• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Like many of you, I've been hopping around the Lands Between over the past few weeks -- dashing across rooftops, leaping from one rickety platform to the next, and so on -- and I've noticed that this game makes me feel things in my, uh, nethers when I'm pulling off these feats of acrobatics, gitting gud, and generally being an Elden Lord.

I have reason to believe that the tingles are unrelated to the quality of the game. I mean, just look at this:

I don't have a thing about heights in real life, and my platforming credentials are in order.

Am I going soft in my old age, or is this game just a vertigo machine?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Haha yeah lol, happens during tight platforming where falling through a pit could mean retrying a whole level or losing significant progress.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
When seeing those gifs, I feel a weaker version of that stomach-floats-up feeling that I get when falling down a roller coaster, but I don't know if I'd call it a tingle.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Are you referring to feeling a "sinking feeling in your stomach" similar to that of falling/dropping(like a roller coaster or thrill ride)?

If so yes, though I haven't felt it from Elden Ring, but I would get it all the time from SMTV. SMTV has no fall damage so I'd jump off some insanely high heights at points, and I found depending on how immersed I was, it felt like going down a hill on a roller coaster.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When seeing those gifs, I feel a weaker version of that stomach-floats-up feeling that I get when falling down a roller coaster, but I don't know if I'd call it a tingle.

Yeah, does OP mean the roller coaster feeling? Because I have definitely felt that a little from big Xenoblade jumps. But not, uh... Down there.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, the platforming in Elden Ring (and any really tight, intense platforming game really) can make my palms sweat and my butt clench lmfao. It's great! It means I'm really immersed in the game, and I think platformers are often the most immersive games for this reason, at least for me.

The platforming in ER reminded me a ton of the classic Tomb Raider games and how hairy and intense the jumps in those games were. Love it haha.

OP
OP
Weegian

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
friday-ladies-and-gentlemen.gif

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah this happens, memories from games such as jedi knight, last guardian etc. where platforming had consequences.
nothing from games like uncharted.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
The correct term is buttclench.

Happens all the time when jumping from a very high place with or without fall damage.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Jump straight up, hold run button and land. Keep holding the run button, now every jump at this standing position is a run-jump so it's easier to do without having to move. Any other "tough" jump is actually just slowly walking off the edge and landing safely.

May 26, 2018
Jump straight up, hold run button and land. Keep holding the run button, now every jump at this standing position is a run-jump so it's easier to do without having to move. Any other "tough" jump is actually just slowly walking off the edge and landing safely.

Also aim for whatever wall is behind a surface if you can. Important to stop momentum.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Only in VR. Flat screens have never made me motion sick, vertigo, scared of heights, etc.

I'm not even scared of heights in VR. It's literally just the dissonance between what I'm seeing and feeling and my body going "Nope! That ain't right!!!"

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, i do, souls is awful with this because you really cannot ever EVER tell if you're going to land safely

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Am I going soft in my old age, or is this game just a vertigo machine?
astro posted about this in the ER OT a few weeks back, there were a few replies as I remember. Not many games do this to me these days, but this one did... I actually had to shut my eyes a number of times when dropping down some ledges. Windlands VR was the last game to get me this bad. No idea why now.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Recently I have started getting a bit queasy when I jump off something high in a game, bu tit's not the height that's doing it. It's the ground geting closer fast that does it. Until I jump I'm OK with being high up.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
astro posted about this in the ER OT a few weeks back, there were a few replies as I remember. Not many games do this to me these days, but this one did... I actually had to shut my eyes a number of times when dropping down some ledges. Windlands VR was the last game to get me this bad. No idea why now.
I think it is a mix of the verticality (which is absolutely fantastic in this game), the purposly awkward platform designs, the strict fall damage, and the way deaths work in this game.

Just a perfect anxiety storm.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Not in videogames thankfully. Not sure if it's the same thing you meant, but I feel like my balls are shrinking when I look down from a great height irl (can't really put it in a better way tbh), I simply can't stand heights.