• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been considering getting an extended warranty for my new television. Been going back and forth over it. On one hand you get some piece of mind yet on the other hand there are articles from CNET that say don't worry about it.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Up to you, I always do.

The first extended warranty I ever got was on my launch Xbox 360 my Mom got for me. I'm so thankful she did because I went through 7 exchanges until I got my Elite that lasted the rest of the generation. I've bought them ever since just for peace of mind.

I'll never forget this dude bringing in a 60" Samsung back in the day when I worked retail, he was sweating hella hard from carrying it. He was just a bit past his 1 year warranty, like by a month or two. It sucked telling him there was nothing we could do and so he had to haul his TV back to his car.

The last TV I bought is going strong for 6 or 7 years but I still got a warranty on my current TV.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah for TVs because after that if it defects a back lamp section or something it'll basically cost less to chuck it and buy new.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
If it's like a game or something at Gamestop, lmao. If it's some pricey piece of technology like a game console, television or a refrigerator, then yes.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the extended warranty for my Samsung KS8000 tv and it paid for its self when the one connect box and motherboard were replaced.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
This dismissive attitude gets under my skin. If you don't want it, fine. But some people would rather have the peace of mind knowing they can just deal with the local retailer directly.

Companies make money off of extended warranties. The odds are you'll never use it. Sure, if you want to spend more money for "peace of mind" go for it but odds are you're throwing money away.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
it depends. for things that cant be fixed like headphones its amazing. i got a whole new pair same day when mine died. i basically paid 20 bucks for an 80 dollar pair of headphones because i got the store warranty.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Launch window consoles and that's it. If I buy a console over a year after its launch without hearing about major issues, no.

EDIT: actually, my smart phones too. If something goes wrong, I'll need replacement as hassle free as possible.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
No, most defects occur immediately under the existing warranty due to manufacturing defects, etc. If you are buying a reputable brand they don't put out shitty products that die between years 1-3.

Over your lifetime you may get a dud past warranty here and there but if you go buying warranties on all your shit you'll come out in the negative versus just replacing one out of ten things that fail.

If you are clumsy AF and want accidental damage insurance, that's a different story, but by and large extended warranties are retailers preying on people fearing they are the 0.01% of people that get a defective item with some kind of latent failure.

Not to mention most shit can be repaired for less than the cost of a complete replacement.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Rarely... it depends on the product. For a major appliance like a fridge or washer/dryer? We sprung for geek squad and it's paid off with a couple of repairs needed.

And for more expensive furniture, it has worked out well.

Just depends on if the price makes sense and what is covered.

Oct 28, 2017
Upside down
Did for my TV since the last one kicked the bucket a few days after its warranty ended. But I buy most things from John Lewis so you get an extended warranty for free.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I used to get Apple Care for my phones for the peace of mind. Now that they're waterproof and more durable (I've dropped my XR a few times and have a few tiny scratches that are only visible under the right light) I don't bother.

I don't think I've ever bought an extended warranty for anything else. I guess if I bought a nice used car, like a certified pre-owned Mercedes or something, I might. Can't think of anything else I'd even be tempted for.

Oct 25, 2017
Who did you get yours from? Does it matter how long ago you bought your items?
They are covered for 4 years from new, and I have to cover a small amount myself if an item breaks, but it's still worth it. Peace of mind and we used it twice now without problems or the premium rising.

I live in scandinavia though. I don't think my insurance company operates in the US (at least not under the same name).

DTJAAAAM

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Got them for an open-box iPod and a new PSP. Actually used it on the iPod since it stopped booting after about 6 months, but felt like I wasted money on the PSP warranty.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I got an extended warranty for my BMW. It cost about 3k but makes sense if there's ever something wrong with the car.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense to get an extended warranty for a $1000 TV or smartphone.

Doesn't makes sense to get an extended warranty for a $60 videogame lol.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
On computer hardware absolutely. I've had a video card brick after installing an nVidia update, and shipping that to eVGA cost me more in shipping and insurance than what my local computer shop charges for 3 yr in store replacement. Not to mention I get a replacement hardware within a week, and not the multi week wait I have to go through with the manufacturer. Plus with no limits to how many times I can use the coverage during the replacement period, it's saved me quite a lot.

Computer components are the one thing that I feel store coverage is great for, especially if the store you deal with actually has a good replacement plan. None of that ship your product to depot, where you wait for a repair that takes just as long as doing the RMA process yourself. Or you get one replacement and that's it.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
If it's less than 25% of the cost, I'll pick up an accidental damage warranty on new portable consoles. That gets rarer and rarer nowadays, though.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, No. Just making the purchase with my Amex credit card gives me an extended warranty

And honestly, I've never had any electronics break during the extended warranty period, I usually don't have electronics break at all. Usually my electronics are either duds right out of the box during the return/exchange period or they last years and years and years.

The one anomaly, my Microsoft Surface Pro, died just months after the extended warranty period I was offered at the time of purchase, so that was the closest, and ultimately the warranty I was offered wouldn't have mattered anyway.

The one exception I've made is I've paid the $30 extra for AppleCare on my wireless Powerbeats Pro earbuds. Batteries don't last forever, and nobody is cutting open wireless earbuds to do a battery replacement. If the battery goes to shit in 2 years hopefully they'll just replace them with a new fresh pair.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the item, and where I am purchasing from.
Bestbuy has a good protection plan. If anything happens just bring it back and swap for a new item.