• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's that time again where I look around my Room and think "Boy, I have so much crap here!"...even though I don't have more crap.

Anyway, I bought the first few boxes of the Lego Mario Set with Reward Money I got from work to bide the time during the Pandemic in early 2020, but haven't touched it since and thinking what to do with it now haha.

I also have a box of like 40 Amiibo from like 5 years ago which I could probably sell for £3-5 each. But I don't want to sell them as i'm attached to the crap too much!

Any collections you have which you feel are taking up some space in your room/home that you just do not want to get rid of?

Also, my parents have a bookshelf with some books on which they don't even read!

Deap92x

Jun 1, 2021
Felt like that with physical games but i just got into lego and i love it even though i dont have the space for the builds

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022
I've lived abroad and moved between countries for 5 years so all my stuff pretty much fits in two suitcases.

Games, books, movies, music, all digital or the few physical pieces of media I buy are sold after use. Zero clutter. I guess one day I'll put down roots and accrue stuff but never really had any interest in collecting.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I have hundreds of games I haven't touched in years. Considering parting with them but the time investment to catalogue and sell them puts me off.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I go through phases. I collected a ton of dvds and blurays, then hated the space they took on my bookshelves so I dumped the cases and put the discs into wallets in a cupboard. Only reason I haven't thrown those out is because they're ripped to plex and I might need to re-rip.

anything that is cheap/not worth selling on as it'll take longer than I can be arsed for a tiny return, I'll either donate or throw.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I have 3-4 boxes of comics that I semi-regret buying. I don't have an oppressive amount of them or anything, but it's a hobby I dipped into for a few years then lost interest in. I still grab a few graphic novels every year though. I just think singles are a waste of money and a poor reading experience.

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
anything that is cheap/not worth selling on as it'll take longer than I can be arsed for a tiny return, I'll either donate or throw.

I think that's also it.

Everyone around me wants to scold me for not wanting to sell things or donate it...so I keep it for no reason.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I don't keep stuff unless it has some more or less some utility or some personal value IE photos, paintings, etc. I just don't see what the use is to have desk decorations. They serve no purpose. I suppose they exist to show to others you have things around you? A nice looking bowl for keys or change will usually look better imo. Items with use that look good and well placed is what I do. The rest is the bin. I tried throwing out wedding cards we got but my wife protested. We haven't even watched the wedding video after almost 3 years. XD humans like to keep clutter for some dumb reason.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If you feel attached to that "crap" as you say, then in my eyes it's not crap to you. Don't listen to people who are urging you on to get rid of material posessions. It may work for them, but maybe not for you. If you genuinely feel ike you should get rid of stuff, do it, but not because someone else said so.

That whole "less is more" is bullshit. It works for some, not all. Figure out what you want to do and act on that.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have a room full of comics I've barely looked at in 5 years.

I wouldn't even know where to start getting rid of it all and if I did, I'd probably regret it.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Not at all. Collecting stuff can certainly cause a lot of clutter, but it's also fun and fulfilling. Wouldn't ever want to part with a single thing I collect.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I collect stuff. I am trying to get out of the collector mindset, but it's so hard.

Getting rid of stuff. There's that pull of remembering how much you paid.

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
Some Amiibo are worth much more than £3-£4. I've sold most of mine now and some of them went for £50 or so.

edit: Just realised mine were boxed and yours might not be.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I collected so much vintage Star Wars stuff but collecting never ends. It's a prison, a disease.
Sold everything. Even though i miss it sometimes, i'm still glad i did. I'll never start collecting again, i hope.

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
Don't regret, but sure my art collection takes a lot of wallspace.
One thing i did - get rid of all my blu ray cases and put them in sleeves - now i only have four boxes instead of a massive rack.

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's corny to reference Marie Kondo, but the basic mindset she encourages helped me so much when I had to declutter a few years ago. Heavily paraphrasing, but:

Does it make you happy to own these things? Then keep them. They have value to you. Does owning them make you feel bad, like you have an uncomfortable dead weight hanging around your neck? Then get rid of them. You'd be happier without them.

That's really all it boils down to. You can keep as much crap as you want, just don't make your life worse by keeping stuff you don't actually want.

(She also encourages donating rather than selling, but I definitely have some stuff where I've fallen into the awkward trap of "this is too valuable to give away but I'm too lazy to sell it"... One day!)

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have over 700 games I bought back in 2003 that I don't know what to do with. I want to get rid of them but I don't know how to get the best price and avoid being shortchanged. Not that I have anything valuable. I just don't know how much its all worth and don't know where to start. It's all sitting in storage right now.

Cloggerdude

Just tell me what you need.
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I started cleaning out/selling most of my video game collection a couple of years ago. I was big into handheld stuff, but I also had a ton of random retro gaming. It honestly felt pretty good to get rid of it all and I was able to use the funds to finance some new projects I was interested in.

I still kept a small amount (Pokémon), but that was because that meant a lot to me. All the other random stuff I had? Gone!

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Yes, 1:18 diecast cars. I was really into them at one point but I'm pretty much over it.

And I got rid of the boxes, so it would be hard to ship them if I tried to sell them.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Nope, if anything I've regretted getting rid of things. I make games so, through my whole life stuff I've collected has essentially been reference material or inspiration. I never know when I'll need something again and I usually do.

Case-in point I'd held on to my old CRT tv for a long time. I moved out of my parents house, set up my office, wanted a nice CRT for my desk so I could play NES/SNES games as reference. My parents got rid of the CRT on me and now it's like $400 to get one which is ridiculous. I had a bunch of stuff my parents chucked that would have been useful now, and is extremely expensive to buy. But they just threw it out. Or I had an awesome keyboard synthesizer that I wish I still had to make music on. Fuck.

Alternatively I worked on a game where dinosaur reference would be extremely useful. Found out I still had my old collection of Dinosaur Magazine from when I was a kid. Extremely useful. Same for the revoltech I had which helped me design and understand mecha for a game.

Not to mention living in emptiness is creepy and anxiety inducing. I dunno how people live in such empty white houses devoid of anything like you have no personality or interests. Just a ghost. Feels dystopian. It makes every room insanely tense. I miss when people had houses that look like people lived in them and didn't just talk about how thier neighbour didn't cut their grass yet. What a boring existence we've created for ourselves, suburban white people life.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
You go through waves.

I was feeling the same way OP when going through college. Lugging around a bunch of games to college apartments that I was not planning to play anytime soon drew lots of comments. I didn't sell it then just because I wanted to make a logical opinion about the collection when I got my own place. Now that I have that, my game collection is a window into the past that I cherish more and more the older I get.

I just recently I hooked my PS3 back up and started revisiting PS1 games. I swear to you when I opened Street Fighter Alpha, the manual smelled just like my childhood home. Memories came flooding back of playing my brothers in Alpha. Not only specific matches, but what room we where in, how the PS1 was setup, what we were eating, etc. Just stuff I could never specifically remember without some type of aid. Playing just amplified the effect.

I'm also excited to share these things with my kids. They probably won't care. But at least I have the option. Until then, I'll keep my collection and enjoying playing Parasite Eve for the first time this Halloween!

I have over 700 games I bought back in 2003 that I don't know what to do with. I want to get rid of them but I don't know how to get the best price and avoid being shortchanged. Not that I have anything valuable. I just don't know how much its all worth and don't know where to start. It's all sitting in storage right now.

It's easier than ever thanks to pricecharting. Just check the recent value and price accordingly. Lower if you want to sell quickly, higher if you want the most profit. If you are in a bigger city, Facebook Marketplace is legit opition if you don't want to deal with shipping on eBay.

If you don't want any hassle at all, but still want a return, go to a local retro store and see how competitive there offer is compared to pricecharting. Not the best way to maximize profit, but at least you are supporting a local business and the local retro gaming community.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
The life of a vinyl collector. Thankfully I'm more careful about what I want to buy but there are still some vinyl (about 50 or so out of 1100) that I don't mind selling.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I unfortunately feel this way about plushies and stuffed animals. They take up a lot of space quickly and when you are ready to let one go they are so cute and its hard to get rid of them..

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
After hauling over half of my book, comics and film collection to the attic to free a room in the house: yes.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I have hundreds of action figures I bought during the last 5-6 years and tons of books. I want to get rid of the majority of them but I'm not in the mood to sell them on eBay. I figure I'll wait until I'm desperate for money because the headache of selling them individually would be too exhausting and I wouldn't get much selling them in bulk.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes.

Comics, games, figures, etc.

But in the last couple years I've managed it more of selling things I grow out of love with.... or see a better replacement coming. And then I also find other things to collect (like going from 6inch figures to 1/6 scale, like, what. Why. How did this happen!?!)

As long as you manage it, and the finances especially, go for it. Space too, especially if you have a partner/family.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Only Lego. I have hundreds and hundreds of sets and getting rid of it all is a huge pain in the ass.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I bought a LOT of TV DVDs in my time, and they're all stacked in a corner somewhere. There's some stuff I can't get on streaming (as far as I know) so it isn't a complete waste. But 9 seasons of X-Files in those old larger fold-out boxes take up quite a bit of room.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. I have a lot of tech junk collected over the years. All have some form of nostalgic "value". Nevermind all the recent videogame stuff I've been collecting esp. gaming headphones and retro handhelds.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about to start getting rid of my old games. I've kept almost everything in pristine condition but have realized the time I thought I'd have to play these things will simply never come around so I need to get rid of them. I have tons of ps1, ps2, GameCube and games from those generations that I'm never going to play so might as well get rid of them. But going through the process of taking pics and posting them on eBay is fucking exhausting. I have such little time as is.

Rubber_Cat

Aug 30, 2019
Same as a lot of folks, I've got a lot of old DVDs I should probably just ditch now, I really can't be arsed with physical barring a few special cases these days. I've come to realise I don't care quite so much about the quality of the picture so much as the story of whatever I'm watching so streaming is fine in 99% of cases where I can consume it and "forget" about it taking up space. But no one wants DVDs and just tossing them all seems wasteful.

Similarly, I've got a lot of retro consoles that I'm doing nothing with (don't worry, no leaky batteries and I check the caps every so often too) other than having them sitting in boxes as I no longer have the space for them and recently did a "back of the envelope" costing for insurance and got a bit of a shock. But I know if I ever did get rid of them I'd regret it immediately, but they should probably go to someone who'd make more use out of them. Games I'd still keep.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I work at a game studio so its okay to have a ton of collectibles and toys on your desk so i didnt mind then...but i was given the option if i wanted to work from home perpetually and i said yes so now i have to deal with dozens of figures I've collected over the years and this fucking ridiculous giant D.va statue mech i bought drunk on a dare at a company party.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I collect books and I like having my mini library too much to ever want to get rid of it, even if they make moving a ginormous pain in the ass.

I don't care at all anymore about the 20ish amiibo I still have. I haven't sold them because I'm too lazy to figure out how to do it. Anyone want them? 😆

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
99% of collectibles end up being worthless.
It can be worth it to keep track of the individual items that actually do have value. The price of some sportscards and comics really spiked in 2021. Now they've corrected and prices have dropped significantly. If you were paying attention, there was a window of opportunity when you could have made some decent money for specific items.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I have hundreds of games I haven't touched in years. Considering parting with them but the time investment to catalogue and sell them puts me off.

This was me, but we have a local retro game store that handles buying in bulk and gives reasonable quotes so we just liquidated like half our gaming collection (everything before the 360 era basically). Trying to get rid of a large collect piece by piece looks like a nightmare.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I buy/collect Hot Toy figures and have yet to regret anything I have. It's awesome though because the community itself is constantly selling or trading what they have with other collectors. And since a lot of figures are only sold for a period of time the value for them can go up quite a bit since they become hard to find. I already have a few that could get me a good chunk of change if I wanted to sell them. So I don't think I'd ever regret having them tbh.

Ant78

Oct 27, 2017
At one point I had close to 500 movies on DVD and blu-ray. Last year I decluttered and trimmed that down to like maybe 25 movies between my wife and I. Lost a lot of money sending them to decluttr but I was happy to be rid of them.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's easier than ever thanks to pricecharting. Just check the recent value and price accordingly. Lower if you want to sell quickly, higher if you want the most profit. If you are in a bigger city, Facebook Marketplace is legit opition if you don't want to deal with shipping on eBay.

If you don't want any hassle at all, but still want a return, go to a local retro store and see how competitive there offer is compared to pricecharting. Not the best way to maximize profit, but at least you are supporting a local business and the local retro gaming community.
At this point I'd be happy with like $700 which is basically a buck per game. I don't know my values. I'd have to manually put them all into the PriceCharting site. I have a Numbers spreadsheet with them all in it currently. It's just a lot of work. Plus most of them have stickers all over them from GameStop and EB Games. Some with cases are cracked. I have no way to test pretty much all of them at this point. So I'd want to just get rid of it all as-is. I'm sure I spent well over a thousand or two on them back in 2003. Now I'd be fine with getting whatever I can. lol

I'm near Charleston and I know there's classic stores around so one day maybe I'll get up the energy to bother looking into it.

Oct 27, 2017
I collect Transformers. I've probably got thousands of them by now.

I enjoy them a lot, but sometimes I think about how if it all burned down I'd be fine with never getting back into it.

I'd love to sell off a ton of them, but that's easier said than done. I don't want to go through the hassle of selling each one individually, but selling in bulk wouldn't get me anywhere near their value. Years ago my plan was to donate ones I didn't want to kids, but it turns out finding a place that will accept them is even harder than selling them.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm at that point with physical games. i way prefer digital these days and i've been rebuying a lot of my physical games on digital but i don't want to get rid of my physical games collection.