• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
No, this has nothing to do with sex. The yard game whereyou throw a sack into a hole on a board. You've probably seen it before if you go to a college tailgate party

I used to think it's pretty boring and mindless (and it most definitely is when you play it at your average tailgate), but apparently it can get pretty challenging if you play it at a professional level. Yes, professional cornhole does exist, it even has its own league, the American Cornhole League.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I would always see people play it at org days and then I finally tried it. It's pretty fun even without the drinking.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of it depends on the board setup. There needs to be some slickness to it so the bags dont just stick.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, quite a bit. If I didn't live in a tiny apartment in the city and had a backyard I'd buy a set.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When I first got a corporate job in 2016, everybody was always playing cornhole. I had never heard of it. I was obviously familiar with the idea of bag toss games but never by this specific name and never on such an organized level. But my job is insane for cornhole. There is a guy here who will make cornhole boards and sell them to employees for 60 dollars. We have several on campus. We do organized tournaments. It is wild to me. I never play but mostly just thought it was a company quirk that most people outside my company wouldn't have ever heard of.

But now I feel like it's everywhere. They sell cornhole sets at Target now. People love this game. This is going to end up one of those funny trends of the 2010s that people gawk about. "Remember cornhole!?" Unless it's always been like this and I've just been out of the loop my whole life until now.

I cannot get away from it. It's at everything I go to now. I went to a wake with cornhole.

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
As a non-American, thanks for explaining what Cornhole is. Can you explain what a 'tailgate party' is? Everything in op sounds like a euphemism for something filthy.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
As a non-American, thanks for explaining what Cornhole is. Can you explain what a 'tailgate party' is? Everything in op sounds like a euphemism for something filthy.

Party thrown out of the tailgate of truck(s), usually in the parking lot of some sports event. Mostly consisting of people just drinking shitty beer in a parking lot.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Basically you go to a sporting event and party in the parking lot cause food and drinks are over priced in the stadium lol

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I play it all the time when we visit my parents, my dad built a really cool custom set with lighting underneath so you can play at night.

Most breweries in the PNW that have outside space normally have a couple sets out for people to use, too.

Jarlaxle

Oct 30, 2017
i love corn hole. Have my board my brother in law made for me years ago in the garage. What's not to love about a competitive game where you don't really have to move, can enjoy the outdoors, and play with a beer in the hand?

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
Party thrown out of the tailgate of truck(s), usually in the parking lot of some sports event. Mostly consisting of people just drinking shitty beer in a parking lot.
Basically you go to a sporting event and party in the parking lot cause food and drinks are over priced in the stadium lol

Thanks for the explainer. I imagined decadence and debauchery until I visited the wikipedia page -

Benstailgate.JPG

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Fun time killer but there are a lot more fun lawn games IMO. It's definitely more accessible than something like Spikeball.

Not a big fan of Cornhole but I love washers. Beer and washers are a damn fine combo.

Washers is great, we built a set a while back, no clue where it is now though.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Not a big fan of Cornhole but I love washers. Beer and washers are a damn fine combo and should be at every tailgate.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of it but seems like something i might enjoy with a beer.
I was expecting something different though. Playing Cornhole, ey?

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
It's an okay backyard game, but the name is stupid. I can't believe I just watched a 24 minute clip of a professional game on the edge of my seat, though.