• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I work in graphic design which is inherently pretty subjective but I do have to roll my eyes at some of the hotter takes on the board.

I DO feel genuine frustration at some of the opinions on mental illness and mental health here. I've seen a couple cries for help that have been met with some (but thankfully not all, not even the majority!) responses of essentially "you don't have it that bad, qq". That's not helpful in the moment. You don't out-logic suicidal thoughts without a lot of listening, compassion, and addressing root issues.

EDIT: To keep this productive. If you do find yourself responding to something like this consider if you've gone through something similar and made it to the other side. This could be an opportunity to share your story if you're comfortable doing so. Most of all urge this person to seek professional help in-person or via hotline depending on urgency. Those people have the actual training and skill to help someone unpack what they're going through and when you're deep in it that's a necessary first step.

Last edited:

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
There's a definitely a few people in forum that understand software development and how things can happen. However, almost no one understands hardware or hardware development and I just keep quiet most of the time.

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a minister. I wouldn't say I get frustrated so much as feel hopeless about the state of Christianity in the eyes of gaming enthusiasts. Granted, a lot of the negative perceptions are well earned due to the way modern Christians have been poor representations of the faith, so I see where the negative views come from.
Still, any thread about Christianity is deeply depressing for me and is generally full of misconceptions of what the faith/The Bible teach. I don't reply often, as online discourse generally doesn't go well in matters of politics and religion.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
The problem seems to start with the media narrative, picking up on complainers, because complainers always make the most noise. Uninformed journalists then say things that are just flat-out wrong, and then other journalists and social media pick up on those things and repeat them until, to the general public, the lies become "truth". There are journalists who stick to facts, or actually do some research, but their stories get lost among all the other noise.

And then people on ResetEra pick up the false media narrative through rumors, guesswork, social media, and maybe occasionally actually reading a misleading article, and then they spout off as if they are content-area experts, while offering no sources for the lies they're repeating.
You are spot on
I'm biting my tongue reading The Kapernick Madden thread
I could explain in detail why he's not in the league I have before it involves a cash settlement and Eric Reid
I covered the story spoke to Nate Boyer the former soilder who taught him to kneel to make his point.
but all that would occur is someone would brand me a racist for disagreeing with the mob.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I work in Government administration and the sheer amount of people who have no clue how things actually work is alarming.

I've straddled administration and policy for 20 years, and am now back into policy. Yeah, I am always scared by how quickly people jump to conclusions about the intent behind a policy (and made with almost zero reading).

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
No longer my profession, but Era is hilariously ignorant regarding what the U.S. military does and how it actually works.
Yeah, it is pretty weird, but it's fascinating at the same time the types of attitudes and misconceptions people have.

On the flip side, one thing I've learned over the years is that people in varying professions make a lot of rationalizations or hand-wave away a lot of things, especially when you move from areas of fact to analysis & opinion.

It's one thing to say, "You're factually wrong about this, here is the actual fact." But I've found that how people interpret and extrapolate those facts tend be to just as colored by bias and personal opinions as anyone else. They're more informed, but two people in the same profession with the same information often come to differing conclusions more times than they admit.

In my field, I talk to a lot of different people across all races, classes, genders, geographic areas, industries, and professions. I'll talk to cops and they'll tell you about all the training they receive, and their procedures, and all of it -- and it all sounds completely reasonable and they genuinely believe what they're telling you. But then I see how they treat black people and there's an obvious disconnect between what they see and believe and reality.

Or I'll talk to someone who works in a place that's under fire, say a coal-fired power plant (or a natural gas plant in California), and they all will tell you how safe everything is, and how the dangers are overblown, and they have a pile of facts, data, and charts to support what they're telling you. And it all sounds reasonable. And then I'll visit a "green" company and they'll tell you that those guys are full of shit and their solution is just as good, if not better, than "legacy" approaches. Obviously, people are operating within their own bias bubbles and interpreting facts and data through their own perceptual filters, so you usually have to find an open-minded engineer who'll plainly lay out the pros and cons of each approach, so you can have a good understanding of everything involved.

Or I'll talk to an engineer in a facility and they'll describe a machine or process they designed and the problem it solves, and then later talk to a mechanic who works on that system who'll tell me it's a piece of shit that causes more problems than it solves. And both will tell you that the other one doesn't know what they're talking about, even though both intimately know that machine, just from different points of view and drawing wildly different conclusions based on their own personal knowledge, experience, and inherent biases.

And you run into these things over and over again everywhere you go, and eventually my takeaway is that what you think you know largely depends on your role and experience, which may be more limited than you want to admit or are even aware of. This isn't to wave away people who make factually false statements, and then cling to those beliefs when corrected by a competent person. That's obviously its own thing and driven more by ideology or some weird personal crusade than anything normal.

But from what I've seen, people tend to operate in a bubble as far as their profession is concerned (specifically, their role within that field) and make as many faulty assumptions and draw as many poor conclusions as anyone else without realizing it.

You'll have city and other municipal workers tell you about all of the procedures and penalties in place to prevent fraud, waste, and abuse...and yet, I always find fraud, waste, and abuse. Right now, I could bid on a program and win it, because I know the people involved and they know the tricks and loopholes to get around certain restrictions. That's corruption on a very small scale, but it's everywhere and at all levels. It's just an example of the trust and benefit of the doubt given by workers in one part of the machine to the machine as a whole. They assume their personal experience is universal, or have enough experience to make an extrapolation that often doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

And this doesn't even get into the people who believe that their path to "success" is superior, simply because it was theirs. Or that one thing is better than another just because they prefer it (though they'll come up with very reasonable sounding rationalizations supposedly drawn from their professional experience).

At the end of the day, the people that I've come across who I would consider to be experts in their field/profession are those who've spent a number of years in different roles, at different places, at differing levels of responsibility, and have both strategic and on-the-ground knowledge. When it comes to Era, if someone presents themselves as knowledgeable in an area, I would accept what they say when it comes to actual facts within their expertise, but consider any conclusions or analysis that they've drawn to be limited (unless proven otherwise), though obviously more valuable/insightful than someone who's never operated within that field.

Dec 31, 2017
Medicine. So yeah, lol.

Explaining the whole medical report "scandal" from Bernie back during primaries really had me slamming my head against a wall.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
All the goddamn time. No one here has any idea of what the entertainment industry is actually like, lol.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing.

This forum (more so the gaming side) has absolutely no grasp of what a bubble it is.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately it seems like a decent amount of people here work in IT that most people don't say ignorant stuff publicly, but I've seen some things that were baffling and had insults thrown at me by one person when I corrected them politely.

I generally try not to speak definitively on things that I'm not familiar with but the Dunning Kruger effect is a thing so I'm sure I've said my fair share of ignorant BS.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know too many Project Managers here, so no, I haven't talked about my profession or read posts concerning it (good or bad).

I do read some posts on work related theads and lots of posts are either naive or very very stupid, they tend show a lack of professionalism or interest in their job (any job) or at best, any clear vision of future or ambition . I Don't engage because I don't think it will be productive, but I shake my head constantly.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. People here have bad history takes all the time and it often pisses me off but what can you do.

Oct 28, 2018
As a lead software engineer I'm usually baffled by the people here who push back on my insistence that being quiet and introverted are things I view as career limiting in our field 🤷‍♀️.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that a niche internet community almost overwhelmingly skews towards introversion but some of the specific vitriol I've gotten for even suggesting it is... A bit much.

Yeah I agree 1000%. That's not to say that you can't make a good amount of career progress being quieter and more introverted in the field of software engineering, but if you want to be at the top of the ladder you either need to be insanely gifted or have some decent people skills. Even if you're at your core introverted and quiet, being talkative and extroverted when you're at work is extremely valuable.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My imposter syndrome and too many experiences of being mansplained mean that I don't have any area I consider myself an expert in. So while I see things that are wrong related to my profession and field of study, say about statistics, I usually don't feel comfortable enough to chime in.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
all the time. I've spent the last 15 years building systems that run people's retirement and health plans. The best one was where I was trying to help someone with navigating the Insurance Exchange and others were chiming in not to trust me, because I was against single-payer like i was gonna fuck this guy over.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Not an Era, but I used to see people with limited knowledge of foreign languages saying "Heh, just give me a dictionary and I can translate a manga" lol

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Work in licensing at a major entertainment studio.

I regularly wish to correct various thread discussions on topics I have intimate and direct knowledge but prefer not to avoid potentially breaking NDA or risk enflaming an already(usually angry) set of posters trading on misinterpreting the facts. Sometimes it appears reason or rationale is thrown aside once the pitchforks are out.

So yea tough to just ignore but it's frustrating.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

And an often close minded and toxic user base keeps me from providing insight Or alternative opinions. Easier to sigh and just SMH from the sidelines.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of? I do tech writing, and my field is so obscure that most people don't even know it exists. Because most people don't know it exists, they rarely say anything about the job at all. It's nice in a way.

There are two related things about my job that are commonly said online, though:

1) No one reads the manual. <-- often true, though there are exceptions.
2) Grammar and spelling generally don't matter outside of academic settings, as long as people know what you're talking about anyway. <-- aw heeeeeelllll no.

Sometimes I gently speak up about it but I don't bother to argue either way. If everyone is already dogpiling in one direction, then I don't really care to stop it because it's just not worth the trouble, and I'll most likely just get a ton of hostility thrown at me.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I worked in press, both mainstream and then for a few years in the games press, so yes. I can get that experience on both this side and gaming side.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Graphic designer and photographer, yep absolutely. I usually just hit the ignore button on "experts" giving their totally 100% objectively correct opinions.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was an article about something in the industry that I am involved in and oh boy the hot takes were hilarious. In ERA's defense the headline was a little too click-bait, but even still.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I work in gamedev so the whole Gaming section of this forum is 95% people talking out of their asses that have no idea what they are talking about...

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
In the area of taxation yes, but there are rarely discussions focused on that and most Americans aren't well educated on that topic so I understand.

The other major area, business/finances in general... My Lord. I'm confident that 98% of the people who post on the gaming side about sales and forward looking predictions have never once taken the time to read through a 10-K/annual report... once.

They also seem to ignore significant pieces of history and current articles/reports from business journalists which would indicate that they are entirely off in their thinking.

People spew bullshit that they're confident about even though there are literally earning calls that strongly point out how wrong they are. This happens a lot on ERA.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm a writer and work in film so it's sometimes funny to see people completely deluded about how cynical all filmmaking is. I can assure you, even the most corporate, commercial films are made by such a diverse group of people and almost everybody working on the actual production is busting their ass trying to make something great.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a technology/media mergers & acqusition investment banker, so...yes.

I will say that overall some of the more egregious misconceptions about M&A have been going away, like "Japan doesn't allow foreign takeovers!", but enough remain. I don't comment on specific investment ideas for professional proprietary (also I am *strongly* urged by my bank to not say things on that front).

Beyond that, as other have mentioned, Era has a very poor understanding of other aspects of corporate financial planning and analysis. I point out some of the errors that crop up, but have been met with angry responses enough of the time ("bootlicker!!") that I've increasingly held off.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully, there are rarely topics about my field (automotive engineer), and if there is, it's usually a Tesla thread and doesn't go into the technical stuff too much (or at all lately).
The occasional topics about autonomous driving tech are often baffling though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in mining
img.axd

This kind. Not alot of discussion on here

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

This.

Even if you are an expert, trying to turn the tide of a thread that is decidedly one-way is next to impossible.

And that. And its not always a field I am a professional in either. The thread we had recently where anyone who owned rental property as a landlord was "The man" and a horrible person exploiting humanity was a total trip to read. Occasionally a poster would wade in and go "Wut?" and get piled on, then leave.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
You don't even need to go to reddit/era. There are enough idiots that are supposed to be experts in your given field that have no idea what they're talking about.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Accountant. Yes I see it, no I don't engage.

The amount of people who think Bezos is liquid with hundreds of billions in his checking account are mind-numbingly high.

Don't forget all of the tax experts out there too ("I told my boss thanks for the raise but no thanks, i would lose money getting bumped up to the next bracket!")

Oct 26, 2017
No. No one gives a shit about anything I'm an expert in, so it's never brought up for someone to be wrong about it. But the day someone does...! I'm ready to pounce.

That day will never come. Lol

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Communications & Marketing, with a specialty in employee/internal communications.

Big yes.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Yes, all the time. I'm a lawyer and focus principally on military intelligence. I dabble in R&D contracting.

Nearly every discussion about criminal prosecutions; the collection, exploitation, and dissemination of intelligence; and just the military in general is... an opportunity to excel. By educating.

I try, at least. But by that point, usually the thread's 3 pages gone and folks are debating a single hot take from Twitter.