• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Only been off school three times in the last eight or nine years, because I had:

1. Glandular fever.
  2. An uncommon second bout of chicken pox (a big no, no at school).
  3. Testicle reconstruction surgery.

I totally understand that some folks have their anxious/mental health/stressed days sometimes however, for those who have a 'sick day' just because they feel like it, and are a clean bill of health, they're lazy arseholes in my opinion.

p.s. We caught a teacher going to not one, not two but three fashion shows when she was 'sick'.

She was suspended without hesitation. There's no grounds for this kind of shit, especially at school.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only been off school three times in the last eight or nine years, because I had:

1. Glandular fever.
  2. An uncommon second bout of chicken pox (a big no, no at school).
  3. Testicle reconstruction surgery.

I totally understand that some folks have their anxious/mental health/stressed days sometimes however, for those who have a 'sick day' just because they feel like it, and are a clean bill of health, they're lazy arseholes in my opinion.

p.s. We caught a teacher going to not one, not two but three fashion shows when she was 'sick'.

She was suspended without hesitation. There's no grounds for this kind of shit, especially at school.

Three whole sick days, wow. She should have been jailed.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Only once and it was for personal/family matters that did not fall within the guidelines of FMLA.

I don't like calling off unless I have a good reason to.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, I guess we have a fashion show fan here!

Don't be a wanker mate.

In all seriousness, I believe that sometimes, people need a break. One that isn't booked a minimum of two weeks in advance; pending your manager's approval.

For most working adults, we are giving the majority of our daylight hours to our employers for 40-ish years. Like.. that is an enormous amount of our lives devoted to work. I totally get the occasional not-so-sick day off.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't fully done this, but I've been borderline sick/had a light cold and not gone into work when I probably could have without getting everyone else infected.

Edit: I had a bit of diarrhea one morning and I decided to call in also.

Oct 26, 2017
We have two kids so there has been plenty of times where either of us have had to take a day off from work to look after them when they are sick or school is cancelled because of weather.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'll call in if I don't feel good, doesn't mean I'm "sick". Luckily I work at a job that I have a metric ton of sick/vacation days, and I can always work from home if need be.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once. I had already given my two weeks notice and was NOTin the mood for working on Saturday. What were they gonna do, fire me?

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I used to when I hated my job. I do enjoy my job now and only use my sick days for actual sick days.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I tend to only use my sick leave if I can't roll out of bed. I've gone in while feeling off on many occasions (headaches, stomach feeling like a washing machine etc).

I have a few months worth up my sleeve, handy in case I ever break an arm or a leg.... yet if I ever leave the company I won't get the sick leave paid out.
I get told I should use it more even for a stress free day.... but I'd feel too guilty in doing so.

There are others here that have 0 free days.... so if they do get sick they won't get paid if they remain at home.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Not really because I actually like some of the people I work with and it's nice to see them. If I'm ever so slightly not feeling well and something happened the night before (went out, couldn't sleep) then yah I'll take a personal day if I feel like it'll effect my work negatively

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
When I was a kid living in Minnesota, I would call in sick to go out and party with my friends.

Now I'm 40, living in Florida, and I call out because it's too cold outside and I want to play RDR2.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
They're called personal days. Your reasons for taking them are, as implied, personal. Errands only doable during work hours, obligations and your own mental health fall under that. Anyone judging someone for taking a day off when not sick is a tool who's been brainwashed by work culture.

You work a job with no real personal days? You're still a human with needs. Use sick days as you need.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
I never call in sick when I'm not sick. It feels like stealing.
I'm in the Netherlands and have 25 free days + national holidays. This week I'm feeling a bit tired, so I'm taking Friday off, no problem.
Other times I have left work early, but I usually make up for that by doing some work in the evening.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Rarely - we have unlimited PTO so I scheduled a lot of days off in advance. I've woken up not sick and really felt like not going to work a handful of times so I just posted "not feeling well, taking the day off" in Slack and relaxed all day.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Not often. Once or twice a year I guess. There's just those days were I really want to stay home with my family. Also If it's a nice day to hang out by the pool, crack open a brew and just chill. There's a special relief about thinking you have to go to work then just not going.

With that said I always cover my butt and find a replacement so they're not a person short. If I can't do that then I go in.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I never call in sick when I'm not sick. It feels like stealing.
I'm in the Netherlands and have 25 free days + national holidays. This week I'm feeling a bit tired, so I'm taking Friday off, no problem.
Other times I have left work early, but I usually make up for that by doing some work in the evening.
Fully support you but

raw

Bengraven