• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Totally. I mostly play fighting games online, and I'm generally a real punching bag since I don't get to practice very much. I have a great time, though.

Aug 13, 2019
I do enjoy close games, even if I lose them. I enjoy stomping the enemy team less than I enjoy close games, and I don't enjoy getting stomped at all.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, it's part of the game.

I've mainly been playing Apex Legends since it's released, with a few hundred hours under my belt. I don't usually have a regular group, so pushing myself in ranked is going to come with losses since I'm just playing with randoms. I just accept it and focus on being a better player myself.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
In general, yes.

In Calladuty Blops 4 I played a lot of TDM, but I never cared much about winning or losing the match because you were always playing with randos and each match featured different team compositions. For me the enjoyment was in getting better at the game.

In battle royal games and modes winning is so statistically unlikely that losing never really bothers me either. It can be frustrating to spend a couple of minutes gathering a good loadout only to get killed the moment you leave your drop point. But there are so many factors at play that you can't control, that it isn't worth getting upset about.

Fighting games are a bit different. I can live with losing, but sometimes you get these losing streaks where you just can't help getting frustrated and nihilistic about your own progress. I will stop playing if I reach that point, if only for the day. I don't ragequit, but I have no problem denying people rematches if I don't want to continue. I'm playing the game for my own enjoyment after all; not theirs.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
In fighting games i enjoy it if i feel like I'm learning or if the games are close. Ir my opponent is destroying me completely I'll just move on until i find someone whos on my level or a little better than me.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
I've been playing Hunt: Showdown for over a 100 hours now and my K/D isn't over 1.0 yet. It's still my favorite multiplayer game this gen just because every match is such an engaging experience, so I really don't get frustrated if I die, in fact I just want to get back into the action ASAP!

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Just don't tunnel me in DBD and I'll have fun.

I fucking hate people who only think about winning when playing. They always are the most toxic in online games, only play with op characters, items, and addons. Only care about winning regardless of whether their playstyle is ruining the fun for others with them.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Fighters I'm fine with losing mostly until I reach a point where I feel like I'm not learning anything from it and don't know where to go next, then it can feel a little demoralising. The one on one nature helps me in general though.

I struggle most with team based games as I can get very self conscious that I'm letting the side down and would be doing everyone a favour by quitting.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games yes, Call of Duty yes.

Overwatch (Competitive), absolutely not.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Yes. Actually Dead by Daylight is a great example since it's one of the few multiplayer games I play regularly. I only play as survivor and I enjoy it even when I get killed.

I also started playing Overwatch last week and I lose more often than I win, but it's still fun.

That said, I played Apex Legends for two rounds this week for the first time and I uninstalled the game right after the second round. I completely suck at this game and didn't find it fun at all.

Also I absolutely love playing support characters so in Dead by Daylight and Overwatch I focus on keeping my teammates alive.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
I used to get frustrated playing fighting games online, and losing, so I stopped.

Games like League, Overwatch or Call of Duty? Hard for me to get upset unless there's bad balancing or someone on my team is intentionally trying to lose. I also don't play ranked in any of those games, so I imagine that would also make losing easier to deal with.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real problem is when it's a long, protracted loss that you can't really do anything about or learn from.

mobas etc

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I've gotten back into Duty with Blops on Series X.

Losing does suck, but you're in the next match fast enough that we have doesn't matter.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I still enjoy playing the game (otherwise, I wouldn't be playing!). When it gets frustrating for me is when teammates fuck around (i.e. team killing, etc).

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yes, I do. As long as it was a good game and I feel like I did my best, I'm all good. If those aren't the case then I feel a bit disappointed in myself but I'm over it as soon as the game's over, and I'm still laughing and messing around with mates during. It's just a fucking video game, afterall.

I honestly hate playing with people who can't handle losing. Some of my friends just spiral into this intense, brooding sadness whenever they're losing a game. Just ruins the night.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
This is kind of a weird question to ask since losing is what makes something competetive to begin with. Without losing there is no winning. To win you have to lose first. And if you stay winning, the competition is over.

In 1v1 games, you should lose every other match you play. If you aren't losing about half your games, or winning just a bit more than you lose, either the matchmaking is wack or you are the top percent.

Teambased games are different since you'd have to have a actual team of players before you can consider mmr. Otherwise it'll stay random and some people will win a lot more than others and it is not going to be fair competition.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
just like what most people have already said, a loss can still be enjoyable if it's an actually competitive match instead of a straight-up stomp. however, i can only tolerate it up to a point if i'm on a losing streak. sometimes i still end up feeling shitty in a close game that i lose because of an obviously bad play on my part or a teammate makes an easily avoidable mistake.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I don't enjoy the losing part but I did enjoy playing the game even if I did lose. Furthermore I can never stop a play session with a lose, I always try to end it with a win. And then I keep playing anyway and lose again. Rinse and repeat.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't enjoy playing competitive multiplayer games period, it's not about the winning or losing part. The communities around them are way too toxic for me to care, and I don't have the patience for that kind of shit anymore.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Generally, yes! I credit fighting games for giving me the right mindset about it, as others have shared already (you gotta take your lumps in order to learn and improve). Team Fortress 2 was always fun because it was just fucking nutty (though there were obviously situations that were not fun). But my favorite online game Rocket League is the most "pure" competitive experience I know of. All the cars have all the same functions, have only miniscule differences in hitboxes bewteen certain sizes, cosmetics are purely cosmetic, etc. etc. It all comes down to each player's ability to control your supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle car, and their ability to play soccer. Soccer is fun as hell, the cars control like a dream, the physics are all solid, so playing a match is just a great fucking time. It's almost always possible to mount a comeback too, so as long as people actually step up instead of giving up and leaving, you can get some incredibly thrilling games, win or lose.

May 19, 2020
once you lose consistently to zoomers in battle royale games you stop caring about it lol, best way to be. these are just toys for entertainment.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
The most fun match ups are ones that are close, period. I get zero or negative enjoyment out of stomping people out, especially in 1v1 games.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Depends on the game. Some games can be fun when you're losing, like Rainbow Six SIege. Every round is a chess match and trying to puzzle out how the other team is going to approach and how to counter them is half the fun.

Then there are games like Overwatch where losing feels like you just got ran over by a lawnmower. Absolutely do not enjoy games like that and have stopped wasting my time with them.

You're going to lose at least 50% of the matches you play, so if losing isn't fun then that game isn't worth playing.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima PerĂş
When the game drops you inmediatelly to another match, I enjoy it even if I lose because I have little time to get annoyed.
In the case of Titanfall 2, I love it even if I lose or I perform badly, there's something special about that game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game, usually ones that I suck at and have no hope of getting better at, like first-person shooters. Something like Team Fortress 2 where I can just run around, maybe sneak up behind people, and burn people's backs as Pyro is always a good time. Or I can just stand around as Engineer and watch the kills rack up from my sentry.

Ajacx

Sep 12, 2018
I don't like losing, no.

If it's a fair loss, I don't usually mind.
But 99% of the time it's bullshit.

reasons-i-lose-in-an-online-game-the-enemy-was-29817772.png
Um didn't I say this to you like just two days ago?

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can't win them all as there is always going to be someone better than you. I think it's okay to be a little frustrated at a loss, but being toxic, throwing a hissy fit, or in a team game you yell at your teammates then I don't think competitive games are something you should be taking part in.

The only competitive games I play anymore are fighting games but now that the arthritis in my hands are getting bad where they will often just lock up of their own will, you learn that at the end of the day it is just a game. Losing is part of the fun.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
If it's close-ish with evenly match players (not teams that's bullshit). Of course it's never, ever like this in my experience. Seems like there isn't a Dev out there capable of this.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as long as I see myself near the top of the scoreboard I can feel good about myself and blame my teammates' lackluster performance

Deleted member 43552

Banned
May 17, 2018
I love competitive games. I prefer to win but I'm happy to lose. I played Overwatch for a few years and when you get a high enough MMR you won't be able to win more than 55% of games anyway.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If it's something like Splatoon, Mario Kart and Pokemon TCG, yeah.

I don't play anything I need to "get serious" like MOBAs, life is stressful enough.

Oct 28, 2017
I am not a good loser. It makes me feel very bad. That's why most of the time I avoid online multiplayer. Can't lose if you don't play.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I don't even enjoy playing competitive multiplayer games even when i WIN.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Any competitve multiplayer games that hook me do it through the satisfaction of learning and mastering a class/character/weapon/playstyle. Yeah I want to win, but as long as my personal trajectory is trending upwards and fun is being had, I'm cool.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Sure.

As long as it's fun.
Fun is depending on the match making quality and performance.

If it's newbies vs pro, than no.
If the hit registration is poor, than no.

If the competition is close, and the response is good.. Yes.

Can't win them all.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
BR games are so variable that its easy to convince yourself that your loss wasn't your fault. When it's almost always your own fault. I enjoy them a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
As long as I'm not playing poorly, yes. If I lose but balled out along the way, what can you do? Can't carry everyone. Playing well yourself at least makes the journey towards the conclusion enjoyable if not still difficult. If I played poorly and lost, then I'm upset. Mostly at myself for being an anchor that day.

Depends on the genre too. Specifically how long the writing is on the wall before the loss. Sometimes a MOBA game can be on life support for 20-30 minutes, as you try to convince allies to not give up or try to win against the interests of teammates intentionally trying to throw because they're upset at someone or something.