• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I've matured beyond getting upset about it, but I do wish for multiple reasons that your average American would be more open to different methods of expression on the screen besides just traditional Hollywood narrative.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
On the rare occasion that I see someone bring up IQ or cognitive testing in general it's pretty much always wrong - hilariously wrong in most occasions.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda the opposite! I'm a professor and I actually love to see threads about classes, schools, etc., because it's usually the student perspective and that's helpful.

But I'm also a researcher, so... yeah. :/

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i am really sad that most people are answering with "no i don't mention it" ... like the discussions here would be SO MUCH BETTER if we had professional opinions tagged as such

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I work in Government administration and the sheer amount of people who have no clue how things actually work is alarming.

Mister Niwa

Oct 25, 2017
I work as a UX- / UI-Designer and yeah.. Let's say I can't agree with a lot of people and their opinion about design.

JPLMD

Dec 25, 2017
As a physician, yes all the time. But I don't blame people on here for it...even with extensive discussions with patients on various diseases and treatment options, there's so much bullshit being touted by "experts" that if you don't have any medical background, you'd have a hard time differentiating BS from facts. Even doctors sadly are not immune to believing something without doing their own research. It's easier to read a clickbaity article that provides a general summary of findings vs reading a NEJM journal that goes into the gritty details of research methods and results while STILL questioning the validity of certain studies.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The stuff I do is not discussed much but it's a hot topic right now in Germany and politicians and all kinds of people can't shut up spewing opportunistic propaganda 🤦‍♂️

Here, it's mainly focused on the hatred of the financial system.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a lead software engineer I'm usually baffled by the people here who push back on my insistence that being quiet and introverted are things I view as career limiting in our field 🤷‍♀️.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that a niche internet community almost overwhelmingly skews towards introversion but some of the specific vitriol I've gotten for even suggesting it is... A bit much.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's not just about what you do for work, it's also how ignorant we can be despite thinking we know about the world.

I work in retail, it's incredible how Americans think we treat retail workers compared to how they are treated and paid.

Myself I'm Swedish and would normally consider myself decently informed on a lot of things. But the BLM movement in the last year or so has opened my eyes on how bad some things are in a lot of places that, while I knew there were issues, I had no idea HOW bad it is.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Working in the Entertainment industry for a while now, but I just let is slide most of the time because last time I tried explaining something (usually it's about how something is produced or how rights/contracts work) I got shat on.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
i am really sad that most people are answering with "no i don't mention it" ... like the discussions here would be SO MUCH BETTER if we had professional opinions tagged as such

Same. Solid information gets hard to dig up these days so professional voices are a breath of fresh air. Though I do understand the hesitation from but professional doing risk and the headache of trying to explain to people who are willfully ignoring professional expertise.

Oct 25, 2017
I work in Government administration and the sheer amount of people who have no clue how things actually work is alarming.

As someone else in the public sector, I fully agree, though I don't find it surprising, or even alarming in some respects. There's a lot of arcane, dull shit that goes behind how governments work and there are much more interesting things to fill your life is. It's not like we teach people in the education system sufficiently.

The thing I can't fathom is how little people seem to grasp that organisations are made up of lots of people in lots of roles who make lots of decisions. As if any move by big companies are made on a whim rather than a series of escalated decisions through particular organisational mechanisms.

As a lead software engineer I'm usually baffled by the people here who push back on my insistence that being quiet and introverted are things I view as career limiting in our field 🤷‍♀️.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that a niche internet community almost overwhelmingly skews towards introversion but some of the specific vitriol I've gotten for even suggesting it is... A bit much.

One of my saltiest revelations when entering the working world is how much success relies on people skills, even the most self-sufficient roles that you'd think you can do alone in a room, you'll still have to deal with a client or a manager at least.

But oh well, guess that's how the world works. And it's not I'm a savant pulling off genius level moves on my lonesome anyway.

Last edited:

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Era users must be living in their own bubbles cause they're wrong most of the time at everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
People are really bad at drawing conclusions from academic articles and reading critically. It's not enough to read the abstract and use it as some unimpeachable evidence of whatever point someone is trying to make.

Also using info graphics as some kind of final answer on what are ultimately very complicated social issues in which things like framing and definitions make all the difference.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the time but i just ignore it. No reason to waste my time when people are always doubling down on their ignorance/misconceptions.

It wouldn't. People are very convinced that their feelings are true and they could not be wrong. Sometimes things are so very wrong that even if i wanted to ii don't know where to start.

Jan 11, 2018
As someone who has worked in multiple areas of the healthcare industry (health insurance, retail pharmacy, hospital), of course.

And even people who work within that industry but only have one perpective on it can be way off the mark too.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Yes, I work in water and power delivery in CA. It's not so much how wrong they are but the inability to see things from outside how it effects them.

Edit: Was also in the US Navy and operated nuclear plants on the ships. So you could add both military and nuclear power to the things people talk about but don't know anything about.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't come up THAT often here, but when it does it's I try to engage.

With COVID my industry has been more front and center and I have had to step away a few times.

Gogo_ZvC

Oct 29, 2017
Worked in support, moderation, and am currently in quality control/engineering in the tech industry. I just smh and scroll on.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
All the time. Business/strategy/management areas specifically.

I don't always engage. Depends on the topic and how much energy I have at the moment.

Deleted member 73264

Banned
Jun 28, 2020

Eh. I'm a quiet, introverted programmer with 14 years of professional experience, and I think you're kind of a dick for suggesting that. You might actually be getting the right amount of vitriol?

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a datacenter technician, so whenever "servers" or "infrastructure" come up from the perspective of a user of cloud services, there's a lot of wrong info. But the actual IT workers here tend to know their shit.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Most of the time when people post a scientific journal article to back their claim they have no idea what it is actually saying.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Yes as someone with over a decade covering/reporting live sports and producing call in shows.
I'm always baffled by what sports fans think is important (play calling/free agency/ the backup QB/Goalie etc)
Era is by no means the worst I have seen.
I like the sports community here
I have had a few conversations where I tried to explain an organization's position where I was told I know nothing because they wanted to repeat silly roundtable sports talking points about elite quarterbacks and only championships matter.
Typical blah blah in my industry
There is a lack of perspective to understand vs just opinions being thrown out on anything especially if you know what occurred.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Been a DBA/Data Analyst in a few industries over the years. I'll chime in if the answer is simple enough. Used to explain employer provided insurance and ACA logistics a lot in the old place, gave it up once we all made the move.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot go into Quantum Physics threads for my own sanity and can barely manage other Physics threads. I don't know what it'd be like to be anything approching an expert on areas like computer science that are far more frequently discussed here lol.

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I am a phd student in astronomy. While I appreciate people's enthusiasm, most conversations go to weird places. It doesn't help that most science journalism are incredibly poor, so people get the wrong impression from the get go.

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
Whenever anyone brings up Common Core, or No Child Left Behind, or testing in schools, literally everything they say is wrong. It's so wrong that it's almost impossible to correct them, because they don't even have the basic comprehension of what those things are, much less the capacity to understand the incorrect thing they are saying. Often the part they're complaining about has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic.

The problem seems to start with the media narrative, picking up on complainers, because complainers always make the most noise. Uninformed journalists then say things that are just flat-out wrong, and then other journalists and social media pick up on those things and repeat them until, to the general public, the lies become "truth". There are journalists who stick to facts, or actually do some research, but their stories get lost among all the other noise.

And then people on ResetEra pick up the false media narrative through rumors, guesswork, social media, and maybe occasionally actually reading a misleading article, and then they spout off as if they are content-area experts, while offering no sources for the lies they're repeating.

I've always assumed the same thing happens with every other area of expertise, which is why I keep my mouth shut and don't post very often.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Most things involving journalism and media, yes.

And yes, game devs were definitely the first people to come to mind. I'd have a permanent migraine trying to read through gaming side lmfao.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quite a few times. I've even had the pleasure of seeing incorrect takes on literal things I myself have done.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking with a friend a while back about why people keep thinking that know so much about the games industry, and I think part of the problem is that we have a lot of roles that share titles--but not necessarily responsibilities--with roles in the film industry. Producer, for example. Or Technical Director.

A lot of people think they know the film industry (and honestly I'll bet they don't) and therefore games, too.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Sometimes. I have done IT work and cable installations. Only time I have ever wanted to correct someone is when it comes to cable technicians being late. Usually its because the house before you needed more work than initially allotted. And the job is not pulled because there aren't any other techs in the area to take it.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
No one wants to talk about proofreading and developing documents for large-scale print and mail so no.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Almost any time people talk about business in general on this forum, I can't read the replies. People are infuriatingly ignorant.

I also work at a marketing technology company, so discussion about marketing / PR on this forum can really drive me mad lol.