• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you enjoy using the Joycon Grip?

• I like it

Votes: 101 21.5%
  • I'd rather use a regular controller

Votes: 369 78.5%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a charging one solely to use as a charger for my extra set of joy cons.

I played through most of BotW with it back at launch and didn't mind it really. Pro controller is way better though.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
As usual I let my friends play with it and use a Pro controller myself in multiplayer games.

I haven't really used the joycons at all because my switch hardly ever leaves the dock.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
It gets the job done. Obviously doesn't even hold a candle to the pro controller, but I used the grip like this for a couple weeks before I ordered an actual gamepad and I have no complaints for what it is. Much more comfortable than holding the joycons all loose.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I have small hands, so I like it.

Then again, I picked up two pro controllers for half price each when Toys R Us had a price error back in the day, so plenty of options at the house.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's terrible. Had to use it for several months until I got a Pro controller and it actually made me not want to play any games docked at all because of how uncomfortable it is with the grip. Also don't like using the separated joy cons either, it just feels awkward to me.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I've used it a couple of times with Super Smash when we don't have enough GameCube controllers or Pro Controllers to go around, and I hate it. I prefer playing with a single joystiq side-ways to be honest

My main complaint is that the two joysticks simply do not stay in their socket and it's way too easy for them to slip out during use and have to be clicked back in

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I have to. The antenna on the red joy-con (the right one) is very weak and loses its signal frequently. The grip is a must as it comes with its own antennae. I've gotten really used to it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They're terrible, how they manage to charge people the ridiculous price for them is wild tbh.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
It's horrible.

I use my Xbox One controller with an adapter and life is great.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I like it. I'm not a fan of bulbous modern controllers, so I think it's refreshing. That said, it's very small. Closer to handheld size.

And for some games, it's pretty much a non-starter. Like I'm not going to play bayo 2 on that.

And no dpad? And if it did, it would be in the wrong place anyhow.

I still really like it and the versatility of clipping on for handheld mode.

I did recently find myself wanting a more normal controller. I picked one up online with a ps layout. It has a classic 3rd party jank feal, which I don't hate.

It's too bad the joy cons can't do everything very well. I really do like thek on that grip.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd rather use a regular controller but I still think it's a neat thing. Like, if I had to, I could use it. And I have willingly used it a few times, just to see what it's like. I didn't find it terrible, other than the dpad being a bad dpad.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It works great, though I prefer the Pro Controller most of the time.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Yeah, its great

*reads thread*

Wait, most people around here don't like it? Huh

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
For a majority of people, I don't think it'll ever be anyone's main set of controls, but it works perfectly fine. Obviously I like my pro controller better but it's super convenient to split and play with say a significant other when just hanging on the couch.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
Yeah, its great

*reads thread*

Wait, most people around here don't like it? Huh
I was thinking the same thing. It's literally what I use... like... 95% of the time and I think it works perfectly. Granted, I don't own a pro controller, but for the price of the pro I will almost assuredly never own one. Especially when the one that came free with the console works just fine.

I had no idea people didn't like it

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to like it, but it makes my hands cramp after a very short period of time.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Don't use it much but it's better than using the joycons by themselves. The pro controller is the absolute best way to use the switch but it's not portable so I usually bring a grip with me.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's not exactly my favorite, so it's relegated to the P2 controller that I use in local multiplayer. But it's also not bad enough to get a second pro controller for.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I have small hands so it works fine for me. Though I have noticed that one of extra grips I bought for the second set of Joy-Cons has slightly different dimensions so I do not use it unless playing with others locally.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Having small hands it actually feels not bad at all. It's a more comfortable 3DS basically. No reason to use it other than second player tho after I got the Pro one (which I got at a bargain price, so it's not like I dislike the grip. It just made it obsolete)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Been a Switch owner since launch and I don't own a Pro Controller because the Joy-Cons are so comfortable in split mode, though I do occasionally snap them into the grip.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I basically used it for a few weeks until I got the Pro controller. The damn thing is tiny and uncomfortable and my joy-cons almost never leave the Switch itself. There's so many varied controller options on the Switch that the Joy-Cons become useless outside of portable play.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the unattached joy cons are the most relaxed i've ever been with a controller, so the grip always seems like a big downgrade to use.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Nope, never liked Switch's joy-con joysticks, they are too small. The controller itself also cramps my hands in handheld or on the grip. I only use my Switch docked with a Pro controller.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
It's a smart addition. A cheap thing to throw in there for people who aren't ready to buy a Pro Controller, while also signalling to consumers that the Switch supports a traditional play (vs. the Wiimote image the split Joycons invoke).

I bought a Pro Controller sometime after Splatoon 2 came out, which means I played through all of BotW either with the grip or in handheld mode. It worked just fine. Owning the Pro Controller now, I only play split (pretty much just for Mario), handheld, or with the pro.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I'm fine with the joycons so if I play on the TV I always use it. I really miss having a dpad in certain games, though.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The joycons in general are bad, and the grip is too. I basically only use it when I'm out of Pro Controllers in a multiplayer game

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly before I got my Switch Pro controller, I was totally fine with the joy-con + grip. Was my experience with Zelda better with the Switch Pro controller vs the joy-con + grip? For sure. But in a game like Smash, I actually prefer the joy-con + grip due to the shorter stick travel.

I see myself switching between the 2, and before I got my Switch I read a lot of hate for the grip and its comfortability, but I find it oddly comfortable depending on the game.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The only thing I enjoy about the joycon is putting it in a drawer and using a pro controller. Overpriced garbage.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
I don't think I've ever used it.

Most of the time I use the Pro Controller. If I'm playing a platformer, I'll use the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ (for the d-pad). If I'm on the treadmill, I use detached JoyCons with the individual grips. If I'm playing Smash or Mario Kart or anything multiplayer, I just use Gamecube controllers with the adapter.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Some games I'll use the joy cons separate for Mario All Stars, but for 2D platformers the 8bitdo SN30 Pro has been my best friend
737454-main.jpg

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't enjoy using the joy-cons, so I'm obviously not using the grip.

I love the Switch Pup fad, though.

nintendo-switch-plushie-1.jpg
28cb47d133f9086f079b8ae437d73787.jpg
aca32707224233f6fcad5283388487cb.png

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I either use the Pro Controller or the Joy Con split with the Joy Con battery pack things attached (for comfort, I don't even have batteries in them). It's nice being able to play with your hands by your sides sometimes.

nintendo-joy-con-aa-battery-pack-1-1440x960.jpg

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
When docked, of course. Love the joycons, couldn't be bothered to buy a pro controller just for docked mode which is 25% of my Switch game time