means pushing up the framerate/ adding up to the game's scene complextiy.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Even top tier PC GPUs struggle with 4K in modern games. I think folks just forget how massive amount of pixels 4K really has. This image puts it into perspective, the jump from 1440p to 4K is pretty massive. That's 2.5 times the pixels vs 1440p.

main-qimg-771ea8d595c94be1ff9826eb64b2b42a

People expecting to get 4K with raytracing will be disappointed. Here's for example how Control, which uses raytracing extensively, performs on PC. Note that MSAA in this game is not particularly expensive, a few frames at 2x compared to off.

control-all-ray-tracing-effects-on-3840x2160-performance.png

So with the fastest card on the market you get 21.2 fps with all RT options enabled. A console won't get even close. But this game is also a great example of how reconstruction, sharpening etc techniques can do a great job to the point that you won't even care that it doesn't run at native 4K. So in future games it will be the same things as now:
  • Checkerboard rendering - looks almost native in stills, not so much in motion. A good compromise but has some artifacts.
  • Dynamic resolution - can work well too where it renders at 4K in say cutscenes and uses lower res elsewhere.
  • Sub-native resolution with sharpening filters or reconstruction. This can look excellent so running at say 1440p-1880p would work well.
In my experience there isn't a massive jump in fidelity between 1440p and 4K, it's more for small details being represented better. Better upscaling and sharpening techniques will allow for similar (but not 100% equal) image quality as native 4K at lower resolution.
Thanks. You have the same thoughts that I do and what I posted earlier in the thread albeit without charts. I think TOO many here on Era think these new consoles are going to do native 4k/30fps or 4k/60fps with Ray Tracing when a $1200 GPU alone can't even remotely hit 30fps as your chart suggests. I think what we are going to see is games with RTX at dynamic resolution, games without RTX hitting Native 4k/30fps or 4k/60fps depending on the game. Ray Tracing is highly expensive and taxing on a GPU. Perhaps the new consoles use a lesser RTX implementation.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. You have the same thoughts that I do and what I posted earlier in the thread albeit without charts. I think TOO many here on Era think these new consoles are going to do native 4k/30fps or 4k/60fps with Ray Tracing when a $1200 GPU alone can't even remotely hit 30fps as your chart suggests. I think what we are going to see is games with RTX at dynamic resolution, games without RTX hitting Native 4k/30fps or 4k/60fps depending on the game. Ray Tracing is highly expensive and taxing on a GPU. Perhaps the new consoles use a lesser RTX implementation.
RTX is Nvidia. who knows what AMD's method will be called

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The good news is that 1080p/1440p will become the new 720p/900p which fine by me.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'd expect dynamic 4k for consoles and lower resolution for PC as the typical resolutions.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
My 1080 Ti sort of gets me there and I expect the new consoles to be faster than a 1080 Ti, so I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of native 4k content.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Nope, how many games were natively 1080p around the start of this generation? How many are on the base systems?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah I think so (not always native though)

Xbox One X hit native 4k on more games than some people first expected, so next gen consoles should manage 4k.

Thankfully developers use a lot of techniques these days, Native, Checkerboarding, Temporal Injection, so they don't need to push for native resolution if they don't want / need to.

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
4K sure but definitely not native. Expect dynamic resolution and various reconstruction technique especially if they try to use ray tracing. High end pc hardware is already struggling with current gen, next gen games are going to be even more taxing

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I expect 4k30 will be the standard on consoles. I'm also totally okay with it, I don't have any problem playing at 30 fps.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna bet 10 bucks that more performance implementations like in NIOH will be included in next-gen games instead of specifcally aiming for one thing, where you can choose visuals (4k) over frame rate, frame rate over visuals, or a balance of both (probably something as low as 2k or 4k checkerboarding)

Oct 27, 2017
4k60fps with ray tracing and HDR is a pipe dream for next generation consoles. Games would need to be upscaled or make use of checker boarding tech, as well as cutting corners on certain graphical settings to even hit 4k60fps.