• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I'm 20 hours into Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire and I've realized that most of my time so far has been spent in Neketaka the games largest quest hub which is dragging on a bit. Don't get me wrong I'm having fun I just want a little change of scenery. I could always move on and come back later to complete quests that I haven't finished but the problem is that I have this weird obsession with doing everything I can before I move on. I had this same feeling when playing the first Pillars game in Defiance Bay. In the end I ended up doing everything I could before moving forward despite a part of me not wanting to do it. What about you guys? What's your strategy and do you find that you have conflicting ideas about how best to go about quests?

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Noooooope. I do what looks interesting. If it doesn't interest me, I steer clear.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Depends on how much fun I'm having, and if it has auto-generating quests.

But In general I'll finish any authored content before moving on.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and I hate myself for it. It's what killed MGS5 for me. I was 70h deep and only 50% through according to the ingame stat tracker.

The worst thing is it usually breaks balance since you're so resource-rich or overpowered if you do everything in a game with tonnes of side quests.

Oct 29, 2017
Yes and I hate myself for it. It's what killed MGS5 for me. I was 70h deep and only 50% through according to the ingame stat tracker.

The worst thing is it usually breaks balance since you're so resource-rich or overpowered if you do everything in a game with tonnes of side quests.
This is what I'm struggling with in Ghost of Tsushima. Even on hard mode, I am holding back on applying technique points I've unlocked and upgrading my weapons I've found resources for, to prevent the combat from becoming too easy.

Oct 30, 2017
I have to google to see if certain things never end or I fear I'll never stop doing them. The NCPD stuff in Cyberpunk being a prime example. I'm still not sure if it's possible to do them all but I'm guessing not.
Like, what's finite and what's auto/generated?!

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yep. Every damn time.

Dragon Age Inquisition, was stuck in the Hinterlands for hours and hours and hours.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Depends on how much I like the game. Sometimes I do everything, sometimes I skip most things.

Oct 27, 2017
I did and its a hard compulsion to overcome. The only times I don't do it are for games that truly have an overload of meaningless side content. or where its deliberately scaled so its meant to be a thing you come back to post game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
When i can, usually yes
Which doesnt include the Hinterlands but god knows i tried!

OP
OP
Remeran

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

I have so much money now in PoE2 lol. I also have to talk to everyone which sometimes creates awkward encounters where I find a quest give who needs something from me that I've already done by accident or meet someone who I've already met, hah.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Entirely depends how I to the game I am.

Also depends how many there are, how rewarding, what kind of quality they are.

I can play a bunch of low quality fetch style combat quests if I love.rhe combat, for example.

In Xenoblade Chronicles there are just too many, though, so I just grab the ones I see right in front of me and don't go actively looking for others.

In Cyberpunk I cleared the entire map, I found the side quests were actually more appealing then the main questline.

If I am not super into a game and just want to play the story, I'll just ignore them.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
That said, with Neketaka in PoE2 specifically, I think you will enjoy the game more if you venture out to other islands for quests and don't just hammer everything there at once. You'll be coming back plenty.

OP
OP
Remeran

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
That said, with Neketaka in PoE2 specifically, I think you will enjoy the game more if you venture out to other islands for quests and don't just hammer everything there at once. You'll be coming back plenty.
Yeah I keep hearing this might be too late though, haha. I've literally been to every house and through all of the nooks and crannies. I talked to everyone and went through the dungeon. It was only when I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel that I thought man I could have just taken a break and done some outside stuff.

I did read that some quests open up later?

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I stayed in the Hinterlands.

No regrets. I loved it there.

I might have helped that I played Inquisition after Xenoblade, where I did everything I could before moving on, especially the timed quests at
Alcamoth.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
How do you look at an icon on your HUD/Minimap and decide, "You know what? I'm going to purposefully ignore this for the entirety of the game". Maybe it's an issue that I have, but I always check everything. Missing out on something is always something that I'm afraid of

OP
OP
Remeran

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
How do you look at an icon on your HUD/Minimap and decide, "You know what? I'm going to purposefully ignore this for the entirety of the game". Maybe it's an issue that I have, but I always check everything. Missing out on something is always something that I'm afraid of
AC: Valhalla had so many things to do that i actually broke my code and b lined it after a couple of regions.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
It depends on the game/genre.

I typically try to do everything in the initial starting hub. Once I learn the gameplay loop and quest variations I decide which one's I pursue or skip the rest of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
If it's interesting stuff, sure. But it usually isn't, so absolutely fucking not. I move on as soon as I realize I'm doing stupid shit

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
You will die of you don't immediately talk to this npc and solve the story.

*here is 500 missions all over the place that distract from the story. Skip them and you're under powered. Completing too many and you're over powered.

*and don't forget those achievements and trophies

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. And a special HELL NAH for The Witcher 3. I am going through the game again after losing a 200 hour set of saves. There is NO way I'd finish the game in a reasonable amount of time if I did every quest in all the towns. I do the Witcher contracts, Treasure Hunts for Witcher gear, and keep it moving. Once I am done with main story (already finished) and DLC story plots I can think about all the quests I left behind.

On another note. Blood and Wine is some of the best dlc content I have experienced. Its freaking amazing. Heart of Stone was great but this is amazing.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I do what I like or what I run into and call it a day. I very rarely even make attempts at 100%ing games.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on whether I love the gameplay or not.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I usually do everything when the game is new to me, but rarely keep it up for the entire game. There is usually a point where I decide to be more selective, only doing the main missions and side activities I expect to be especially enjoyable. Time-consuming things that aren't much fun are obviously dropped at that point. Trophies and other incentives can sometimes sway me to do a little more that I would have otherwise, but not in a major way.