• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you donate or volunteer for politicians/causes you support?

• I donate

Votes: 70 31.7%
  • I volunteer

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • I donate and volunteer

Votes: 40 18.1%
  • No I don't donate or volunteer at this time

Votes: 103 46.6%

• Total voters

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Why or why not? Absolute non-judgement zone but curious on getting perspectives.

If you don't now, have you done so in the past or plan to do so in the future?

How did you feel after?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Volunteered for quite a few candidates in the past, have never donated (to a candidate) and not sure I ever will.

Last edited:

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Donated for Bernie. I try to give whatever I'm able to every once in a while. They have a meeting coming up next week here where I live on how they are going to do their volunteering for the campaign. Thinking of going.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I donate to Bernie. and $10 to the Sierra club every month since trump took office, if you consider environmentalism political

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Donated for the first time ever to Bernie last month.

I did some volunteering for a food bank a couple years ago.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Donated to people I knew running, and volunteered on one campaign.

Plan is to do both for the upcoming election.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I make below the poverty line on annual income, I need my money far more then any candidate/cause.
I'll give one day when I'm financially better off.

I'll do what I can to help locally/volunteering.

Dec 2, 2017
I am a member of a party and used to be quite involved in local politics until I moved countries. I don't donate to the party I am a member of except for the annual membership fee.

I volunteer as much as I can for other causes - mostly local organizations. The one big exception is MSF/Doctors without borders. I both donate and volunteer with them. I've been in the field with them for a year and plan to do so again.

In general, I prefer to get involved.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Donated to Bernie. Also donate occasionally to the ACLU, but I'm not sure if you'd call that political.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've donated a few times. Makes me feel like I'm helping, even if it's not in the biggest way.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I do both. I'm privileged and have the time and money, and there are people who need help via a transformation of our political system. I owe it to us/them/everyone.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't and never likely will. My money and time is going to make zero difference. I'll vote but that's all they get (and ultimately, want)

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I donate, usually at the end of the month. Amount varies.
I have volunteered in the past, I hate knocking on doors though. As an introvert, and someone who hates it when someone random knocks on my door on a Saturday morning.
So last year I started writing letters, which you can do from your house and has proven to be somewhat effective. Going to start doing that later this year for November.

Vote Forward

Vote Forward volunteers send heartfelt handwritten letters to unregistered and low-propensity voters encouraging them to participate in our democracy. The letters have been shown to significantly boost voter turnout.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I have only donated oncd in the past and am in no position to do it now. Volunteering is also a tough proposition right now. I don't have any normal hours that I can meet up.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Natta. I acknowledge that I'm a part of the problem when I say I prefer to participate in politics as little as possible.

I still vote and do my research. I believe that's the least anyone should be allowed to do in any country with a democratic process.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Both. Volunteering feels great (especially if you can rope some friends into it with you lol) and gives me a sense of fulfillment that I never get from my 9 to 5 job.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
No. I'm incredibly cynical. I pay my taxes and strongly believe that politicians should just do the damn job that we pay them for, whatever their affiliation. Maybe I'm actually incredibly naive.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I don't and never likely will. My money and time is going to make zero difference. I'll vote but that's all they get (and ultimately, want)

For the smaller local elections volunteering makes a huuuge difference. Especially in non-presidential elections. Otherwise people go to vote and have no idea who some of the down ticket candidates are and either skip or pick at random.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Neither

But I am interested in doing a food bank volunteer though the one I want to go to is the other side of town so timing needs to be good for me to go.

Planning to do so in the future

For political reasons? Nope

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't regularly donate to candidates. I am a social worker by trade, and I also volunteer my time at shelters, non-profits, etc. Probably hundreds of hours a year.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
I'm a volunteer with Kids Help Phone in Canada as a text message crisis counselor.

Quite honestly, I love it, but don't get to go on much anymore because I'm mostly busy with my own dumb mental health 😂

But yeah I mean it's easy, you do the training and your hours from your computer, and the team is ridiculously supportive. It's a great program.

edit: easy as in accessible and the only stress is when you get high risk texter or smth

Nov 1, 2017
I have not donated to political candidates or volunteered for them. I have donated to and volunteered for social justice causes for about almost a decade.

Sometimes I feel really good about it. Sometimes it causes me great aggravation as people you think would be the most receptive show how bigoted/ignorant they. Or they abuse their power in the same way that the people they are supposedly fighting against do to serve their own interests.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
I've donated, phonebanked, and knocked on doors for Obama, Sanders, Clinton, and Doug Jones. One person might not make the difference, but my feelings are more or less reflected by this comic:

votingandbitching.png

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually volunteer before the primary. I do occasionally donate but ever since moving out of my parents place I've had less disposable income so I haven't yet.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been donating to Bernie recently. So yes.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not, but I am this year. I am looking into volunteering with my local or state Democrat committees so I can help drive people to the polls on election day.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The only thing politics will ever see me putting into it is my vote.
Outside of that hell no I don't put any time into helping someone else become richer and more powerful. I already have to do that every day at my job for my boss.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Donated to Doug Jones' campaign, as I was feeling particularly helpless around that time.

I've participated in protests and done a ton of volunteer work but not specifically for a candidate.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I've thought about donating but never actually have. I probably should sometime.
I don't know what volunteering actually entails but I always picture some kind of calling/door-to-door thing and that sounds like a nightmare to a shy person like me, so I've never even looked into it.

I feel kinda guilty that "all" I do is vote.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
I've donated to campaigns in the past, but I've never volunteered.

This year, I will be both donating and volunteering to whoever wins the Democratic nomination.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I donate. Threw bernie some cash. Might even volunteer this summer when he comes my way for his campaign. You know shit is serious when even I am getting my ass out here to help lol

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
First year donating. Donated to Bernie and thinking about volunteering.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
~15 years ago I was active in campaign management and program management for politicians. I worked on two fairly major campaigns, one for a congressman who would win and one for a senator who would win. Now a days I don't have time or interest, and so I primarily just donate.

I've never spent any time working or volunteering on a presidential campaign.

I still work on non-profit causes, but no major political causes.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I donate some, but I'm primarily involved with activist and non-profit organizations because that's where politics begins.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, quite a bit of volunteering, and going back years and years. Just depending on my availability.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in a position to donate. I've never volunteered for anything political in nature. Not at all interested in knocking doors and making phone calls, though I could be swayed to do less interpersonal work if it was available

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I donate and volunteer to other charitable causes with direct and targeted missions, but would probably never directly for a specific political candidate or faction. The former seems like a much more effective, low to the ground use of my time and my money.