• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you delete games from your digital store accounts?

• Yes

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 217 78.3%
  • Don't have that option on my platforms/stores of choice

Votes: 24 8.7%

• Total voters

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty often myself utilize that function in Steam.
If I know that I don't want a certain game anymore, I remove it from my account.

I know that I don't get my mony back, and I know that there's a function to hide games.

But still. It's a good feeling to remove clutter, and just get rid of the library entries that you know you just don't want anymore, for various entries.

Do you utilize that function, when it's available for you, as it is with Steam?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
i only ever did it once, with Ion Maiden, as i was out of the refund window(being bought from GMG), and felt that dev team wasn't worth my +1 owner. just a moral decision, really.
besides extreme cases like that, i mostly just hide games, if they become a clutter. i do this a lot with games that offer a separate MP or beta mode, for example.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
No. I see the appeal, and it does sound kinda nice to have a cleaner list of Steam games I actually wanna play, but I don't think I ever would just on the very off chance I'd want to go back to even one of those games.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am having severe deja Vu right now. Did you or someone create a similar thread here or on GAF?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
If I know that I don't want a certain game anymore, I remove it from my account.

I know that I don't get my mony back, and I know that there's a function to hide games.

But still. It's a good feeling to remove clutter, and just get rid of the library entries that you know you just don't want anymore, for various entries.

No

On Steam I just show 'installed' games in my library

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No... why would I do that? Unless I somehow get a really creepy game

I hide demos on my PSN profile, but they are still in my acc.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
You mean delete from harddrive or permanently remove them?
Former yes
later no
I like to keep all of my games just incase if i want to revisit it again with a fresh mind.

Aesthetic

Nov 6, 2017
Texas, USA
I delete from my PC for space but dont remove my access that I paid for. why lose out on something that no one wins from? I get no money back like if I sold or traded in, and someone else doesnt get access to it as if I just gave the game to a friend for free.

if I could gift games over 1 year old to friends I would, but not straight up revoke my rights to it willingly with nothing in return.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't see why you would do that. It's literally throwing your games away. They don't take up any physical space, which is a reason why some people get rid of physical games. I get that it declutters, but on Steam you can hide games like you said, so why not just do that? You keep your games and they get out of your way. Deleting games from your account is just wasting money.

Oct 29, 2017
No, and I don't really get why you would considering that you can just hide it instead. There are any number of reasons you might want to revisit an old game you thought you were done with. Borderlands 2, a seven year old game, got surprise free DLC just this year.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend wants me to delete Dead or Alive 6 she hates that game and was mad I bought it after she saw the jiggle physics and didn't believe that it was a serious fighting game after she googled it and all the search results are from that pervy beach volleyball game.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You mean delete from harddrive or permanently remove them?
Former yes
later no
I like to keep all of my games just incase if i want to revisit it again with a fresh mind.

"Permantly" I mean.
On Steam, you can always get them back if you want to.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Some crap I got back when IGN gave out free games in genres I literally have no interest in.

So, maybe, three games, tops.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see why you would do that. It's literally throwing your games away. They don't take up any physical space, which is a reason why some people get rid of physical games. I get that it declutters, but on Steam you can hide games like you said, so why not just do that?

Hiding the game kinda works, but why not throw the game away, if you know you don't want it? You do it with physical movies, books, and similiar things.
Even if digital takes up no space, why keep it anyway your library, if you know you don't want it anymore?

Oh i didn't know you could get them back, but i don't see much of a point in using it unless it's like a super creepy perv game or something.

The latest games I removed was Borderlands 2 and Saint's Row 3, games I disliked so much that I saw no purpose with keeping them attached to my account, when I had the option to delete them.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Hiding the game kinda works, but why not throw the game away, if you know you don't want it? You do it with physical movies, books, and similiar things.
Even if digital takes up no space, why keep it anyway your library, if you know you don't want it anymore?

I never throwed movies or books away lol, if I don't want them, I give it to someone.

Sadly we can't do that with digital games (yet)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
nah. only scenario i could see that being useful is if i had a 500+ library of completely useless shit.

but i guess that's a reality for some

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
nah. I consign stuff I don't care about to its own steam category and just leave the thing minimized.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just hide uninstalled games. It seems a little drastic to remove it from the library unless the dev did something very immoral.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Back when I'd buy bundles of games I didn't really want out of impulse or because I wanted a single game out of them, I would do this to games I was 100% certain I would never want to play. But I learned to be better with my purchases and I don't need to do that anymore.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Imagine throwing video games in the trash. What the fuck

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There's only one garbage game I own called 'GearCrack Arena' that for some reason got steam trading cards, and three of those were worth more than I bought it for, so i made like ten cents by buying it.

That's pretty much the only game I'd delete, it's served its purpose.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I can do this on psn or switch, or else a lot of ps+ games would get thrown out

Imagine throwing video games in the trash. What the fuck
It's an amazing feeling. I just threw out my Wii U copy of TMS#FE the other day when the switch version was announced. Just throw em out.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
"Permantly" I mean.

If you can get them back, then it's not permanent. So yeah, that's totally fine. I like a clean account too.

It's an amazing feeling. I just threw out my Wii U copy of TMS#FE the other day when the switch version was announced. Just throw em out.

I once disliked a book so much that I ripped it into little pieces. Just totally tore it apart.

To be clear, this wasn't out of anger or anything, I just thought it'd be fun to do, and the book I'd been reading was bad enough that it was the perfect victim for my spontaneous impulse.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's like, throwing money out of the window. It's not like you throw your retail games into the trash when you're done lol

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019

What? Why? Just ignore it...

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I don't think the Switch eShop has that option (aside from deleting your account entirely?), so no. I have deleted games from my memory card in an effort to clear space, though.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
I usually do this when I get a remastered version, recently happened with Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition since I got the new version. What bothers me is that on PS4 you can't delete games from the trophy list if you get 1% or more.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I do. It's not permanent on Steam anyway, but even if it was I wouldn't regret throwing out the games I did. No need to have games I have no interest in clutter up my library. I don't see a point to having a high number of owned game on my profile or whatever else could be the reason for keeping the games in there.
A couple of times I brought some games back from "deletion" because they would make a "complete your collection" kind of bundle cheaper. Then I deleted them again!

The hidden option is something I use for games that I might wanna play later, but maybe won't get to. I like my visible library to be the games I care about the most.

That's like, throwing money out of the window. It's not like you throw your retail games into the trash when you're done lol
I can sell or give away the physical stuff I don't want it, so of course I do that. I can't do that on Steam so into the trash they go.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I hide them on Steam.
'Deleting' them from the library feels like throwing away money.
There are a number of games I have hidden and eventually decided to play them. And there are other benefits like randomly getting discounts/vouchers for other games from the same developer or publisher.
If digital reselling/trading/gifting eventually becomes a thing, they'll have some worth even if I never want to play them again myself. I admit this sounds a bit like "hoarder" mentality, but hidden games take up zero space and I never see them again unless I seek them out.

The only downside is that sharing the library does not retain the "hidden" status for these games, and some of Valve's new recommendation algorithms do not seem to ignore hidden games.
"Permantly" I mean.
Valve have said that you may be able to recover removed games if requested close enough to their removal from your account, but cannot guarantee it.

You throw these things away rather than giving away, selling, or donating them?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I put some in the hidden category on Steam if I think I'll never want to touch it again. But maybe I could change my mind or someone I know may want to play it. See no need to permanently delete.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Bundle games that I activated just to farm cards to sell, as well as ones that I figured I might be interested in at some point but decided I'd never get to them. Was more of a problem years ago when bundles were everywhere and I was buying like three $1 bundles a week. These days if I'm not convinced I'll ever play something I just give it away, and I rarely buy bundles anymore in the first place.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You throw these things away rather than giving away, selling, or donating them?

When there's no in selling, and there's no one who wants them, yes.

I have a friend who runs a flea market, but he doesn't want books or old movies, because they don't sell much, and aren't worth the space for me.

If the recepient doesn't really want what you're giving away, then you're just moving the problem, letting them take up space there instead of at your place.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have but only a few times. If it's something I'm 100% sure I'm never going to play, like a very questionable VN that I got in a bundle (not knocking VN's, there are many incredible ones), or an MMO or online game that is no longer supported and I would never be interested in a private server.

Aug 10, 2019
After I finish a game I usually give myself a week or two and then ask myself a question...

"Will I ever play this again?"

Most games end up hidden.

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
Why would you not just hide the games? I see no advantages in permanently removing games from the library when that option exists.