• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
We all have opinions about everything, but likely are only truly knowledgeable about one or two things. Whether it be our job, life's passion, or whatever, we all have that area that we know we can pretty confidently hold our own in. Which makes conversations on the internet about that specific topic that much more painful to watch, when you know someone is posturing, or just being willfully ignorant.

The thought was brought up because I work in marketing and last night's Xbox Series S leak had a lot of people say this was an intentional/controlled announcement, which just blew my mind that people would think that. Lots of people throwing out "testing the waters", "A/B testing customers", and other concepts that just didn't apply here at all, it was very frustrating to read.

How do you react when you see people speak ignorantly about something you know a lot about? Do you try to jump in and gently inform, or do you just need to ignore thread and keep move on to retain your sanity?

Last edited:

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I've worked in games and animation and this board makes me want to rip my face off constantly

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I have a journalism degree from one of the best programs in the country and have worked for several very large publications. People's assumptions about "free speech" on both sides of the political spectrum are fist-shaking frustrating sometimes.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
this happens on reddit all the time. people are very loud about fields they are totally ignorant on

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Constantly. The sheer lack of understanding about even basic business fundamentals is astonishing.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Accountant. Yes I see it, no I don't engage.

The amount of people who think Bezos is liquid with hundreds of billions in his checking account are mind-numbingly high.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I usually keep my mouth shut because of NDAs and also it wouldn't matter anyway, people will believe what they will.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
How do you react when you see people speak ignorantly about something you know a lot about? Do you try to jump in and gently inform, or do you just need to ignore thread and keep move on to retain your sanity?

Nope. There's a general rule I use online to avoid aggravation or pointless posting, "I don't have to post."

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Kinda, plenty of gullibility here when it comes to a company's marketing/PR.

A company's usually an agglomeration of people with the goal of maximizing profits - their image is just a tool to aid them in that goal. A company's soulless, and it's definitely not your friend.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
When it comes to certain business decisions companies do, I GET why they don't it, even if I don't agree/condone it. Others will point out similar things and get called "apologists" or "company defenders" when it's not the case, since they are just putting out rational reasoning to explain why the company made those decisions. And I don't just mean stuff like EA microtransactions and junk (we all know THOSE are just for more $$).

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
This is me when people post about schools, AI, software development or a variety of other things:

Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

Edit: In reality, I quite often write scathing responses and then don't submit them. Life's too short...

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've seen some stuff about animation here that makes me shake my head, but nothing as bad as the stuff on Twitter. Like actually that shit hurts my head.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh... while I may sometimes get some stuff wrong about anime stuff, just simply because there's still a lot I don't know despite being involved more and more with it over the years (freelance subtitle work and such), seeing a lot of posts on this often are frustrating. One notable thing that bothers me a LOT is when people say "they blew the budget" and "man, they didn't have enough budget" on an anime, when the animation falls apart, when 9 times out of 10, the worst looking episodes tend to be the most expensive because of trying to salvage a terrible schedule.

And those are the episodes that always puts the studios into the red (and largely, because they aren't part of the committee, they make 0 money on anything, other than what the committee gives them to budget and produce the project, so...).

I've seen some stuff about animation here that makes me shake my head, but nothing as bad as the stuff on Twitter. Like actually that shit hurts my head.

Yeah, same. Twitter is WAY worse about this. Most posts legit are just out of ignorance, but some of the takes on Twitter are just... Oh lord.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Practically every day. I've tried to make corrections in the past but the misconceptions are too strong and some people don't want to listen. I rarely try anymore.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finance and economics for me. Some of the responses hurt so bad. I have the option of trying to explain, but sometimes there's so much groundwork and background knowledge required that I just don't have the time or energy to make a series of detailed posts on the topic. Especially when my usually pro-market posts spark controversy and get so many responses it would be difficult to address them all.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Not particularly. I work at an art studio that works with film and video game companies. Don't see that area discussed much.

I'd never jump in, though. Not here, not anywhere. Maybe when I was 14 I would happily argue on the internet with some random but not now, I really can't be arsed. I just bail and hit the ignore thread button if I'm done. Plus there's some right loonies here I'm happy not to engage with.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the "best" aspects of era, or the internet in general, really, is how people who have no idea what they are talking about are willing to speak so authoritatively on those things. Myself included!

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an engineer. My areas of expertise are cybersecurity and machine learning, but I'm proficient in embedded programming and software development as well. And yeah, most people on Era are quite ignorant about these fields, but that's most people in general, not just on Era.

Worldres

Mar 30, 2019
I'm an epidemiologist :(

If I took the time to correct people on the misinformation they are spreading, I'd be here allllll day. I almost always ignore it.

Sometimes I regret not jumping in. If I see ONE MORE poster spread, in utter self-superior confidence, the obviously false and easily corrected by a one-second google myth that "it's impossible to make a vaccine for a bacterial infection, duh!" ONE MORE TIME...

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Mortgage industry here so the amount of people just spouting off absolute bullshit is insane to me.

I have a journalism degree from one of the best programs in the country and have worked for several very large publications. People's assumptions about "free speech" on both sides of the political spectrum are fist-shaking frustrating sometimes.
Omg. I've taken all of two journalism classes when I was in college and even with my limited knowledge gleaned I tried to explain to someone the idea behind anonymous sources. "They're not anonymous to the paper, they're anonymous to the public."

Just the concept of trying to explain vetting sources was enough to drive me insane. I don't know how you do it. Especially these days with all the idiotic vitriol against media

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
By the same token you put two professionals in a room together and they will argue about the right way to do something. It's a different kind of argument, to be fair, but my point is a lot of us silently sit behind keyboards scoffing about how right we are and how wrong they are.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I just roll my eyes because most people on here are so deep down their rabbit hole they'll insult you before they actually admit they have no idea

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
ALL. THE. TIME.

But then again it simply isn't worth my while correcting people and even if I did take the time to do so all i would get is attitude because they browsed a Wikipedia page that one time and now they're a fucking expert and what do I know? /rant

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I work on housing, mental health, public health data, and in complex statistical models. So.

By the same token you put two professionals in a room together and they will argue about the right way to do something. It's a different kind of argument, to be fair, but my point is a lot of us silently sit behind keyboards scoffing about how right we are and how wrong they are.

Yeah that's fair too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I remember a thread of someone asking why studios didn't essentially double the amount of TV episodes they make a season, so.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
People get a lot of things wrong about journalism/marketing around here.

Guess I'll have some fun trying to prove doctors and epidemic experts in here wrong, them ignorant dumbfucks.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I think it's because most people's knowledge on anything is based on what they think and what they've been told. Not what they've actually had a look at and read about.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Constantly. But isn't that the nature of forums? 99% of posts on this board are people arguing about things they know sod all about, and that goes for me too.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think other people in my industry are dumb enough.

Most things people say about beer here are just personal opinion so nothing really for me to disagree with.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think for whatever reason on the internet the loudest people get the most attention. This is not an ERA problem its a humans on the internet problem.

The majority of people I see in most threads are pretty reasonable. But there are some crazy ass wild mofo's out there just saying ignorant shit on almost any topic you can name. I think reasonable people probably know that its not worth it to argue or correct those people either. I certainly don't. I usually avoid them like the plague.

Its no different than ignorance on Facebook or anything else. Just because your dumb ass can read or watch a YT video doesn't make you an expert on anything. But people love to portray that they are experts on everything on the internet.

Not sure why its so unacceptable to just say you don't fucking know...

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes and I just ignore it. I don't waste my time with some anonymous that think they are knowledgeable because they read a few articles online that support their confirmation biases.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. What bothers me the most is the absolute confidence people often have while spouting off 'facts' that are completely incorrect. I usually just ignore it though.

Oct 25, 2017
Any thread on FB/Amazon/Google advertising and their business models as it relates to monopolies is frustrating to read