• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a little awkward for me to work from home. It's allowed but not really encouraged (start up environment). So I tend to do it on Wednesdays and it is amazing.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. More relaxed so I can concentrate better and easier. I get distracted by others so much at work it's ridiculous. Obviously there are some downsides but overall I like it.
Surprised the OP thinks 21 miles is a long commute, that's nothing lol!
It can be depending on where and when you're commuting. City driving can turn 21 miles into an hour or more.

That's one thing I learned between growing up rural and then living in the city. What is absolutely a nothing drive for rural people is insurmountable for city people.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I could still use a better job, but for now I make 18 bucks an hour working at home and the working at home part is worth a lot.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Yes.

Best thing ever when I need to write research proposals. However, there's a strange feeling that you're not really working despite the contrary.

Wren Wolfe

Nov 10, 2017
I love working from home. I've been working from home for over a year now, and I go into the office once a month. Honestly, when I do go into the office, it's a little jarring, since I've gotten so used to the peace and quiet at home. I feel like I get the same amount of (if not more) work done at home, since I'm in a comfortable setting.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I get to spend time with my pets and hit the gym during my lunch break. But it makes it even harder to disconnect from work.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I love it.

I work fully remote and my quality of life improves massively compared to commuting. No more 30-60min commutes, no more gassing my car up once a week or more, no more co-workers chatting my ear off forever.

Only thing I miss is my desk with laptop dock and dual monitors. Two screens is typically all I use, but having 3 screens was still pretty great.

I also get paid like 15% more than my last job so that helps.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I've always been the type of person that likes to keep home and work/school separate. I despised homework throughout my schooling because I always felt that once I got home, that was my time and didn't appreciate any intrusions on it.

Yep, I feel exactly the same way. When I was in school, I always felt like I should be doing homework/studying. Now, when I knock off for the day, I'm done. Maybe working from home would work if I could devote a whole room to an office, but I don't have that kind of space.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best. i can do twice the amount of work and not be pestered all day long.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm full time from home and love it and would hate to have to work in an office again. I feel just as productive and if I ever get down time I can actually do something I want to instead of looking at the internet and pretending to be busy like when I was in the office.

That being said I originally thought I'd save money eating at home everyday, but I've found I actually go out to lunch almost everyday just to get a change of scenery. It seems obvious, but you are at home A LOT.

Still, just not having a commute massively trumps any small negative with working from home. I feel grateful.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I don't work from home, but I wouldn't enjoy it. Any day I wouldn't leave the house after work would make me go crazy. The best for me would be to give me one day out of the week that I can choose to work at home. Just one.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't work from home. I don't get as much done compared to being in the office. Not to mention it's easier to communicate with colleagues and have quick little meetings when necessary

PizzaKing

May 24, 2019
Whenever I feel like bitching about it I realize that 99% of people have it worse and think of the alternative.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Just took a 100% remote job and been at it for a month. I absolutely love it so far. I have had a 45min commute for the past 6 yeas and it started to absolutely kill me. I now get more sleep and my workouts in versus sitting in a car for 1.5-2 hours a day.

I have always been able to work from home for 1-2 days a week but it was not the same. I was never super productive since it was not my normal routine.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yes, it's great. I would take a $10k+ salary increase at minimum to get me into a regular office again. My job does involve some overnight travel a few weeks out of the year and some more day travel here and there throughout the year, so I do interact with other people on occasion and get out every now and again.

Also have a dedicated office space so I can just walk away at the end of the day and not be tempted to keep working.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I work from home 4 days a week, so yes. I have an actual office set up, so I'm at least as productive from home as I am from the office.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yup, I work from home Monday, Thursday and Friday. I spend 2 days in the office in which I'm usually bouncing from meeting to meeting and then 3 days doing actual work.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I like it for a day but prefer to be around the people I work with. I especially hate dialing into meetings when everyone else is in the conference room. I'm constantly being talked over and people rarely pay attention to the people that dial in. Just doesn't work for me or the office that I'm currently working at.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Not if I actually have real work to get done. Otherwise, I can screw around in my underwear for 8 hours and it's great.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, more time for sleep. And my car insurance went down 17% since I've been driving less.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Sometimes I love it, sometimes when my email sound or text sound goes off at weird hours or on sat / sunday mornings get super stressed out. I found working from home has led to everyone believing I am on call 24/7.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can't work at home, too many things to distract me and I don't have space to set up a dedicated office or work space. It takes me 15 min to walk to work so I don't have to deal with the pain of commuting anymore.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Work from home two days a week and absolutely love it. Normal commute would be about 25 mins otherwise. That and it allows me to start earlier and end earlier, which is perfect to go to some yoga classes I normally wouldn't be able to since they start shortly after work.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's distracting, but I'm really thankful to have the option to work from home during personal emergencies.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I have the option to but don't have a dedicated office so I don't really prefer it. But it is nice to be able to in emergencies.

If I'm working on proposal drafts, etc, outside of normal office hours I'll bring work home, remote in, throw on some sports and have a beer while knocking out some outlines, etc. That's nice.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah it's nice saving 1-2 hours a day not commuting. Also I can just work through most of my lunch and save an additional 30-45 minutes. And shift my work tasks around my day as need be; if I want to stay up late to watch something or just play a new video game in the morning, I can move my work around it.

If I ever have to work a "normal" job again where I spend 5-10 hours a week travelling unpaid, I'm gonna be depressed as fuck.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God I hate getting to work and sometimes also hate being there. Some people are just annoying and at home I can get so much more done like..more than two or three days of work and I can even do stuff at home in the mean time. Always surprises me how much more work I get done.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
I worked from home for 3.5 years and I loved every second of it. Now back in an office type job with a 7am alarm and a 30 minute commute depending on traffic. I really want to go back to the way it was.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
After years of looking, I finally landed a job that not only paid well, but was in an office environment with a friendly atmosphere, and one which I didnt completely loathe. I quickly worked my way up the ladder and am now in a position with the ability to work from home for 3 out of 5 days a week.

With my office being 21 miles from where I live - this is an absolute blessing. Not only am I saving on gas, and avoiding my long commute for the majority of the week, I also get to spend the day with my dog. She loves this part even more than I do.

I've even got my dual 27" monitors hooked up to the company laptop for maximum efficiency.

I wish I could just do this every day.

Anyone else blessed enough to work from home?

I have a similar set up -- although my office is just at the other side of NYC. Working from home still feels like a blessing. I hope more people and fields allow for this luxury.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but the freedom that comes with that rather than actually working from home - in being able to choose where I go to work for the day.
Pretty much this. I run my solo law practice virtually, so I can work from home or anywhere else. Too many distractions at home - most of my work is done at a cafe or a co-working space/Regus office.