• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
I've found myself in a rut and kinda burnt out on current games. I'm excited for the some new releases (Cyberpunk/DooM Eternal/Dying light 2) but I always find myself returning to titles I've long completed and seem to replay them more as of lately.
Picked up DQXI for switch a few days ago and I dropped it after a few hours and booted up Persona 4 golden on my vita I restored.
Is it nostalgia that makes people do things like this or maybe gaming as a whole is coming to a halt for me?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the time. The idea of a starting a new game, even one I've been looking forward to, always tips off the part of my brain that tells me it's work and something new I have to learn, so I always fall back on what's familiar and easy to pick up. Yet I continue to buy games in spite of this thought process so that I have them on hand when that one random day comes where I'm willing to put in the work to play it.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
WoW, Alien Soldier, Yakuza and Wipeout are the games I play usually. Only Control is a new one, someday I'll finish Death Stranding and Fallen Order.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I struggle to get into new games a lot of the time, so usually go back to quick, easy games like Rocket League.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I rarely replay games these days. Just too many games to play and I'd rather play something new. Not necessarily new games, but games I have yet to play. I also rarely commit more than 100 hours into a single game.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Nope. Not worth the time, obviously MMOs or GaaS titles are different but in general I activily dislike replaying games.

Its not like I'm forgetting them and I already experienced them.

OP
OP

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
I struggle to get into new games a lot of the time, so usually go back to quick, easy games like Rocket League.

same here man. I've also caught myself jumping into LoL from time to time and you don't realize how time consuming it is until you finish a few ranked games.
As I get older and older I'm starting to realize 50-80 hour games doesn't necessarily mean good to me

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. My backlog is too large to go back to older games like that. If I'm revisiting it, it's usually because I never finished it, there's some new content out, or it's a multiplayer title or something.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If I'm reading the OP's post correctly is it a case of saying that not playing a game once and shelving it is unusual? I've gone back and replayed games many, many times over the years rather than pick up a new title. To me it's not really different from watching a movie you've already seen over a new release.

Lots of games are designed to be replayable, especially now we're getting much more in terms of emergent gameplay and interesting AI, even in what are thought of as linear titles. Things like the Uncharted series and Skyrim I've played countless times.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I'm replying Dark Souls Remastered now and really enjoying it, it's common for me to replay old games that I really loved and enjoyed, kinda like a "safe haven" of gaming

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
There are some games that I always go back to, usually Ocarina of Time, Dark Souls and some Rogue Likes

I also try to replay more story heavy games before a sequel, The Last of Us before Part 2 for example

Other wise it's really unusual for me to replay games because there's so much to play and so little time in life to play them

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Just like some people have comfort foods, I have comfort games. These past few days I've been thinking about replaying Sonic Adventure 2 again for the who-knows-how-manyth time.

OP
OP

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm reading the OP's post correctly is it a case of saying that not playing a game once and shelving it is unusual? I've gone back and replayed games many, many times over the years rather than pick up a new title. To me it's not really different from watching a movie you've already seen over a new release.

Lots of games are designed to be replayable, especially now we're getting much more in terms of emergent gameplay and interesting AI, even in what are thought of as linear titles. Things like the Uncharted series and Skyrim I've played countless times.

Nah more like do you have a urge to play into new titles or just go back to things you already experienced for whatever sake.
I'm actually looking to replay OoT for the 8th time over any game in my current backlog.
Also humble bundle monthly seems to expand the backlog even more

Absolutely. Just like some people have comfort foods, I have comfort games. These past few days I've been thinking about replaying Sonic Adventure 2 again for the who-knows-how-manyth time.

Just replayed that on the surface pro.Still perfect!

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Replaying FF9 again for the 98248085038567890th time instead of playing whatever new games I have in my backlog.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am really enjoying and getting engrossed in my sessions with Death Stranding when I actually sit down at my couch and boot it up, but I keep opting to replay RE2, Devil May Cry 5, and Dragon Ball FighterZ more often than not.

So absolutely, yes.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the bandwidth or desire to replay single player games.

However, I've been dedicating my limited time to a multiplayer game (PUBG) so I haven't had time to play new games despite having Gamepass Ultimate.

Aug 28, 2019
Not so much anymore. There were a lot of dry spells for me in the 2000s as far as new releases, so I spent a lot of time replaying my older favorites. With the explosion of indie games and digital distribution, though, I never run out of new stuff to play, so I don't revisit older games as often as I used to.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I mostly play on the Saturn & dreamcast.

Most modern games don't hold my interest most of the time so I skip the majority of them

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
All the time. The idea of a starting a new game, even one I've been looking forward to, always tips off the part of my brain that tells me it's work and something new I have to learn, so I always fall back on what's familiar and easy to pick up. Yet I continue to buy games in spite of this thought process so that I have them on hand when that one random day comes where I'm willing to put in the work to play it.

I feel the same way trying to get to grips with a new game world and mechanics. Heck, I even sometimes feel that way about entering a new town in an RPG lol

My brother and I just played through super Mario world 2 player online with switch online service. Something we could just hop into and play for 30-45 minutes. Probably my most played-through single game.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
All the time.
Often i have new games, but i get home from work and just want to relax, so i fire up EU4 or Destiny 2 instead.

I think it is because new games would mean having to learn and concentrate on new mechanics/story, while playing EU4/D2 is basically muscle memory at this point.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
On occasion, sure. I like revisiting older titles that I've enjoyed, and as my games collection grows larger, there are more and more games that I've enjoyed previously.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely getting harder to get into new games, but most of my (older) games are long, tedious JRPGs which are just as difficult to revisit. Nowadays I just stick with WoW, Soulsborne and my biennial FFXII playthrough. Maybe some Zelda too.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Yep I play mostly the same games over and over. Occasionally a new one slips in and I can get into it. This year is been Crackdown 3 which I completed and Civilization 6 which I'm currently obsessed with.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'm always playing at least one of the following - WoW, xcom 2, Civ 5 or 6, stellaris. Dead cells and slay the spire were added in recently too.

So yes I do get to new games just slowly......

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going back to games I already finished all the time. There are very few games these days I actually enjoy. So right now I'm playing Red Dead 2's Story for the third time on PC.

I also started a new Master Quest save for BotW on Switch.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same way trying to get to grips with a new game world and mechanics. Heck, I even sometimes feel that way about entering a new town in an RPG lol

My brother and I just played through super Mario world 2 player online with switch online service. Something we could just hop into and play for 30-45 minutes. Probably my most played-through single game.
This is why I have such a difficult time moving on from Call of Duty as my preferred multiplayer game. Not only that, but it takes more so much of my gaming time that I neglect a lot of new games I have that are single-player experiences. I'm afraid to try a new multiplayer franchise because I am so used to the COD mechanics. Although the jury is still out on whether the franchise is still for me because with the most recent release of Modern Warfare, if all games going forward are as bad as that one, then I don't see myself moving beyond WW2 (and we all know communities can't last forever on older games).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Used to do this a lot, back when I had so much free time I'd get bored, now I don't even dedicate time to fighting games because I'd rather finish all the great SP experiences that keep being released every year.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I actually did this recently. I find myself playing the Golden Sun games again on wii u despite the fact that I bought borderlands 3 on black friday. Only thing that had pulled me away from it is the new pokemon because I can play it on the go.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Pokemon Platinum, Heart Gold and Black 2 have way more replayability value than the 3D pokemon games.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Not worth the time, obviously MMOs or GaaS titles are different but in general I activily dislike replaying games.

Its not like I'm forgetting them and I already experienced them.
I have a hard time understanding this mindset. Do you not rewatch movies? TV shows? Do you reread books?

I have my list of favorite games that I may not replay all the time, but never replaying some of my favorite games sounds like a nightmare.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
All the time, but mostly old-school games from the NES and SNES eras, back when games were lean experiences that weren't stuffed to the brim with repetitive busywork. I can pick up Contra on NES and beat it in less than 30 minutes for a quick fix. Or finish DKC 2 with 102% in just a few hours.

Replaying most AAA games from recent generations would feel like absolute chore.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
All the time. Same with rewatching TV series. It's a comfort thing. Replaying a game you know you love vs trying something new.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I do it all the time.

There's something to be said for comfort-food gaming.

I fired up Fallout 4 just last night (so good).

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
No, I pretty much never replay anything once I've finished it. I'd rather just keep playing new games, it's why I never get into GaaS or multiplayer.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

Same. I want to play games that hook me in and engage me, and not every game does that, so at least with replaying a game, I know what to expect and can expect a certain level of engagement, even if it isn't because of something new and fresh.

The other reason is that I played a lot of good titles on PC and have moved to playing mostly on console. Some of those titles I've been wanting to replay (the Bioshock trilogy, Max Payne 3, etc), so playing them on console would net me the trophies for them, which is also something I'd like to do.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the time yeah. I'm looking forward to the future when I become one of those old fucks who only play like 3 games over and over again.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Quite often, sure. FFT and Tactics Ogre are always on standby, and there isn't usually a time I'm not ready to replay one of my Fire Emblem games.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I have a hard time understanding this mindset. Do you not rewatch movies? TV shows? Do you reread books?

I have my list of favorite games that I may not replay all the time, but never replaying some of my favorite games sounds like a nightmare.

Yes I don't do any of that. I do not see the point for replaying/rewatching stuff. Unless someone invents a machine where you can erase certain memories.

Life is too short to keep doing the same things.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
It's been like this, this entire generation, for me.

The AAA offerings and the games as a service has just been a huge turnoff for me. I did buy new games this generations but a good handful of those are still unopened and, like you, I replay a lot of games from previous generations or just spend time on online games.

Dakb

Apr 20, 2018
I mostly only play new games, but I still play old games when I have only a small amount of time to play a game. I still play Jet Set Radio regularly before going to sleep in a 10 minute session mostly due to the fact that I have memorized everything and can play in a more relaxed state. It's also a good excuse to keep experiencing one of the best video game soundtracks ever and graphics that will never age in my opinion.

Oct 28, 2017
I have been trying to beat Contra III for the last few weeks. I think it has to do with me not wanting to undertake a big, 40 HR adventure right now, even though thats what I like most. Old School and Switch games that like you jump in for a few ticks, play and go back to life is what I need right now.