• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

(Insert thread title of this thread here)

• Yes, I believe that a bit of silliness can elevate the dour attitude that propigates on Etcetera.

Votes: 364 80.9%
  • I do not care one way or the other. I think you are all over thinking this.

Votes: 46 10.2%
  • No, I believe that such stupidity is below us.

Votes: 40 8.9%

• Total voters

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because I get tired of this forum being:

"TRUMP DID ANOTHER EVIL THING"
"YOU'RE A BAD PERSON IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW -THING-"
"WOMAN RAPED BY 27 MEN POLICE DO NOTHING"
"EVERYTHING IS AWFUL AND LIFE HAS NO MEANING"
"GOVERNMENT DOES EVIL THING"

60-90% of the time. It isn't that these threads aren't important of course, but the forum doesn't need to be nearly all these types of threads.

I appreciate people who make silly or stupid thread even if moderation seems to prefer downer/extremely serious threads over stupid/silly ones. I'm not complaining about mods mind you it's just they seem to have little patience for threads where people are having fun but not breaking rules.

I'll take a toilet/bathroom thread 20 times before I see another "9 year old boy bullied to death" thread.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like them, but the mods dont. I dont get why we cant have more fun threads when everything else around here is such a fucking bummer

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I like funny but focused threads, like the cringe thread. I don't like silly nonsense threads. I'm on another forum where a poster is constantly starting threads with titles like "Have you ever..." and when you click through, the body is stuff like "...put all your clothes on inside out and fell through a worm hole and found yourself on the cricket planet?" and inexplicably lots of people play along with it.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to stop locking threads because "they won't lead to productive discussion".

Who. The. Fuck. Cares.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I don't like this push against "dour attitude", honestly. I've seen a lot of this sentiment lately and I think it's a little condescending and dismissive.

Existing is hard. Many of us here are minorities or people who have an affinity and care for minorities be they friends or just a general empathy for others. Over the last decade right-wing hate has grown emboldened, social media has proven ignorance and hate has safety in numbers and can often be worn on the sleeve with little consequence. People who just want to exist and be acknowledged are being told to stay silent and in some cases even being hounded to death. Progress fought for over decades is being attacked and even undone.

That's before we even get into mental health and its woefully under resourced solutions. Climate change, the rich getting richer, all the awful things we see in the world...

Anger, fear, hate of the people causing this suffering... these things are incredibly valid reactions. While it's always good to provide an escape from these things where we can (without this I think most of us would lose hope in even the thought of existing itself), dismissing the reality of the suffering and pain and even the lashing out that comes with that (we're all human, we're all imperfect) is not okay.

Jul 24, 2018
Yes, while I'm not big on "likes" I do enjoy people just being silly every now and then until a police men eventually arrives and arrests their instigator for the charges of "Strange sketch act". I like fun! It's good to have it every now and then.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Silly/stupid threads are fun but you can't force them. Organic nonsense only for me please.

But yeah sometimes they can be a bit forced and low effort, no heart and/or soul in them.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find them fun when there's a back and forth between the posters in said thread. The silly threads that are just people reacting to a singular article/story/meme fail to entertain me most of the time.

I do think there's a drought of these types of threads though, things have been pretty dour around here for the past few months.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
"Silly" is one thing. But the surfeit of threads this forum has sometimes discussing bathroom habits and bodily functions is a little ridiculous. How many variations on "Do you poop in the shower" do we need?

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love silly threads. But not all silly threads are created equal. Some silly threads are just low effort shitposts.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I always cringe when i see a funny thread is locked because a mod thought it's beneath them or some shit.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
There are silly threads and then there's bangaio level. I find most of it to be low effort shitposting tbh.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I always cringe when i see a funny thread is locked because a mod thought it's beneath them or some shit.

We don't lock threads on a whim nor does a single mod choose to lock threads.

We want to have fun, but we also take concerns seriously. What's fun to you may not be fun to others. If you think a thread was unjustly locked, report it and we'll take a look.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm all for silly threads, but people must remember that ResetEra tries to be an inclusive and safe for work environment. Many times a thread is pushed past both of those. Also, like EBF pointed out above, never is a thread locked by a single mod. It's a group decision.

Callum

Oct 27, 2017
I would have voted yes but I didn't agree with the "lighten the dour attitude" part. Where's the option for just liking silly threads for their own sake?

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
We need more levity around here, not less. This place is so self-serious and negative that I often just avoid even chipping in most of the time.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
There's plenty of organically great stupid and silly and non-depressing threads on here. That talk is overblown

And yes, of course they're necessary.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the weird hygiene threads that come about, but I enjoy silly threads. It's funny seeing people lose their shit over the pronunciation of 'gif'.

And while I'm here, I'll add my name to the "this place is miserable" list.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy fun/funny threads, but threads like the ones where people shit on food they don't like, nah, i don't need those.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
We don't lock threads on a whim nor does a single mod choose to lock threads.

We want to have fun, but we also take concerns seriously. What's fun to you may not be fun to others. If you think a thread was unjustly locked, report it and we'll take a look.

I'm all for silly threads, but people must remember that ResetEra tries to be an inclusive and safe for work environment. Many times a thread is pushed past both of those. Also, like EBF pointed out above, never is a thread locked by a single mod. It's a group decision.

multiple mods closing a goofy thread VS one mod closed the thread, doesn't really address the point thats been coming up alot lately. this place has gotten very dour, and people are asking for that to change. shouldn't the mods take what the community wants into consideration?

Last edited:

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Thread backfires are the most precious and fragile part of our ecosystem.

Remember the one about Marvel promoting childhood obesity? Jesus Christ, I'm still laughing over that one to this day.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like silly threads but the wording in the poll is too loaded for me to participate.

Good day.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
No, I think they're dumb. I'm guilty of closing a few when I was on staff and advocating for less stupid hygiene threads because really, why would you share some of that shit?

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much exclusively click on silly/lighthearted threads.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
multiple mods closing a goofy thread VS one mod closed the thread, doesn't really address the point thats been coming up alot lately. this place has gotten very dour, and people are asking for that to change. shouldn't the mods take what the community wants into consideration?

We can and we have.

B-Dubs said:
I will say, I would like to see more silly and weird threads. Not stuff that would make women on the site uncomfortable, but more fun stuff in general that everyone can feel good about posting in or reading. And honestly, I think the rest of the mod staff is with me on that one.

We're also discussing things behind the scenes on how to have more fun.

So go ahead. Be silly. Have fun. As long as you stick to the TOS you'll be golden.