• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because I certainly don't. It's one of the few things I don't mind looking up because I just don't find the process enjoyable or rewarding. Take Resident Evil 2 Remake for example. I didn't waste any time trying to dig up combinations via notes. I just looked them up on the internet.

I'm playing Darkwood right now and will probably look up combinations soon because I'm freaking stuck trying to find them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just another form of puzzle solving. If you want to cheat, you do you.

That's not the main appeal to me in something like Resident Evil 2. Hoping I come across a note that has a number on it so I can use it elsewhere isn't my idea of a puzzle. I enjoy puzzles but that isn't it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I liked how Last of Us did it, it relies on character knowledge of the code, not player knowledge so the character has to find the note anyway. I thought it was satisfying finding the note.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked how Last of Us did it, it relies on character knowledge of the code, not player knowledge so the character has to find the note anyway. I thought it was satisfying finding the note.
Yes, I enjoy this too. As long as my character comes across it and remembers it him or herself, I like it.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
If it's braindead easy, no. If I need to actually think, yes.

Edit: nvm, this is about finding codes physically, not through a puzzle. It's kind of whatever then.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's braindead easy, no. If I need to actually think, yes.

Edit: nvm, this is about finding codes physically, not through a puzzle. It's kind of whatever then.

Yeah, which seems to be the case in Darkwood at the moment. Atmosphere is top notch but I'm at a loss for the combos right now. Haven't found anything to give me them.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I had a blast playing Fez because i ended up with a ton of sheets of paper scrambled with codes and thoughts :)

So... yeah i love having to decipher hints in ingame notes and use my own notes

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I enjoy piecing together a story through notes/journals etc way more than specifically learning a code to unlock a door.

Most recently I enjoyed reading through the logs on the Hope near the end of The Outer Worlds to learn exactly why and how it got stranded.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
In a game like Resident Evil 2 where a large part of the game (and the appeal of the game to me at least) is to backtrack through areas with new keys and tools to open up previously locked rooms and find new items I enjoy it and I think it fits the game.

cvltclassic

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I think it's a fine line for me. It really depends on how likely you are to come across the notes, how long the text of the note is, and if the combo is gating progress or just optional.

I don't mind a bit of a hunt, and like to be challenged a bit, but I also don't want to sift through multiple pages of notes that are only found in an obscure location to be able to progress through the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a game like Resident Evil 2 where a large part of the game (and the appeal of the game to me at least) is to backtrack through areas with new keys and tools to open up previously locked rooms and find new items I enjoy it and I think it fits the game.
I'm referring to the safes and lockers. I enjoy backtracking too.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was going to be about the music puzzles in Remnant...

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I think it's a pretty elegant way to create opportunities for players who are struggling with a game to get a leg up - as you say, you can usually look up the code - while still creating a challenging hunt for those who would rather do a proper search.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I'm referring to the safes and lockers. I enjoy backtracking too.

To me there isn`t really a difference between seeing a safe and then later on finding the code in a note and going back and unlocking and seeing a locked door then later on finding the right key and going back and unlocking it. I enjoy doing both things. I read all the notes in RE anyway though, so if you`re not doing that I can see it being a bit more annoying.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me there isn`t really a difference between seeing a safe and then later on finding the code in a note and going back and unlocking and seeing a locked door then later on finding the right key and going back and unlocking it. I enjoy doing both things.
Yeah I wish I could enjoy the former but I don't.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
It depends if there's a puzzle involved, like some of the safe combinations in the Dishonored games where a note would give you clues to piece together the solution from the environment. I don't like it that much when it's spelled out directly in a note.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the character remembers it or it comes up on screen if you've found it, it's class.

Having to find a note with it in your inventory or write it down? I am looking it up online.