• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• Yep

Votes: 221 65.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 115 34.2%

• Total voters

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There's a pep ability Halellujah that adds an XP Multiplier to the fight and a pep ability called Electro Light that summons ultra rare metal slimes that give huge XP, then you just need those items that give you instant pep (i forgot what they are called), so you can do that repeatedly and a character with a weapon/skill that can kill them, gives you about 5-10 levels per fight

Zxs9cUa.jpg
Awesome, thanks! That will help me clear it a bit quicker

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
when Tactics Ogre is constantly teasing me with the new abilities I could get, if I level up just a biiiit more, what am I supposed to do? Not grind?

Jan 21, 2019
I absolutely love grinding for my own sake, even to the detriment of the game itself. I just can't stop myself. I need to be able to obliterate folk. It often ruins the natural difficulty of the game but that is something I have to deal with.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Hoagies and grinders
Hoagies and grinders
Navy Beans
Navy Beans
f9c0b010f7bcbeba19b3f318889ba8fe.jpg

Anyway, yes. I grind.

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
FF7R is a good example of level grinding - you can cap out at level 50 after you beat the game with 5-10 hours of effort, max.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the other hand has no end to the grind.

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
As others have said, if I can get into the loop, grinding can lead to some of my most satisfying play sessions. As I've gotten older I've learned I'd rather just grind up before a hard fight so that I can advance and not have to go at it multiple times

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Nope, kinda bums me out the leveling systems and level gating is so trendy as it is. It feels extremely gamey and arbitrary.

I would love it if RPG's could come up with more skillful and engaging ideas to overcome obstacles, instead of me dumping tons of ammo in a level 85 rat which makes no sense in the fiction.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Stick on some music or a podcast and I'm good for an hour or two of repetition. I like to be a bit overleveled in RPGs, so I'll always wander around outside a new town for a bit before chugging on to the next story event. I'm not against an alternative though.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, if given the choice and progress is not limited

A startling amount of people were defending AC Odyssey's system of lock you out of story missions to force you to play the game their way and look right past the exp in the Micro-transaction store and that ain't it chief.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
depends on the game
i dont like to overlevel in rpgs but stuff like borderlands is more about the loot than the enemies, so why not

Yes, if given the choice and progress is not limited

A startling amount of people were defending AC Odyssey's system of lock you out of story missions to force you to play the game their way and look right past the exp in the Micro-transaction store and that ain't it chief.

nobody defends the exp mtx, just contest this stupid notion that you are OBLIGATED to buy them or god forbid actually engage with some of the side content in a game (some of them being contracts that you dont even need to do anything if the idea of playing a game in your game is so abhorrent) instead of zipping through main quest after main quest and then getting upset levels are getting higher.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Meh. I have no desire to cap out an arbitrary leveling system if my strategies are enough to carry me.
The numbers matter very little to me in comparison to understanding and utilizing the mechanics.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
depends on the game
i dont like to overlevel in rpgs but stuff like borderlands is more about the loot than the enemies, so why not

nobody defends the exp mtx, just contest this stupid notion that you are OBLIGATED to buy them or god forbid actually engage with some of the side content in a game (some of them being contracts that you dont even need to do anything if the idea of playing a game in your game is so abhorrent) instead of zipping through main quest after main quest and then getting upset levels are getting higher.

But some people like to do the side content after the main story. They are locking people from doing what they want with the game they purchased. FFVIIR with all its "ladder, an slide through this wall padding" at least let you leave some stuff for a second run in addition to partition content for that second run as well.

Stop telling me how to play games, you and Ubisoft both don't seem to get that people play things differently.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If it's in a game where there are optional challenges you need to power up for, then yes. Like earlier Final Fantasy games.

If it's just to get more powerful to stomp on everything then no.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
But some people like to do the side content after the main story. They are locking people from doing what they want with the game they purchased. FFVIIR with all its "ladder, an slide through this wall padding" at least let you leave some stuff for a second run in addition to partition content for that second run as well.

Stop telling me how to play games, you and Ubisoft both don't seem to get that people play things differently.

You are not being locked out of anything. You can still do the stuff, enemies will just be stronger cause you're not leveled enough. And contracts are not "side content", theyre randomly generated checkmarks you can pick up at any time during your game (including after the main story) and give xp for doing menial things you can do during the main quest anyway like killing x athenians or sinking y ships, so you could still just do main quests and level up faster at the same time.

"Stop telling me a super easy and painless fix to this huge problem i have with the game! i want to be outraged!"

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I never avoid combat and I always do most side quests but running in circles battling the same ennemies over and over again is so boring.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If it's a story driven rpg with fixed characters, no. If anything, i enjoy when your experience is limited to balance the battles better, like in Chrono Cross or FFXIII.

Recently i enjoyed grind in Digimon Cyber Sleuth just to make my mons evolving and devolving dozens of times to get cooler forms. It's just addicting to see the huge exp values when you have a lot of exp+ equips and two Platinum Numemon in the active party for the last dungeon.

Paine

Jan 6, 2018
Depends on the game. I enjoyed AC Origins, but I was not doing that grind up to level 40 just to see the deserts in the middle of the map. It's a shame because there could be some good content but no. I don't get why massive areas of the game like that would require serious grinding, when they could just alter the recommended level to whatever level you finish the game at.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Depends on how fun the combat and grinding is really.

The whole concept of grinding is kinda moot for me because I have around 2000 hours in to Monster Hunter. It has became my DNA.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes, but I hate when doing all the sidequests is effectively optional level grinding, and ends up trivializing the rest of the game. I just wanted to play all the content, not make the game way too easy...

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. In all Gen 5 and earlier Pokemon games I would spend hours grinding between gyms.

In WoW Classic I typically grind out levels 18-24 on a beach in Ashenvale.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I do... if what I do counts.

That is, I don't consciously 'choose' to grind - but my natural playstyle is slow and methodical, and often includes setting smaller sidegoals (explore every nook and cranny, earn enough gold for the next store purchase, find crafting materials, that sort of thing) over carrying out whatever's required for straight progression; I mentioned when I was playing Dishonored that I liked to have the objective marker on to give me some indication about where not to go.

The process of doing that does lead me towards being 'naturally grindy'. Not forced, and not intentional as such, but a side-effect of the other things I do.

(This does occasionally have negative side-effects of being too powerful at times; in FFXII I had basically completed the entire license board before I was halfway through the game!)

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If there are abilities/items/weapon levels to unlock via fighting then I want to be able to do that whenever.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yes, that's why it's called optional. Plus, if you love the combat and the music. I'll definitely do a lot of grinding.

Nov 9, 2017
I have been doing it voluntarily since Final Fantasy I where I would refuse to leave a town until I bought all upgraded weapons/armor/magic.

It actually bothers me that I force myself to do it in modern games like Sekiro where it actually saps the fun out of the game a little.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on whether I see that grinding as a worthwhile use of time vs. reward. Dragon Quest does a good job with the various types of metal slimes, and they can usually be found with regularity in specific spots. That kind of grinding is fun, because they appear frequently, but escape frequently too if you don't get your all-or-nothing hits in before they leave. The rewards can have you going up several levels from just a few minutes of effort.

On the flipside, I didn't like it in Octopath Traveler, since even basic field battles required a level of attention and time from me that didn't seem to make up for the reward, even though the battle system in and of itself was pretty fun. But when it comes to optional grinding specifically, I want minimal effort to maximum reward. Like Blissey Bases in Pokemon ORAS, or using the Hoimi Table in Dragon Quest 9.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing Sekiro and it's fun to grind a little and get some goodies. The game kicks your ass and you can't necessarily over level so I don't mind doing it. Especially when I'm exhausted from a difficult section and want to have some mindless fun

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for the need to grind for blood vials in Bloodborne my first time through, I wouldn't have discovered a hidden path. Sometimes grinding can lead to exploration, new discoveries, and just getting better with the mechanics of the game.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
If the combat is fun and there's actually a decent way to grind then yeah. I don't mind exploiting enemies or having a grind load out that increases my exp to max out my levels. It's part of the game. I do hate grinding when I feel like the base encounters aren't enough yet they don't really have an area filled with high ranking monsters that I can take advantage of and grind out.

Octopath is an example, it's hard to grind there past 50-60, which is a shame because the boost system is fun.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I like the option to spend out a little time grinding out a few levels or skills if I'm having trouble with a particular boss or area.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I do up until it trivializes the rest of the game content and gives me no optional challenging content to validate what I grinded for to begin with

Apr 20, 2020
Yeah, one of the first things I'll do in a new souls game is park at an early bonfire and grind a few levels

Imagine my dismay when playing Dark Souls 2 and the enemies just stopped showing up