• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before, but in my estimation, only about 10% of posters in any particular thread have any idea of what they are talking about.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Software Developer.

When someone says something along the lines of "It's just a line or two of code" when they want a new feature makes me want to strangle them.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Software Developer.

When someone says something along the lines of "It's just a line or two of code" when they want a new feature makes me want to strangle them.
I'm right there with you. Some of the "Why don't they just *overhaul of feature to have scaling functionality*?" I get actual anxiety thinking of the test time that won't be allotted for a change that large.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I have a master's in public administration.

Political threads on this forum, particularly dealing with how bureaucracy works, are fucking infuriating.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I'm a mental health counselor working in the field of substance use disorders. I typically don't engage with people on the internet regarding psychology. It's not worth it. This place is definitely not the worst I've seen though.

Oct 27, 2017
Having played quite a bit of Call of Duty and Battlefield in the past, I consider myself somewhat of a strategic military expert, AMA.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I have a very hard time resisting topics that might have discussions around "why doesn't this website use the space around the sides" and logo redesigns, especially if said topics involve potential "fixes."

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Intellectual property attorney for games here - yes, most posters have no idea what they're talking about.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a climate scientist. People have a habit on here of taking the worst case climate projection scenarios and amplifying them by a factor of 17. The number of "we're all going to be dead in 50 years" posts just makes me bang my head against a tree.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I work as an accountant for a software/hardware development company. Era misses the mark constantly on basically everything business related.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm a mental health counselor working in the field of substance use disorders. I typically don't engage with people on the internet regarding psychology. It's not worth it. This place is definitely not the worst I've seen though.

Same here, the BS a lot of people talk about cults on here enraged me too - just people not knowing anything at all

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
Nope, I would be surprised if most people had even heard of Power/Stationary Engineering and there is very little chance of it ever coming up in a thread.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
This is the Internet in a nutshell no?

Given our current world crisis as someone who is a medical professional I am so sick and tired of seeing people who are so ill-informed and could actually find said information through a 30 second search on Google but instead choose to believe their "younger brother's sisters' cousins' dog who knows this guy who is seeing this kid who some other dope post about it on their facebook."

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
There's a lack of humility in this thread. It's just people saying others are completely wrong when chances are even with your super expert tier knowledge you are wrong too. Like, OP, why would you be considered the perfect go to person for marketing compared to others on ResetEra?

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've accepted that the majority of humans don't actually do proper research and just spread misinformation as gospel.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I got a degree in psychology and I work for a telecom company, yeah, there is so much wrong with what people post on here it's laughable.

Constantly. The sheer lack of understanding about even basic business fundamentals is astonishing.

Oh man, people would run any company they head straight into the ground.

Mar 30, 2019
I do hope that if I made an egregious error someone will call me out for it. I know it isn't anyone's responsibility but please call me a dumb dumb asshole when I'm wrong. Please.

I'm not kidding.

Last edited:

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I've been an environment artist in the video game industry for 10 years. Some of the shit people say here s fucking hilarious.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Worked as a substitute teacher for a while and it is disheartening to see so many people saying it's safe for kids to go back to school, I dunno if people just forget what school was like or think teachers are like superhuman or that there's ever enough janitors to keep things clean or what

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
Yup never heard of it haha

Its a pretty wide field but basically we are the operators in charge of large scale boilers/steam generating equipment, turbines, refrigeration equipment. So we are in power plants, refrigeration plants, arenas, large buildings with hot water or steam boilers etc.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a teacher. Everyone thinks they know how a school should be run or how people should be educated because they were once a student and have spent a lot of time in a classroom. Even worse when they're an engineer or a business person and think they can transfer their skills over and it makes them have bold new ideas that people who study education could never have.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Its a pretty wide field but basically we are the operators in charge of large scale boilers/steam generating equipment, turbines, refrigeration equipment. So we are in power plants, refrigeration plants, arenas, large buildings with hot water or steam boilers etc.

That sounds scary honestly be carefuly.

Oct 28, 2017
Not in finance occupationally, but this is a big one, and topic that is valuable for everyone to learn more about.

edit: I also need to stop bothering with some of the bad faith ignorant takes that I challenge occasionally. It is pointless .
Happens a lot here with tech and enthusiasts and to lesser hobbyists. They know enough to know more than the person next to them but not enough to know what they don't know.

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a medical doctor. And yes. There's so much misinformation, even from posters who think they've done their research.

I just shake my head and move on.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Attorney, yes and it's hilarious. I don't post much as I generally assume other attorneys on resetera have more experience with the matters that are discussed here (I work in a pretty niche field of law)

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
There's a lack of humility in this thread. It's just people saying others are completely wrong when chances are even with your super expert tier knowledge you are wrong too. Like, OP, why would you be considered the perfect go to person for marketing compared to others on ResetEra?
It's not strictly a lack of humility. Obviously even self-styled experts make mistakes -- and often. The issue is that, for productive analysis of competing hypotheses, each participant in the discussion must have some foundational knowledge. Agreeing on key assumptions and establishing a shared lexicon helps too.

Sure, folks without a ton of background knowledge can provide trenchant analysis that enables experts to rethink their assumptions and revise their estimates.

But here's the thing: the things about which experts have the propensity to be wrong, and those novices get wrong, are entirely different. That's what experience and education provides. It doesn't mean we're infallible, but it does mean that armchair analysis from people without that experience rarely yields a productive, arms-length conversation.

You can't "both sides" this.

It's also hard to manage on a discussion forum.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
heh....yeah.

I try not to let it get to me, but lately it's been tough as many people jump to "lazy" or "low effort" (or the occasional "greed") arguments on here. That's hard to listen to when there is so much dedication and hard work being done behind the scenes to make a game the best it can be. And most of the time I just shrug.

Sometimes I'm actually impressed with how much people do know, though. There was that thread that was calculating various PS5 price strategies based on financial outlooks and I was like...damn, there are some very smart people in the mix out here!

Oct 27, 2017
All the time. To put it nicely I don't think this place and professionals mix.
I have worked in two industries (3 if you count part time retail) and have met plenty of people in those industries who didn't know what they were doing and were qualified to Masters level.

I mean look at the Dr. who stanned for Trump on the vaccine a couple of weeks ago who also had a Youtube channel about Demons fucking her patients? Hell look at Trump!

"Professional" don't mean shit.

Oct 28, 2017
I have worked in two industries (3 if you count part time retail) and have met plenty of people in those industries who didn't know what they were doing and were qualified to Masters level.

I mean look at the Dr. who stanned for Trump on the vaccine a couple of weeks ago who also had a Youtube channel about Demons fucking her patients? Hell look at Trump!

"Professional" don't mean shit.
Eh that's fair, I'm mostly venting anyway.