• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Not really fasting per se, but on my cardio days I've gotten into the habit of having some PWO in the morning to get energized and then do intense cardio, take a shower and then have breakfast. Great way to wake up!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the weekend and I'm working out in the morning, I'll go without eating

Evening workouts, I 100% need to eat

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I won't exercise after a big meal but after a light breakfast or small lunch, I will.

Seanjeezy

Oct 30, 2017
Seattle
Yes if training in the morning, otherwise a quick 500 cal 15-20 min before working out in the afternoon. Used to train fasted all the time a couple years ago when I was doing keto

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've done it for periods of time before. I say if you have a good diet getting that morning workout before breakfast feels awesome. I'd usually have a cup of espresso on my way to the gym, and didn't get too hungry until I finished the workout and sat down for a minute.

I'll have my home gym stuff set up soon so I'll go back to the more rigerous stuff soon.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I don't think i'd make it through a workout at full potential without eating an hour before lifting.

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I go running when I wake up in the morning. I just roll out of bed, put on my shoes, lock my door and start running.

I eat dinner around 7:00 PM, and wake up anywhere from 6 to 8 in the morning. So usually I'm running anywhere from 11-13 hours since my last meal.

Same

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Fasted cardio is broscience anyway

There are studies that showed that fasted cardio has no added benefits to weight loss so why torture yourself

I can confirm. I've been training since I was 16 and have done multiple bulk/cut cycles. It's calorie in and calorie out with the correct macros. No reason to torture yourself. I'll even go as far to say that you don't even need cardio to get shredded.

Bunty Hoven

Oct 30, 2017
Always do my (non-cardio) workout just before breaking my weekly 24 hour fast for double-ended reasons. Supposedly there is a greater hormonal response to strength workouts when fasted and a big workout certainly helps me to down all the food I want to after breaking a fast. Also gives me a hella chill evening after.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Nah, I gotta eat at least a little something when I do cardio in the mornings. Usually like an orange or some yogurt.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
Sometimes I'll do some light cardio in a fasted state, but I usually like to do at least some moderate pre-carbing.

Nov 1, 2017
Jogging and running is fine fasted. Heavy weight training how ever becomes more and more questionable the longer you're in the fast I feel. I've done it before, but I always at least want to feel like my energy stores are topped off

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Not lately no, but on days off I would go to the gym around 1pm which would put me at 16+ hours usually of not eating. No issues but I rarely feel hungry so IF was pretty easy for me to get into.

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
Yes. I've been doing fasted cardio, walking outside in the morning has replaced the treadmill for now. I do 4 miles and along with good nutrition I'm down 12 pounds.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I thought it was important to eat before working out. I forgot to eat breakfast before working out 1 time and thought I was gonna die how terrible I felt.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
I workout 5-6 times a week at home on a Bowflex Trainer as soon as I wake up and don't have any issues. My wife can't without feeling ill, she has to eat something so usually works out after breakfast or evenings. There have been occasions where I felt "off" in the mornings and drinks a small glass of OJ but it doesn't happen often...

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Typically yes. Currently I work out M-F with, fasted cardio every morning right after waking up, and I lift at night a few hours after dinner. I've also done plenty of fasted weightlifting as well though. Can't speak for everyone of course but I got used to lifting on an empty stomach and I do think lots of people can. Takes time for the body to adjust to it.

That being said this is just driven by my scheduling. I think at the end of the day the difference between working out fasted or not isn't worth stressing out about as far as gains or fat loss. Workout whenever works best for you and however is most comfortable.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I currently eat between noon and 8pm, I workout at 6am. So definitely all nice and fasted.

Do get pretty hungry though on heavier days before noon

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Only thing i consume before a workout is C4 pre-workout powder and a zero calorie/sugar/carb energy drink. I also drink water throughout a workout and afterwards i eat like a beast
That shit makes me itch like a crackhead. I recommend trying Amino Energy by ON
If you want the best price to performance-ratio I would recommend buying an inexpensive brand of caffeine tablets. It's the only supplement proven to actually aid workout performance in placebo-controlled studies, apart from pure fast-absorbed carbohydrates. Myprotein's Pure Caffeine is affordable if I remember correctly; $3.50 for 200 doses of 200 mg.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want the best price to performance-ratio I would recommend buying an inexpensive brand of caffeine tablets. It's the only supplement proven to actually aid workout performance in placebo-controlled studies, apart from pure fast-absorbed carbohydrates. Myprotein's Pure Caffeine is affordable if I remember correctly; $3.50 for 200 doses of 200 mg.
While true, Amino Energy has the benefits of BCAA's as well.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
While true, Amino Energy has the benefits of BCAA's as well.
BCAAs are literally the building blocks of protein. When protein breaks down in your body you get BCAAs. Anyone who gets a decent amount of protein in (>1 g/kg or 0.5 g/lbs bodyweight) through food will have no need for a BCAA supplement.
There have been no peer-reviewed studies showing significant benefits to BCAA supplements which weren't funded by supplement companies and/or fundamentally flawed in their methodology.

Here you can find a collection of the science-based evidence for BCAA benefits (spoiler; it's slim pickings):
examine.com

Branched-Chain Amino Acids benefits, dosage, and side effects

Branched-Chain Amino Acids: The latest and most important research. Expert analysis and supporting evidence for practical effects, potential risks, and more.

And here are two studies concluding that BCAA supplementation is of no use, the first is an experimental study and the other is a literature review where the authors searched databases for studies supporting the use of BCAAs:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Whey protein ingestion in elderly results in greater muscle protein accrual than ingestion of its constituent essential amino acid content

It is recognized that both whey protein and essential amino acids (EAA) are stimuli for muscle protein anabolism. The aim of the present study was to determine if the effects of whey protein ingestion on muscle protein accrual in elderly are due solely ...

Branched-chain amino acids and muscle protein synthesis in humans: myth or reality?

The concluding quote from the literature review from 2017:

"A dietary supplement of BCAAs alone cannot support an increased rate of muscle protein synthesis. The availability of the other essential amino acids will rapidly become rate limiting for accelerated protein synthesis. Consistent with this perspective, the few studies in human subjects have reported decreases, rather than increases, in muscle protein synthesis after intake of BCAAs. We conclude that dietary BCAA supplements alone do not promote muscle anabolism."

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I don't fast, but I often run in the morning having not eaten anything - if that counts?

Have done 21k before having eaten nothing since the night before (maybe had a gel pack halfway through).

I do try to have a slice of toast or something now if i'm not heading out first thing though.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Something like cardio or calisthenics: sure. Planing to do some heavy lifting on an empty stomach is a recipe for disaster tho.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I can confirm. I've been training since I was 16 and have done multiple bulk/cut cycles. It's calorie in and calorie out with the correct macros. No reason to torture yourself. I'll even go as far to say that you don't even need cardio to get shredded.

I've actually went on a cut and got shredded with zero cardio. Just counting calories and losing a pound a week. So it's definitely possible, however i wouldn't recommend not doing any cardio. Even though i was at 8% body fat my cardio was terrible.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
On weekends, absolutely. Tbh most of my best workouts happen on an empty stomach. I just seem to have way more energy.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BCAAs are literally the building blocks of protein. When protein breaks down in your body you get BCAAs. Anyone who gets a decent amount of protein in (>1 g/kg or 0.5 g/lbs bodyweight) through food will have no need for a BCAA supplement.
There have been no peer-reviewed studies showing significant benefits to BCAA supplements which weren't funded by supplement companies and/or fundamentally flawed in their methodology.

Here you can find a collection of the science-based evidence for BCAA benefits (spoiler; it's slim pickings):
examine.com

Branched-Chain Amino Acids benefits, dosage, and side effects

Branched-Chain Amino Acids: The latest and most important research. Expert analysis and supporting evidence for practical effects, potential risks, and more.

And here are two studies concluding that BCAA supplementation is of no use, the first is an experimental study and the other is a literature review where the authors searched databases for studies supporting the use of BCAAs:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Whey protein ingestion in elderly results in greater muscle protein accrual than ingestion of its constituent essential amino acid content

It is recognized that both whey protein and essential amino acids (EAA) are stimuli for muscle protein anabolism. The aim of the present study was to determine if the effects of whey protein ingestion on muscle protein accrual in elderly are due solely ...

Branched-chain amino acids and muscle protein synthesis in humans: myth or reality?

The concluding quote from the literature review from 2017:

"A dietary supplement of BCAAs alone cannot support an increased rate of muscle protein synthesis. The availability of the other essential amino acids will rapidly become rate limiting for accelerated protein synthesis. Consistent with this perspective, the few studies in human subjects have reported decreases, rather than increases, in muscle protein synthesis after intake of BCAAs. We conclude that dietary BCAA supplements alone do not promote muscle anabolism."
I mean sure, most supplements are just glorified placebo's. But I've noticed a change in muscle composition and definition after taking them some 7 years ago. Most of this shit is in the mind anyway.