• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently been playing New Super Lucky's Tale on the Switch and while I'm enjoying aspects of it I'm finding it a little too easy and it's removing some of my enjoyment from the game. Do you have any games that you feel the same about? Not every game needs to be a Souls but I feel that some challenge is nice.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Stuff like visual novels and walking simulators are cool once in a while, but I usually do prefer games that test my skills, mental and physical.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the mood I am in. When I have a tiring day at work, I tend to enjoy games more that are very chill with little challenge, where I just can relax with without any extra stress.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i guess it depends. i enjoyed journey, for instance

i can't think of an example, but i know there are games where i loved the story but hated the gameplay

in most games, though, i enjoy challenge

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I remember Kirby's Epic Yarn being too easy and that diminishing my desire to keep playing it, despite the awesomely creative visuals.
Just remembered, it was the same with Ni No Kuni 2. That game was just way too brain dead easy at release. They've since patched it, but I haven't gone back to it yet.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Kirby's Epic Yarn

Such a lovely game, but I never completed it because there was literally zero challenge whatsoever.

tumblr_nvwg9fjGaB1ugpysho1_500.gif

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Depends on the game. If it's something like Firewatch or Journey, I don't mind minimal challenge.

If it's a game where I'm actively engaging with systems and AI, then yeah I need a challenge. Pokemon Sword/Shield wasn't anywhere near as good as past games for example because the challenge was basically non-existent.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I do, yes. Not all the time, but a relaxing experience is often what I'm looking for.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Depends on what I'm in the mood for. I mean I wouldn't be well past level 400 in Bejeweled 3's Zen Mode if challenge was all I wanted.

And then I boot up some character action game and set the difficulty to "Why would you even...?" and have fun with that.

Basically, I play lots of games. Some are challenging, some are not. Both work for me.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Yup, sometimes you just need a game that you can swoop through without a hitch.

I've been Sekiro and I've played through Journey bother were fun in their own way.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
No, what is the point?
Unless its story driven game like Soma or other similar games.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Nope. I get bored really quick with no resistance. So I avoid games like that.

I wish ghost of tsushima had lethal difficulty at launch As the hardest was too easy.

Not tried lethal yet as its too soon since I finished it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the game. I've beaten Dark Souls with pride...

... and I've also enjoyed my time breezing through it with God Mode enabled.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Only if its very story focused. If it has a lot of gameplay its gonna need some challenge to keep me engaged. Something stimulating, else why bother making it a game?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i like my game to not stress me out when i dont feel like it yes

if the game is well designed, challenge isn't always necessary

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there something to motivate me along, then yea, I don't mind. Mario is a relatively easy game to make it to the credits, but it's full of inventiveness that I'm always excited to see what they do next

Pokemon is easy, but the game lacks decent story beats, characters, reasons to explore, and even reasons to even fight much of anything aside from filling the pokedex that it's a struggle to get through the games now

Nov 1, 2017
I have fully completed and unlocked all achievements for the Dark Souls trilogy (humble brag) so i'm definitely not averse to hard games but often these days i'm happy to play games on easy and just enjoy the experience. There are so many games out there to play and so little time that it feels like a waste if i'm banging my head against a brick wall with a game that's stopping me from progressing. Like i've played Yakuza 0, Kiwami and currently going through Kiwami 2 all on easy and having a blast, although i suspect my enjoyment of the Yakuza series hasn't really got anything to do with the actual battle system and difficulty.

Having said all that i do have my eye on Sekiro at some point so that will be a shock to the system. So i've heard.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
Yeah, it's definitely good to throw some easier games into the mix. I've been playing a bunch of Episode 1 Racer recently and while I do love the game to death, it's not on the god-tier level of F-Zero since it's a bit too easy.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm not sure what a game with "no challenge" would look like. Rockband on easy? R-Type Final with invincibility on?

boring as hell honestly. i need SOME kind of challenge (edit: or at least strongly narratively driven content) to keep me engaged.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a fan of physically challenging games but I do really love mentally challenging once like with puzzles or turn based puzzles.

Having said that I play many games that have know challenge both story focused games and not. If I'm having fun or enjoying a game it not being challenging makes no difference to me.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think so, I didn't enjoy Journey at all, despite the game having great art direction and music.

There needs to be some kind of "gameplay" there even if it's only minimal challenge (combat, platforming, puzzles, stealth, etc), basically only pushing the stick forward just isn't enough for me.

Siobhan

Oct 28, 2017
I've dropped games for not being challenging enough, but there are plenty of games out there where challenge is not the point. So, yeah.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
sure but it depends, i'm not usually interested in games with very limited interactivity like visual novels

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to nail every other aspect of the game almost perfectly for me to. The game is basically taking a 0 in the gameplay category, so it better make it up with 10s everywhere else.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game.
™

So long as the game is engaging and it feels like my actions/choices matter in some way (and is fun) I can still enjoy a really easy game

Red Faction: Guerrilla on easy is still a lot of fun. It's actually more fun than on higher difficulties because combat is whatever, but the building destruction is just đź‘Ś

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Challenge is one of the least important aspects judging a video game for me . I appreciate if its there , but i dont care if its not

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Depends on the type of game. If it does other things well and I'm enjoying myself then I don't need a challenge.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I do. I think it's more telling to say that I've played many games that were ruined because they were too easy.

Specifically, those ones with gameplay systems that you don't need to use because they're too easy. If it has the option, you can turn up the difficulty and the gameplay does get better. The balance gets better and you have to use some strategy. But games with no option, I think it's easier for them to be spoiled by being too easy than too hard.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Challenge is generally what I play games for since story is irrelevant to me. I don't always enjoy super hard games, but I do love a good challenge. Death Stranding just recently is actually an example of a game where 80 hours into my playthrough I really regret not starting it on the highest difficulty. There are probably still games I enjoyed just for a fun time though, especially co-op stuff.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I like some challenge in my games, but it's not necessary depending on the genre. I can enjoy a game if everything else makes up for it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Every now and then, last would probably be Pokemon Sword, I usually play Pokemon with Nuzlock rules, but just did a normal playthrough and enjoyed my time, despite it being very easy. I'll usually get bored before finishing in most cases though, unless the game is fairly short.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
It's nice to play games that don't remand your time to "get good" every once in a while. I'm a big fan of VNs and Kirby's Epic Yarn as well. I'd like to like walking sims but the cameras in those usually fuck me right up.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I love both challenging and easy games as long as the game is good and the level of challenge is appropriate for the experience they are going for. No Man's Sky is a great game, but not challenging at all. I love the old Monster Hunter games for the challenge they offered.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Musou games have utterly brain dead AI and close to little challenge, but sometimes I just wanna mow a thousand dudes down.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I do find Super Lucky's Tale a little bit challenging but I also enjoy something like Island Saver that is completely easy.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It dpeends on if the game manages to maintain being engaging despite the lack of challenge. Some games do this well (I would argue Kirby does, though it also has some challenging stuff in the post game), yet I must admit the majority of easy games do not.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
People saying Epic yarn don't have challenge never tried to 100% that game =P

But yeah, i love playing arcade games on emulators with infinite coins xD