• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i do. I think every game can offer its own unique flair. I think that's what makes games unique. I appreciate some games are soul crushingly hard with no compromise as well as appreciating games that are super chill and offer a relaxing experience. If the game is designed around those concepts it really brings out the best in them and that's how I think it should be. If its a game where its traditionally one way and has turned far into the other way, I'm obviously not going to like it because that's what I'm used to an enjoy the game for (like if Ninja Gaiden suddenly became a super easy story driven game instead of a challenging stylish action).

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, if they're not pretending to be. A game that's 90% combat and the combat is braindead easy is a boring game. I don't need What Remains of Edith Finch to be mechanically challenging to greatly enjoy it, however.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sometimes I like to just chillax.

nye1.gif

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I understand why these games exist but I personally don't find them fun.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Mhm, i don't like visual novels but i enjoy walking simulators more than i can say.

As long as the world is great and the story is engaging, give me walking simulators all day long.
I'll play them once, i'll forget them and after 5 years i'll play them again.

For me the story and dialogue makes or breaks a game.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yes if the game is focused on telling a narrative -- I've put RPGs on easy and enjoy stuff like Journey, or if the game is meant to be kind of a chill game like Animal Crossing or recently A Short Hike, which does have some challenges but nothing crazy.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on mood and game, for instance when I play Dynasty Warriors style games, one thing I enjoy about them is that they're easy, that I can literally amuse myself playing them (ie stop thinking) and it can be rather therapeutic playing easy peasy games...

But sometimes I'd rather play a harder game either that requires more attention or more thought

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Definitely, going through Saint's Row IV with a friend right now and it's fun because of how overpowered we are.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my goodness yes. I've played through SOR4 like 8 times now on easy because it's fun just to rip through those guys not giving a care. GOTY.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
For sure. My only caveat when playing games is I have to be enjoying myself. All else is worth nothing. Could look the greatest, sound the best, be sublime mechanically etc but if I am not enjoying it I don't play it. The challenge of it doesn't really come into it really.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the format of a game, though my experience has been moulded somewhat by the likes of having walkthroughs for adventure games since I was like, 5. I was conditioned less to treat them as narrative puzzles, and more like very elaborate visual novels. Sure, that's not how they were intended, but sometimes you just prefer an experience without the frustration

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
No. Loathe that, if I want no challenge I just watch regular tv or a let's play. Even a book challenges you to think.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
If the game is well designed around it, and is able to remain engaging without the need for challenge, sure.

But if it's something like a platformer or action game that feels like it's supposed to be challenging, then no, it usually will be boring if it's too easy.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
It depends on my mood and the game.

A lot of my favorite RPGs are super easy and I still relay them often.

I don't think I've ever stopped playing a game because it was too easy, only if the gameplay itself isn't fun.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It depends on a few factors. Like I love Kirby games, so I don't mind the easier pace of them even at full price...If it's a Visual Novel, or supremely narrative driven based game, then yeah fine... If its an ARPG that just feels like a soulless button masher, or a weak platformer, then nah, I'm cool...

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Yes, because I can take less time to experience it. I want to play so many games and it's hard to keep up nowadays with little time for myself.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Yeah, relaxing and easy games are good from time to time. I don't need to be challenged all the time, sometimes I just want to chill and have fun.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I do. Most of my favorite games are arcade-style action games, but there's room for unchallenging games too (I'm playing Dragon Quest IV right now and enjoying it a good amount). Games that lack in challenge have to work hard in other ways to keep the player engaged, and it's an uphill battle, but it's not unfeasible.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, games don't necessarily need challenge to be fun. Sometimes the mechanics are fun enough to carry an easy game.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Somehow the more I like a game the more I'm willing to let it challange me. Sometimes I just wanna breeze through tho, even if I'm enjoying myself.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With the Steam release of SWTOR recently I decided to give it a go after not having played it since just after release annnnnd they gutted he difficulty of the main class storylines completely. It makes it completely and utterly boring.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there are entire genres built with no challenge in mind, so sure?

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally zero interest in "being good" at games. Both challenging and non challenging games are great imo as long as they justify their designs.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the purpose of the game. Atmosphere, Setting, Music, Characters, Dialogue, and Overall Story can overcompensate for a lot. It's why I love Deadly Premonition. However there's no question if Deadly Premonition controlled and played like the RE Engine games along with better baddies AI it be a better game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Depends, narrative-driven games like VN's or stuff like Edith Finch aren't exactly asking much in ways of challenge, but that's not what they're about. Currently playing Disaster Report 4 which has no real challenge to speak of, but I'm enjoying that immensely.

That said, games that clearly present challenges to be cleared through use of actual game-mechanics, player-input and skill I'd like to be properly challenging. For instance I don't rate Mario Odyssey that highly because of the complete lack of challenge throughout and it's such a shame.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
If a game does narrative or exploration really well i don't mind.

But somthing like a platformer or an action game where you are invincible is super boring to me.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
For me it's all about fun and engagement and that can be presented to you in many different ways. It doesn't have to be challenging, etc etc. If i feel like i'm not enjoying the content then i stop playing.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
Sure, if the mechanics are still fun. A game is ultimately a set of mechanics which sometimes has some coating like story etc. The core thing needs to be good, but not necessarily challenging.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the situation. Is the game social IE rockband or whatever? Not really cause it's more about the bonding. Other than that, generally yes. I don't really like steamrolling content. May as well watch all the cutscenes and stuff on YouTube if the meat of the thing doesn't engage me or have me pay attention.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If the games focus in it's own mechanics, then no. I'm not creative, so roaming around aimlessly is too boring to me, I need a challenge. If it's only background for a story, the I can enjoy the game for it's story.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
For sure, every once and awhile. It's a nice change of pace.

The last game I did this with was a F2P game aimed at children called Island Saver which I saw pop up on the Nintendo eShop a few months ago. It was easy as piss but it was a really chill and comfy game to just sit back and play and it was a surprisingly well made game, to boot.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Why are people acting like easy games have no gameplay? Mario Odyssey and Galaxy are easy games filled with gameplay. So are Zelda games. You people aren't making any sense.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sometimes it can be good to just switch my brain off for a bit. I do it when replaying games as well because I already know I can beat it at a harder difficulty and just want to blast through it again.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do. I appreciate being able to relax more and sort of turn off my brain.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I'm good enough at some games like Bionic Commando (NES), Mega Man games, and Super Mario games that I know I will eventually win, but play anyway because I like the games and also have great nostalgia for them. Its very relaxing to play them.