• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
By that list, that definition, yes, massively

Zelda 2 is a great game that gives a dogshit first impression lmao

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
According to some people here, Sonic was never good.

So I guess a lot of people love bad games. Myself included, I'm due for another Sonic 2 playthrough.

Also I actually really liked No Man's Sky on release, I know why it was hated but I found it exceptionally enjoyable and absolutely engrossing, it would steal hours of my days away. It obviously went on to become much better with huge content updates, but the gameplay is largely the same, so I guess it was always good (right?)

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland
Listening to the Axe of the Blood God final fantasy ranking where they put XV very low on the list. I'm not saying they're right or wrong because it's all subjective, but it got me thinking about how many "bad" games I really like.

Suikoden IV
FFXV
Secret of Evermore
Skyward Sword
Metroid Other M
Zelda II

These are some of my favorite games and they are very often dismissed as bad. Mostly because they do things differently than the established franchise.

I was wondering what "bad" games you like, and why? What games do you think get an unfair rap?
Well, if according to some RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 is "unplayable garbage, to me it is in the top 5 (or 10) of all time (even though I haven't even played it yet (my backlog is enormous + I know my taste).

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Thief even though the Internet had told me it was a bad game. I also quite liked Dragon Age II.

I didn't finish it but Dragon Age 2 was pretty cool. I wish they could have taken way more time to develop it. Having the story span multiple years (I think? Or months idk) of a city's history was really cool and I wish more games did that kind of stuff.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
How low does the score need to be? Because Riptide GP2 has an OpenCritic score of 67 and it's too damn fun for that.

I tend to have the opposite problem. I've attempted to start Dragon Age: Inquisition like 4 times because I'm convinced there's just something I'm not getting, and I quit it early into the game every time.

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland
I regularly come away from Reset Era feeling like most of the games I like are the worst shit ever.

Red Dead Redemption 2? Worst controlling game of all time!

The Last of Us Part 2? Derivative Oscar bait crap same as all other Sony games!

Demon's Souls? Stupid shitty gimmicky bosses! Game plays like outdated piss!

Devil May Cry 5? Trash! Don't even bother if you're only going to do one playthrough, you'll get nothing out of it! DmC was better than this tripe!

DmC? This game is as terrible as Vergil's fedora!!

Control? How does anyone like this game?? The action sucks and the ashtray maze is just some lame BUTTROCK!!

Doom Eternal? Fuck the marauder! Why am I playing Simon says! Why don't I have more ammo? Why do I have to use every gun? I can't be creative if I'm not allowed to just use my one favourite weapon! This story sucks! Doom 16 didn't even have a story! It said fuck you to story!!

Persona 5? The worst Persona of all time! The story sucks after the first act! The music isn't even anywhere near as good as Persona 4!

Persona 4? What is this Scooby doo meaningless crap with no stakes? The music isn't even anywhere near as good as Persona 3!!

Persona 3? This game is garbage and murdered Shin Megami Tensei! Nocturne shits all over this crap!

Nier Automata? How do people even like this game?? Boring bland ugly ass environments with shit combat and a dumb anime story!!

Ahem, sorry, I'm misrepresenting a handful of views as a collective and having too much fun doing so. I'm not particularly serious, it can just be a bit frustrating constantly seeing every game you enjoy crapped on. I think the thing that makes it worse is that often completely valid criticisms are buried under extreme language. It feels like everything is either the best X ever or the worst X ever.
You have a really good taste, even though I havent' even played any of the Persona's (or any of the games you mentioned, but I know that I like those games (not sure about Persona, have to try on day (there's not enough hours in life)) .

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland
How low does the score need to be? Because Riptide GP2 has an OpenCritic score of 67 and it's too damn fun for that.

I tend to have the opposite problem. I've attempted to start Dragon Age: Inquisition like 4 times because I'm convinced there's just something I'm not getting, and I quit it early into the game every time.
I'am tempted to to start Inguisition (I love fantasy), but I know that it will take at least 100 hours to for me to complete it.Maybe it just takes time to get into it for you due to the lenght.
You look dope! Smash those monsters!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think Dragon Age has a slow start, it took a while to click for me.
But it has an even slower middle, the Deep Roads and The Fade both kill any desire for multiple playthroughs.

Edit: dammit, I just saw you said Inquisition lol, never mind then

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved plenty of "bad" games.

Risen 3: Titan Lords.
Thief (4)
Infinite Undiscovery.
Neptunia Victory
..and plenty more I can't think of right now. These games get bashed a lot, but I don't think they bad at all. I really enjoyed my time with them.

At the same time, there are plenty of games that are massive hits and score tons of 10/10 that I don't like. (RDR2, Hollow Knight, etc.)

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Imo the worst Zelda game is Zelda 1. Idk how Zelda 2 even got the reputation it did when imo it's better than the first in almost every way.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Can we not normalize calling decent/good/great games bad bc a portion of the gaming community can't make a point without relying on hyperbole (see trash, bad, garbage, shit etc.) to say they just don't like something?

I didn't see a single bad game in this thread (despite not liking some of them myself).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only bad game I enjoyed was Rave Master for the GameCube before I learned it was ripping off of an exponentially better game (Power Stone 2).

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I go to bat for Mega Man X6 which by all means is a huge trainwreck but there's some magic there that other entries just don't have

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
I don't know if it's bad, but being a licenced game I'm guessing the Gamecube's Incredibes game is at most middling when it comes to scores. My brother and I finished the game in a singe christmas afternoon and we had fun with it, messing with each other, and it wasn't a terrible experience.

Also, I think Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly is not well liked among the Spyro fans, but is the only one I've played and I liked it, except for the final boss that I didn't understood how to beat before my save got corrupted :/. The game's hard though, so I didn't restarted it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

My version of "bad" games are typically indies with threadbare budgets that punch above their weight with ideas that are more creative & adventurous than mainstream budgets can support from a ROI perspective.

Current faves include Neofeud & Off-Peak City.

The former described by the runaway best curator on Steam as;

"an exquisite example of raw, broken-good, Outsider Art, 90s-style point-and-click adventure, and a meaningful story and characters, deeper than most, all by a dedicated solo dev. Superb."

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I guess the only one I can think of that I might consider "bad" but also enjoy is Pac Man World 3. It's largely because of nostalgia

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I really enjoyed Skyward Sword a lot, even the motion controls. I also enjoy playing "bad" games when they release because when they come out it's almost like a case study

Sonic Unleashed. I love the werehog levels unironically. They are chill and I zone out during them.
This is a good one, but for me I love the Wii werehog levels. I would say the sonic levels in the HD versions are better but I really love the level progression in the werehog levels.

Nov 17, 2017
There are bad games then there are games that people on forums and fanbases complain about a lot. They don't necessarily overlap. Skyward Sword is so far from a bad game. It's just something Zelda fans criticize a lot for one reason or another.

Mar 30, 2019
If anything, if a game makes the "bad" list nowadays, I'm more likely to try it to see what the fuss is about. The worst a game can be is boring, but I'll give 'em at least a shot.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
free yourself from thinking there's an objective good game design, games are a lot more fun after that

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I love playing bad games. They help keep a good middle ground so I can recognize when something is truly great. It's also a fun challenge, I don't know. Metascores speak for themselves for these entries:

Rogue Warrior - Hilarious. Can be completed in 1.5 hours and I unironically like this game.
Hour of Victory - Supposed CoD killer. Nope.
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Every trope of the time, poorly executed.
Classified: The Sentinel Crisis - Just... bland. Also, no one's ever heard of this.
Soldier of Fortune: Payback - Modern military shooter published by Activision in Nov 2007. Wait...
Sonic Free Riders - Unplayable (Kinect game).
Resident Evil Survivor - "It's your mother!"
Fast & Furious: Showdown - Cheese with bad controls.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 - Bad controls with bad cheese.
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - Could have been good.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified - Ctrl C + Ctrl V, but cut along the way.

For every critical flaw in the games above, I recognize when a game gets it right. A proper console CoD game's controls are the standard for a game where you can aim down sights, Tony Hawk's recent remake nailed the arcade feel, Forza Horizon gets driving physics just right...

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I adore the commonly hated stuff around here like FFXV, FFXIII trilogy, MGS4, MGSV etc.

Amazing games, screw the haters.

Yeah same

Honestly there aren't many games I don't enjoy for what they are. Try to stay away from comparisons and just ask "am I having fun?" where fun can mean it feels great to play, or the art and music are really enjoyable, or you just want to find out what happens next. Maybe I have low standards, but whatever. I like to think of it more as seeing the good and all of the creative effort that went into each game.

Oct 27, 2017
Man if the games in the OP are examples of "bad games" I guess most people haven't played the real stinkers.

I've enjoyed a bunch of games that fall out of the 'universal acclaim' norm, including games considered outright trash. Some things just click the right way, and my enjoyment of a game isn't contingent on its overall reception.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Man if the games in the OP are examples of "bad games" I guess most people haven't played the real stinkers.
I know. All of the games that the OP listed range from medicore/average to good in my eyes. When I think of actual bad games, I think of shit like Superman 64, Action 52, Big Rigs Over the Road Racing, Life of Black Tiger, Shaq Fu, Hong Kong 97, Bubsy 3D, etc. Not Zelda II, Skyward Sword or FFXV.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
How 'bad' is bad anyway?

Suikoden 4, Secret of Evermore, FFXV were playable & functional at least.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There's a more worthwhile discussion here about how generally poor Era is about having nuanced takes about games. Like 85% of the titles popping up in this thread aren't even in the same ballpark as "bad". FFXV? Skyward Sword? Lol what

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, he clearly is asking about liking the black sheep entries of a series, not saying they're neccessarily outright bad.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
A lotta people hate on ODST & Reach when they're probably my favorite games in the Halo franchise. I like MGS4 but precisely because I also consider it a train wreck and its existence is fascinating to me.

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
What about actual "bad" games, like Big Rigs, E.T, hundreds of Early Access games on Steam though? Does playing these types of games make you appreciate other games more?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
There are lots of games people think are "good" that I loathe so I think it's all subjective OP.

Naughty Dog games are boring, God of War is boring, Whatever your favourite AAA prestige story title is I probably found it boring

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I do often like the Black Sheep in game series. Many times I struggle to understand why they're hated and why the best is so liked, as I'll often dislike what is commonly regarded as the best.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to reply differently but seeing as Skyward Sword is lumped in the same category as Other M all I can say is that kind of "bad" is highly subjective so yes I do enjoy them.
On the topic of Other M, it's not that it's bad as such, but it's so painfully mediocre that it's not worth our time.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
If they have an interesting thing going for them then I might still have a good time. For example, Rain World. Regardless of whether you find it good or "bad', it didn't review well and I see why. It isn't always "fun" to play. But it's a game that's engaged me more than a lot of titles from last-gen.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's incredibly harsh to call FFXV a bad game.

Did it live up to the hype? Not really.
Are there poor, even unfinished aspects? Absolutely.

But when you balance what it did poorly with what it did well, I think it can be classed as a solid game, albeit with room for improvement.

I love the characters and the road trip vibe. The world is gorgeous. The combat is fun.

I would urge people who played it upon first release to go back and give it a second swing with the Royal Edition, where the DLC really helps to flesh it out a bit and with somewhat tempered expectations now that the dust is settled and the hype is gone.
There really is a lot to enjoy.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't think any of those games are 'bad' games. They just aren't going to win any popularity contests within even their own franchise due to various widely disliked elements. There are tons of games where my favourite one in the franchise differs from the most common options, or where their critical reception hovers around 'average' but I adored it.

I can't even think of a 'bad' game I've even played in the last decade. The worst thing I can throw at most games I've played isnt that they had aspects I didn't want in x franchise, which tends to be the stuff I'll moan about on here, but more that they were mediocre and did nothing memorable to stand out at all. In which case I'll likely not even remember them a year later.

I did play tons of actual bad games on the Amstrad though. And paying £40 for Bayou Billy on the NES is something I'll always remember. Now that was a bad game :D

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Came in thinking this would be about actual bad games, which I do enjoy. Gotta play a few shitty games every once in a while to cleanse the palate.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
If we consider Skyward Sword and Secret of Evermore as 'bad' then we have a real problem here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I regularly come away from Reset Era feeling like most of the games I like are the worst shit ever.

Red Dead Redemption 2? Worst controlling game of all time!

The Last of Us Part 2? Derivative Oscar bait crap same as all other Sony games!

Demon's Souls? Stupid shitty gimmicky bosses! Game plays like outdated piss!

Devil May Cry 5? Trash! Don't even bother if you're only going to do one playthrough, you'll get nothing out of it! DmC was better than this tripe!

DmC? This game is as terrible as Vergil's fedora!!

Control? How does anyone like this game?? The action sucks and the ashtray maze is just some lame BUTTROCK!!

Doom Eternal? Fuck the marauder! Why am I playing Simon says! Why don't I have more ammo? Why do I have to use every gun? I can't be creative if I'm not allowed to just use my one favourite weapon! This story sucks! Doom 16 didn't even have a story! It said fuck you to story!!

Persona 5? The worst Persona of all time! The story sucks after the first act! The music isn't even anywhere near as good as Persona 4!

Persona 4? What is this Scooby doo meaningless crap with no stakes? The music isn't even anywhere near as good as Persona 3!!

Persona 3? This game is garbage and murdered Shin Megami Tensei! Nocturne shits all over this crap!

Nier Automata? How do people even like this game?? Boring bland ugly ass environments with shit combat and a dumb anime story!!

Ahem, sorry, I'm misrepresenting a handful of views as a collective and having too much fun doing so. I'm not particularly serious, it can just be a bit frustrating constantly seeing every game you enjoy crapped on. I think the thing that makes it worse is that often completely valid criticisms are buried under extreme language. It feels like everything is either the best X ever or the worst X ever.
You're right. And it doesn't help that Era's bubble is not just thick, it's also made out of the hardest concrete possible. People actually repeat things they see here and think """"""all the gamers""""""" think it.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You're right. And it doesn't help that Era's bubble is not just thick, it's also made out of the hardest concrete possible. People actually repeat things they see here and think """"""all the gamers""""""" think it.
Eh, most are aware they're in a bubble here, I think. And as far as bubbles go it seems to me it's one of the better bubbles in videogames. I just get a little frustrated that we all tend to talk like the things we like are the best and the things we don't are the worst. I'm also not the best at letting the harsher criticisms of games I like roll off my back and instead at times come away feeling like I'm wrong to like something, it's not a feeling I take too seriously, but it's one that does hit me.