• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
header_ratio.jpg
Was logging in for the Dead by Daylight Advent Calendar and was thinking about this. So often we see clips & compilations of players getting mad while playing MP if things don't go their way, but there's never much discussion on if people enjoy MP games despite winning.

That isn't to say you should enjoy absolutely getting stomped 10-50 in Call of Duty, but sometimes the experiences you get while playing can be better than getting an actual win itself. Part of me thinks this is partly an aspect that played into Battle Royale's getting big. Just surviving by the skin of your teeth to the top 10 can be quite the thrill on its own.

In another title like Dead by Daylight, just self sacrificing yourself so others can get away is more enjoyable than just escaping alone. These two are pretty specific examples, but was curious if anyone else feels the same way in whatever MP fare they partake in.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a close, good competitive match, yes absolutely.

If it's a roflstomp because the teams are unbalanced or the other team is a clan of 16 people vs 16 randos in a public match, then absolutely not.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I've played video games all my life, but I am terrible at video games. But I enjoy playing MP games, whether or not I do well (usually not).

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Usually no, but I don't really like competitive stuff in general (be it games or real life). I prefer co-op multiplayer games.

I did prefer playing as a counselor on the Friday the 13th game though. Seeing how long I could last was a ton of fun. Too bad the game is dead thanks to the lawsuit.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Regarding BRs, as that's the first genre that came to mind as well, I played a TON like many did with friends in PUBG and we would constantly get rolled. We finally had some chicken dinners but it was very fun and we kept at it though rarely ever winning early on.

When I would play solo and lose, I'd stop after maybe a couple matches. It's not even close to the same experience for me and the fun is completely lost.

So there's a definite enjoyment with multi games even when we'd lose... no question.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yes, I do, especially when playing something like Starcraft, Warcraft or Apex. There is nobody else to blame for my mistakes, but myself. And I always see every loss as an opportunity to learn and do better next time.

In games like Dota, though, I find it miserable because of the toxicity of playing with randoms and losing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
sure, as long as im playing alone, like with a fighting game

with team based games i never get upset or angry, but it can be stressful for me if i feel like im holding back my team

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It's unfortunately why I have to restrict myself from playing a lot of multiplayer games. I don't like what it does to me.

It's specifically an issue playing people online. The social obligation to hold it together and be cordial supersedes the frustration in real life, but when I'm playing people online I just get extremely frustrated.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes you've gotta lose to get better.

I keep playing if it's fun, not because I win.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, because it's all about getting better, and losing doesn't mean I didn't execute certain aspects of my gameplay I've been working on.

I would quit fighting games if I winning was the only way to enjoy myself.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
If I am playing on a team with a bunch of total stranger vs another bunch of strangers, I honestly couldn't give a damn about which team wins.
When it comes down to me alone, then, it depends on how badly I lose. Only just losing? Yeah I will still have fun. Getting destroyed without a chance in hell? That shit puts me off a game permanently.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yeah, I rarely won when I played my friends at FIFA but that did make it all the sweeter when I did occasionally win. I enjoyed it either way, especially the little successes in a match. We had a rule that if you lost by more than 5 goals you had to write a formal letter of apology for wasting the other persons time. Cost me a fortune in stamps.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
As long as they're relatively close, I don't mind losing. Stomps are no fun, regardless if you're winning or losing.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy getting good games/wins and scoring kills on Apex Legends and accept I might die as soon I land in the next round, which honestly isn't so bad because the games are relatively fast.

It's the extremely sweaty people who think they're going to be the next esports big things that I don't enjoy and it's the biggest reason I stopped playing R6S. It's either winning while yelling at your teammates or lose and insult them despite you dying because of being careless. It's a complicated matter for me.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Really close games are fun as hell. Win or lose. Stomps on either side, are not fun.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I used to only on smash. It was strange being mad only on that. I did eventually get over that... but I also improved enough to get past the rage moments.

Now that I have a TBI, I'm mostly mellow in multiplayer. I get mad at single player sometimes, but I think everyone does every once and a while.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Depends on the game. I don't *like* losing in fighting games, but I also don't mind it and know it's literally 50/50 that I win or lose, and it's not really a reflection of my validity as a player. But RTS, the stress is too much and losing feels like I'm being eaten alive lmao

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I engage in competition to learn things about myself. Winning feels great, but working my hardest in a losing effort can be just as fulfilling.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If it's a roflstomp because the teams are unbalanced or the other team is a clan of 16 people vs 16 randos in a public match, then absolutely not.
Precisely this. I like feeling a bit challenged in a game, playing well and losing anyway. But just being completely destroyed is . . . well, at least it's over quickly in most games.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

Yeah this is it for me.

A close game in a fighting game, siege, overwatch, Dota 2, Valorant etc and i really enjoy it and will just be like GG.

But if i can see that the matchmaking has clearly fucked up or people have left the game and i have to sit for 15-20 minutes in a 4v5 or lower, then its not enjoyable

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I can't enjoy the game. Always lose my shit when I lose. That's why I have stopped playing them.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
Depends if I'm playing a competitive game or playing competitively

Fortnite with the lads on a call? Who cares if we lose, it's funny pulling hijinks and shenanigans.

Me alone trying to raise my ranking on arenas? No it's not fun

Tater

Oct 30, 2017

Basically, this. I don't mind losing if I felt like we had a chance, made some good plays, and it was competitive. If it's a total blowout, or someone is throwing, it becomes a total waste of time.

I loved playing Overwatch, but I since I typically played single queue I realized that I was letting five random people on the internet decide whether or not I was going to have a good time.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
For some games, yes because just doing certain actions in games is the fun part, not the winning.

But a lot of games I've played these days are full of things that are fun to do, but super miserable to have done to you. Those aren't fun to lose.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I consistently went 0-2 or 1-2 in local Super Smash Bros. Melee tournaments for like four years, and still played the game as much as I could. So yes.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yes, it's apart of the game. Sure there are moments where I get frustrated, but those are mostly due to toxic people. I just try to do the best for what playing. I've learned plenty in siege by losing.

Maybe because I've given up chasing Ranked numbers I have a better time. Stick to causal and just enjoy the game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
MP isn't my forte but for the handful of MP games i play... i suck royally, but still a good time to be had. aside from the toxicity

i think age is a factor, you're like in that 25+ range who gives a fuck you suck at a video game

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I've moved away from playing the Competitive modes in most online multiplayer games I play. I'd generously call myself a mediocre gamer, and the toxicity in some online games I've played (Heroes of Newerth, Overwatch) is bad enough that I just relegate myself to the casual mode or quick play for the game. People raging mid-game really activates my ability to become a sore loser that just ends the match pissed off at their teammates, so I've mostly removed that element. I can still enjoy the game in the less competitive environments even if I'm losing, but the competitive mode just brings out the worst in others (and myself >.>)

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Being honest with my feelings, losing isn't fun, so no I don't enjoy playing competitively and losing.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I enjoy a good close game, win or lose. I would much rather lose a close match than simply roll over my opponents in CoD Black Ops Cold War. It makes it feel like decisions count.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'm not competitive with my video games, I have enough stress with work and life to get salty about what is supposed to be a fun hobby and source of entertainment. Sure it's a good feeling when you win and do well, but I find ways to have fun in losing.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Yea. Losing isn't anything special, millions of people lose at some activity everyday.

Oct 31, 2017
Typically, I play to win and I want to win, but I don't mind losing unless it's an absolute, total thrashing bloodbath and/or depending on how teammates are acting/if they are quitting, which I'm never a fan of. I'm definitely not a quitter, unless I absolutely have to/or the situation is so miserably lopsided that it just makes more sense to quit rather than prolong the misery for everyone.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I only really played two games I could call "competitive".

- While it still worked well for me, Quake Champions was a game I could play and just shrug off any losses and enjoy my whole sessions.
- On the other hand, MTG Arena can really piss me off and make me feel like I wasted time playing it even if I won some games.

I guess the big difference in my example is the large amount of RNG in the latter, by the nature of it being a card game?

Mar 8, 2018
Usually if it's a solo multiplayer game, even if I'm feeling highly competitive, I can still have fun in a loss.

If it's a team-based game, it honestly depends on how my teammates react. I've had some very fun games of Siege where we've lost, either in a close game or a curb stomp, and it's been great fun because everyone involved tried their best and treated each other with respect. But the opposite has also been the case, where Siege teammates have descended into a toxic whirlwind, and those games have never been fun.

So I would say, it's all about your mindset and the mindset of the people around you. How do you let losses affect you? And what do you choose to take away from them to try and get better?

Nov 1, 2017
Massachusetts
Only if I get the feeling that my opponents are good sports, like if they're enjoying themselves when THEY lose. That's a lot harder online vs. strangers than when playing with people I know or when playing in the same room but it's not that uncommon. Works a lot better when we can clearly communicate though.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If that match is good I'm fine with losing because I had a good time regardless. I can't find a reason to enjoy getting stomped.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Losing and improving is half the fun. Unless it's due to some xp progression reason, which is why I avoid those games.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I would not play FGs if I got overly upset at losing. Can't imagine being in state of pure salt %50 of the time I play a game lol

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
All depends on why I lose. To use Dead by Daylight as an example, I can easily take a loss against a good killer or a group of well coordinated survivors, but when as a survivor I die because my teammates suck and make no attempt to rescue me from the hook that is indeed quite annoying to say the least.
Same with CoD, I have no issue losing but when you're playing an objective based mode and lose because 4 or 5 of your teammates are a bunch of killwhores playing as if they're playing TDM that's quite annouing.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Yes, but I only really like 1v1 games or games were I'm not on a team. If I'm going to lose i want it to be my fault