• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
All the time on this forum, I'm pretty centrist but this site can be so left wing that I'm afraid that just posting how I view a situation will be interpreted in the wrong way.

And I'm usually only posting on the gaming side.
Don't need to be afraid, just don't be a legit idiot. All the bans here on era are well deserved, and the ones that don't on specific occasions have had a lot of backlash.

Don't expect to come in a topic, say some wtv shit and not get called about it, specially if the topic is a sensitive one.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yes, constantly. I don't know how some people here manage to have discussions and dump walls of text on each other at breakneck speed. For me one paragraph (of say, 6 lines) alone would be an hour of work. It's why I don't engage in these type of discussions, or bow out of a conversation when they go in that direction.

I have crippling perfectionism, and every sentence, every word needs to be perfect and grammar needs to be flawless. Since English is not my main language, and Dutch grammar works differently, this means I'm googling a lot when typing a post.

Ironically, I also find it difficult to post nothing but bite-size one-liners, or worse, only something like "lol" or "haha". Like every post needs to be at least two proper sentences long. It doesn't make sense, but that's how it is for me.

In general though, I often don't engage in discussions because I feel out of my depth and don't think it's my place to respond. I'm a privileged white dude from the Netherlands; why the hell would anyone want to hear what I think about, say, LGBTQ+ rights or, currently, police violence in the US and the BLM movement? Just shut up and listen is basically my own motto there.

Profanity is also a good example. I see people respond to each other with "Get the fuck out of here" and I don't really care. But whenever I do it, I find it comes off as super aggressive and I end up not posting it.

Lastly, memes. For example, I never know if you can say something like "feels bad man". The phrase itself is pretty innocuous, but it's associated with pepe and pepe has been co-opted by the alt-right as we all know. So would that make it offensive or not?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I've been very fortunate that whenever I find myself writing out long rants about contentious issues - and then rewriting - and then debating hitting send - rewriting again - by the time I hit send the thread has been shut down. Bullets dodged!

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. And I think having those reservations are a good thing. Not everything you think needs to be said and people need to be more judicious about what they decide to post online. Sometimes it's just better to read what others are saying instead of posting because either your post is redundant or you lack perspective to speak on the issue. At the same time, the effort I put into posting is really low on here because it's not something I put much importance into.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to catch myself if I'm getting too heated or double check my posts if it's in a sensitive topic, but usually I'll post whatever.

I do have a lot of deleted drafts, but that's mostly because I struggle saying exactly what I want, not for fear or anything.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
There are lots of things I believe that I wouldn't be comfortable posting online with my real identity attached out of fear for my job or social repercussions. I have a lot of disdain for American patriotism, the military, and the police and those ideas still aren't very popular in the "real world."

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Constantly, but I've always just viewed it as common courtesy. My take just isn't needed, or wanted, sometimes and I'll just make myself look like an ass if I try and contribute to a discussion that I may not have a place in. Or there are times where I don't think my opinion is productive to a conversation and would just muddy the point.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no because I don't care. I trust that I have enough of a head on my shoulders not to truly offend anyone. When I post it's only to help drive the conversation, help someone, or to give perspective that I may have on certain things. My weekend threads are intentionally ridiculous but not at the expensive of the TOS. It's just to get people to ease up and relax.

Just try to be positive and be a good friend and there's absolutely nothing to worry about. If there is a subject I am not well versed on or feel a particular way about, I just don't post.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
sure, but that's because not all jokes are worth telling and/or i don't have the chops to find the funny way to tell it without looking like an asshole

gotta know your limits

sometimes i just find awful things interesting or funny and i'm cool with keeping it personal

also a lot of the time when i barge into a thread with a shit ass reactionary ignorant opinion i immediately delete my post after thinking for two seconds, so now i only will post that stuff if i actually think i have a point

i guess the only downside is i say very little of substance or value lololol

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019
If your posts in a discussion forum are only concerned with how the other people in the forum are going to view your posts, you're most of the time not ever really discussing anything. You're just blowing air into the bubble.
I think people who are really careful about posts (like myself) are often less concerned about the substance and more concerned about whether or not we're conveying ourselves effectively.
I do agree with your sentiment though.
Sometimes I think I want to react on something sensitive, but then I think, what is my added value? And am I culturally close enough to the topic to react? And then I just drop it.
Yeah, that's often the case for me as well. I've also caught myself while typing coming to the realization, "wait, I think I'm full of shit on this one". I've definitely changed viewpoints on a few things while being forced to see my shaky reasoning laid out in text.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
sometimes, I type up some comments, then don't bother for various reasons, like deciding its maybe has too much personal info to put out, or deciding that maybe I'm not informed on the topic enough to add anything useful.
I do this too. Better to keep your mouth shut and have less of the hassle.

Sometimes we're not that informed on a topic and our hot takes are pretty ignorant without us explicitly realising it. In such a case I try to keep it zipped these days. Think twice before hitting reply.

*hovers over 'post reply'

Oct 27, 2017
You go back to old posts to look at them and revise them? No, I can't be bothered to do that.
If you're talking about "in the moment," yeah I'll type something up and then go "nah" and delete it fairly often.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I doubt those posts and platforms will even exist in 10-15 years, so I do not care. Eg I hardly remember what I typed in the late-90s

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've always been like this. It's why my post count is so low. Was the same on gaf back in the day, it's the same thing on twitter. I'm just not a very confrontational person in general so I usually look at my draft and go "why bother?" before deleting it. I also edit constantly after posting because I hate spelling mistakes or not conveying exactly what I meant, especially since English isn't my first language.
Gah, always make typos and it's no big deal. Shoot from the hip. Just a forum and not a CV you are writing on an employment website.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
All the time, specially here in ERA (Where i "comment" the most, i'm not really active in other internet communities or Twitter or FB).

Even when my political/Social views align with the ones of the forum, i don't feel welcome in this place anymore.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten myself in trouble in the past for posting things that to me are sarcastic or attempts to be funny that others don't interpret that way. I've been banned for periods of time here for that. Because of this I've really made an effort to choose words more carefully or just flat out don't offer an opinion that doesn't advance a conversation in a meaningful way because I would never want to purposely offend anyone. Well unless they are a trash person.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Also almost only here.
A whole lot only here as a matter of fact.

Sometimes elsewhere, but not that much.
It is just here, where everything is one side or the other with no in-between, that I refrain from even bothering.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, in fact, it extends to my daily life too. I'll have things in my head that I want to say but decide not to say them in fear of looking like an idiot or maybe a joke no one will think is funny. I am practically too quiet because of that.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
All the time. There's been so many threads I wanted to reply to. I've often spent half an hour or more some topics, trying to word a response or condense it, only to delete it because of anxiety.

I've learned so much reading from so many progressive people online over the years, but the learning never stops. I fear my ignorance.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
On era, yes. Never got a ban in any other forums, but had one here. I now take my time to write my post.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I usually just post how I feel about Media and Games. Most of the time, I don't really care about other peoples opinions, and I assume other people feel the same way about mine. Turns out I'm wrong, and people REALLY care when you don't like something they do. That's the majority of my posts here.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I've just chosen to ignore people who are clearly only looking for an argument. Ain't got time for that.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say 70% of the time I end up just deleting my fully typed posts and just leave the thread instead. Even the smallest error or not thinking something through from twenty different angles can kickstart a drama and I just simply don't care enough to argue back and forth with people. Basically if I have a 'controversial' opinion on a game or anything, most of the time I just don't post. The vitriol isn't worth it and I want to read about one of my favorite hobbies, not argue about semantics for twenty posts.
This is me too, basically, haha

Oct 29, 2017
I have an tough time posting on Reset era. It can become an hive mind culture here at times. I'm An black man who's very progressive. I feel I have to defend my blackness here by posters who probably aren't black.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm afraid of a lot of things, because I'm a writer. I'm not necessarily worried about things that I post online, but stuff that write my story. How old is he taking? Am I coming from a place of truth? Will people look at me down the road at some kind of asshole because of something I overlooked? Some kind of ignorance of mine?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
All the time. People are so often tarred and feathered for the least charitable interpretation of their comments. If you want to grow by exchanging ideas or getting measured and thought provoking responses when you say the wrong thing, look elsewhere. It's best to simply shut up and stay out of sensitive discussions, because they're patrolled by ban baiters.

Ahuitzotl

Jun 11, 2020
Other than having difficulty putting thoughts into coherent writing especially when arguing with someone, no.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. A lot of people like to hate on other people that have a different view.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but it's not something particularly to this site, I do it across most social media and in general just don't post much anymore.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I've decided that as long as the post isn't offensive, I don't care what anyone thinks. There's always someone who will over-react or criticize you for even the most benign comment or opinion so it's not worthy worrying about.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Yeah, all the time, especially when it comes to things like relationships and sexuality.
I found out that places (here included) with a big community of north americans end up being really, really prudish in that aspect when compared with people from other countries, no matter how open headed these communities tout themselves.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Eh.

There have been times where I type up a response and then read it and go "Tat's not worth posting" and delete it or let it rot in the save buffer.

But it's very rarely because of my tone or what I'm worried other people will think.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Due to schizophrenia tendencies. I have a thing where I am identified as a pariah of sorts and I am on everyone's ignore list; Paranoia is a bitch. I attempted to post more at one point after ERA was founded but I eventually tapered off and make maybe 2-4 post a month.

This is social media in general.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I don't post anything that reveals my face or my family. Everything else is fine with me.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I tend to immediately ignore any hot button threads or ones with *see thread marks* entirely. Anything that needs that level of moderation isn't a discussion I want anything to do with.

At least we have been given a very powerful set of tools that allow us to self curate the board to our liking. Ignoring troublesome posters or topics is as easy as pressing a button. If they would only allow us to ignore moderators, gave us like buttons, and separated politics into its own category, this forum would be my favorite.

Plaguefox

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Something about the environment over the last few years has made me completely retract from social media and I almost never post anything anymore. I was never very prolific to begin with, but 2015 was the last year I felt anything positive about social media or communication in general.