• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well, do you?

• Nah, nothing of value is lost.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • Yeah, that could have been me.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Are you seriously asking that?

Votes: 43 21.4%

• Total voters

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Literally all the time.

I just watched Captain America: Civil War last night, and I feel like it addressed this very well. Lots of innocents are taken in some movies that just got really unlucky.

I was gonna use Winter Soldier as an example; the housekeeper who's cleaned Pierce's crib, probably for years, tells him good night and dips. But wait! She left her phone on the table. That's ok. She's still in the driveway, she'll just let herself in, like she does all the time, and grab it. Oh hey, there's Mr. Pierce at the table. I'll just let him know I-...wait, who is that with him? Why's Pierce looking at me like that? Why's he grabbing a gun? Wh-*dead*

Shit like that haunts me, for reasons I don't entirely understand.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Eddie's death in JPLW was worse in my opinion than the secretary in JW.. atleast he was trying to do something and was helping his friends and what did he get for that? Gruesome death by being ripped apart by two T-rexes.. the scene in JW didn't even had any blood in it and her scene was just too over the top to take it in any way seriously

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came in to mention Zara in Jurassic World, what a stupid-ass scene in a stupid-ass movie.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, this thread is Pulp Fiction for me. I always laugh when this innocent bystander gets shot trying to help Marcellus Wallace.

Day087.jpg

This is the first thing that comes to mind. And how every one else helping out too immediately beat feet right after that. 😂

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did OP read the Bokurano manga?

(There's a scene in the manga where this particular topic comes up.)

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never got the complaints about the secretary's death in JW. What makes it all different from Eddie's death in Lost World?

She's definitely not dead at the end of that scene. She's packed in the dino's stomach with the crushed remains of the pteranodon, screaming and suffocating as she's burned and crushed to a slow and horrifying end.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I can't find a gif or video of it, but the truck driver in T2 getting stabbed to death for checking on the survivor of a crash was a bad case of wrong place wrong time. Poor bugger.

As for the lady in Jurassic World, yes it's a nasty death, but that's kind of the point. It's not a commentary on her, or punishing her for not liking kids, it's that these creatures will fuck humans up if they get the chance. Gennaro was a bit greedy, and left the kids alone in the car, that didn't mean he deserved to get torn up by a T-Rex. Eddie in The Lost World was heroically trying to save his friends and still got torn in half. The dog didn't deserve to die either. Or the palaeontologist the mercs had with them that got eaten because a snake crawled in his vest. Or the people eaten on the street at the end. Those last few aren't as extended as the attack on the JW lady, but you get the point. I think that some people read WAY too much into it. They wanted a big, memorable moment of a death that'd make you wince.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point is that reducing everything to being "fake" is reductive. It's fiction, of course it's fake.

Unless you're the kind of person who solely watches documentaries and such, it seems like a weird complaint to me.
I'm not complaining really. I just don't feel bad when a character dies or is harmed in a movie, since there's no suspension of disbelief for me that'd make me interpret it emotionally as a real person dying.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I was prepared to enter the thread saying "Nah..."

But... OP, I have thought about that guy in your example many times. Poor fuck.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing my annual rewatch of Terminator 2, and I always feel for the poor bastard in the hallway with the can of Pepsi.

Poor guy. He never knew it was going to be his last day on this Earth... He probably rolled out of bed, putting on his new pair of Bugle Boy jeans, his suspenders, and driving to work in a car that he was still paying. He was just doing this job... repairing a light fixture here, lose a few cents in a vending machine there. Never did he think that he would be put smack dab in the middle of a gunfight between two robots.

I'm gonna drink a Pepsi in your honor today, Mr. Handyman.

eKoeWH5.jpg
I would like to believe that guy just had a bunch of flesh wounds but survived

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Can't find an image, but when the bombs go off in Inglourious Basterds, a cyclist gets blown the fuck away as they're passing by the theater. Dunno if they died, but it's highly probable.

To be fair, I think she could be said to be on the level of random bastard for the fact that she died because of things entirely out of her control and her death was particularly cruel and unusual
The waitress in the basement in Inglorious Basterds too

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i voted middle, but I don't really think the "could have been me" part. i feel sorry for the innocent person, though if they died in a cool way i still enjoy the coolness of that. its when collateral damage is boring and thoughtless that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. i need some feeling of assurance that the director understands the impact of innocent death and is building it into the tone of the movie/show.

it also depends on the scale: an entire city being wiped out obviously requires different considerations vs one person.

so I don't really object to horrible things happening as long as its designed to feel like the horror of that thing is respected, or conversely in a dark comedy is ludicrously un-respected. (though that can go too far as well, imo.)

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, because as capable as I would be in an emergency situation, I know my luck would fail to cooperate.

I would be the guy in the car behind the hero trying to outrun an explosion.

I would be the guy to get popped by a sniper alerting the hero to find cover.

I would be the the guy thriving in a post apocalyptic world until the hero crosses my path.

I was gonna use Winter Soldier as an example; the housekeeper who's cleaned Pierce's crib, probably for years, tells him good night and dips. But wait! She left her phone on the table. That's ok. She's still in the driveway, she'll just let herself in, like she does all the time, and grab it. Oh hey, there's Mr. Pierce at the table. I'll just let him know I-...wait, who is that with him? Why's Pierce looking at me like that? Why's he grabbing a gun? Wh-*dead*
The housekeeper is unfortunate but it's all the people on the street when Hydra decides wage all out war against Fury or Cap and company that sucks. I'm driving around, minding my own business, my son is strapped into his carseat in the back and then BOOM all hell breaks loose. I'm not going to bail and leave my son but by the time I get him out Hydra goon with a minigun has turned my car into swiss.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this always makes me feel bad.

Hard-Boiled and Only God Forgives come to mind. Lots of randoms getting gunned down for being in the wrong restaurant at the wrong time.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this always makes me feel bad.

Hard-Boiled and Only God Forgives come to mind. Lots of randoms getting gunned down for being in the wrong restaurant at the wrong time.
Oh god, that hospital shootout in Hard Boiled. It was a great setting that made a point to show how even the mob boss' henchman had a line he didn't want to cross.

Then his boss shows why he's a piece of shit.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
We feel bad because in these movies, it's the tragedy most relatable to the real world. Car/truck/bus runs off the road, hits a bunch of bystanders, they're dead. What did they do wrong? Nothing, just the wrong place at the wrong time. Still it happens every day.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I genuinely don't understand how you can enjoy watching movies and feel this way.
I enjoy being entertained. Sure, kill off my favorite main and I'll be pissed. That doesn't mean I'm gonna genuinely care about a side nobody character dying. I don't go see movies then wonder about bus passenger #27 and how much it sucks he was on screen for 4 seconds then died.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Way worse than this is the dude that Arnold uses as a human shield on the escalator in Total Recall.

The guy could not be more oblivious as he heads to Mervyn's or whatever, when a gunfight breaks out. After he takes a bullet in the crossfire, Arnold holds the man up in front of himself to adsorb more enemy fire.

Then when more gunmen come from the opposite direction, Arnold pivots the body to take more rounds, before throwing it at the gunmen!!

Truly a bad day to be a mall shopper.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I had to laugh so hard when I rewatched the movie. There's no way a modern action hero would get away with that

Oct 25, 2017
She's definitely not dead at the end of that scene. She's packed in the dino's stomach with the crushed remains of the pteranodon, screaming and suffocating as she's burned and crushed to a slow and horrifying end.
Realistically she'd probably drown first. But yeah it's not a great way to go either way.
Yeah, because as capable as I would be in an emergency situation, I know my luck would fail to cooperate.

I would be the guy in the car behind the hero trying to outrun an explosion.

I would be the guy to get popped by a sniper alerting the hero to find cover.

I would be the the guy thriving in a post apocalyptic world until the hero crosses my path.

The housekeeper is unfortunate but it's all the people on the street when Hydra decides wage all out war against Fury or Cap and company that sucks. I'm driving around, minding my own business, my son is strapped into his carseat in the back and then BOOM all hell breaks loose. I'm not going to bail and leave my son but by the time I get him out Hydra goon with a minigun has turned my car into swiss.

I think about the finale, personally. Even if the bulk of the helicarriers end up in the Potomac River, Southwest DC and Rosslyn VA are going to be carpeted with shrapnel.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Final Destination: The Thread

Some rando prevented your immediate death by causing a scene and now you're destined to die EVEN HARDER

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Just watched the famous Jurassic World scene. Seems really tame to me, she didnt bleed or lose any limbs or anything really.

There have been much bloodier deaths in that series, like the Lost World guy.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think about the finale, personally. Even if the bulk of the helicarriers end up in the Potomac River, Southwest DC and Rosslyn VA are going to be carpeted with shrapnel.
Haha, I meant to mention the helicarriers. Yeah, Cap and co. saved millions around the world but it sucks for the couple thousand who were under the falling wreckage.

Oct 28, 2017
I liked how the T1000 gave the helicopter pilot time to eject by telling him to get out. He probably suffered two broken legs but he was alive.