• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming is one of my absolute favorite hobbies and the way I interact the most with my friends (not including people I work with).

But "hardcore" is such a ridiculous term. If you asked me in 2005, I would have happily said yes. But no, not this decade.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought this division was good.

Hardcore - Spends most of their free time & money on videogames
Midcore - Spends time & money on videogames but has other hobbies/responsibilities
Casual - Just plays games as a distraction
Spectator - Enjoys watching others game but doesn't play much themselves

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

I consider myself a hardcore enthusiast as I follow the industry so closely.

Hardcore gamer though? LOL.

I don't even like Doritos or Mt. Dew.

Nov 18, 2018
I spend a lot of time playing games but I mostly play mainstream games on easy so I don't consider myself hardcore. I'm more of an enthusiastic gamer I guess.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure I guess. I somehow found my way to this forum so I think I care about games in general more than most.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I spent about 55 hours playing games over the last two weeks, so by most metrics probably. I'm in favor of letting pretty much anyone who plays games call themselves a gamer though.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I would hazard a guess that most of the people who refer to themselves as hardcore gamers are less serious about games overall than those who frequent a somewhat serious forum like Era.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've learned that no matter how hardcore I think I am, there is always somebody more hardcore than me to make me feel like a pipsqueak in kindergarten.

I would say I play my games seriously. But I am nothing compared to the PVP hounds, or the speedrunners, or the people who play the same game for 700 hours and understand it on a level I cannot fathom. Those people are definitely hardcore to me. Compared to those people I am casual as heck.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've learned that no matter how hardcore I think I am, there is always somebody more hardcore than me to make me feel like a pipsqueak in kindergarten.

I would say I play my games seriously. But I am nothing compared to the PVP hounds, or the speedrunners, or the people who play the same game for 700 hours and understand it on a level I cannot fathom. Those people are definitely hardcore to me. Compared to those people I am casual as heck.

LOL, this is so me.

I put like 250 hours into Crusader Kings II and I still don't feel like I know s**t at times.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Like I implied in another thread, I've never been able to get all the secret bonus points in Dynamite Headdy without resorting to savestate abuse.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess so, at least as far as my spending habits are concerned.

Now, do I actually play over 20% of the shit that I buy? That's a question for a different thread.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure most people that know me well enough to know my gaming habits would consider me a hardcore gamer. I would probably say it depend on the games. Some games I play casually, and others I play like a hardcore gamer

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
I think the 'hardcore gamer' denomination is outdated. Videogames have evolved since the casual vs hardcore days.

As for me, my core is hard like a diamond wrapped in graphite in a kevlar enclosure trapped in a haunted ironman armor... but I suck at games. I play as many as I can though.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Yes, because otherwise, how would I build my identity?

That and I've been crushing Mario games since I was in diapers.

I stopped wearing diapers at a young age in the early 90's yall. Dont hate.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Depends on how you define 'hardcore'.

I definately don't play dozens of games a year like some people do but I still consider gaming my main hobby and follow the industry very closely. I'm also starting to collect games, consoles, memorabilia etc. So I guess I would probably be considered 'hardcore' by most people.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
"Hardcore gamer" is so lame. There are so many different people that play games in so many different ways.

I tell people I enjoy video games, and I like to learn about the industry and how games are put together.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I can beat NES games, sometimes without dying like Ninja Gaiden, so yeah I'm a hardcore gamer.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm casually hardcore. I play the right games to be seen as hardcore, but I play them fairly casually, in that I finish them and move on, I don't really get stuck on any game and become an expert. I'm a bit of a red mage if you will.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Halo Reach on the hardest difficulty. What does that make of me?

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
When I look at my actual gaming habits I'm realize I'm very much a hardcore gamer. No I don't have a problem with being called a gamer. Like the past 2 weeks I've been playing FFXIV shadowbringers expansion nonstop except to work, sleep and watch some anime.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Based on what do you define a hardcore gamer?
Hours played by day? # of games possesed? # consoles owned? online K/D ratios? trophies earned? games finished?

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Midcore - Spends time & money on videogames but has other hobbies/responsibilities

The names enthusiast and fan sound more appropriate here, to replace the first two. The term hardcore is associated with player skill, like you can play Wii Sports casually, but you can also play it in a hardcore manner if you are say going for the world record in one of the minigames. As such, the game itself isn't casual or hardcore, but the manner in which you're playing it in decides if you are hardcore. Playing the game like that doesn't elevate your status to hardcore in an absolute sense, it's just that at this moment in time, you chose to play this particular game in a hardcore fashion. In some other context you might play a game like Mario casually, where all you do is beat the levels normally without aiming to grab all the collectibles, finding all the secrets, or to optimize your gameplay for speedrunning. If you play Overwatch hardcore then you participate in the meta, choose competitive heroes, etc. whereas a casual player would do whatever. So neither the game nor the person can be categorized as casual or hardcore in an absolute sense, it's rather the manner in which you are playing at a certain point in time.

Defined this way, I would say that I'm hardcore most of the time. For example I played Splatoon 2 last summer and I got 100% completion on the original campaign and the octo expansion, got to profreshional rank in the Salmon Run mode, and made it to X-player in all four competitive modes within a period of 2-3 weeks or so. Another example is Celeste, where I beat the game, found all strawberries, beat all b-sides and all c-sides, within 8k deaths. I did this completely blind, never having watched any streams of the game or consulted any guides.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

This is pretty decent, actually. Where is this from?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

I'm in the Hardcore camp!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
No, but I don't want easy modes in games that have "intended" difficulty levels, that's all I can say on that front.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Not anymore. I'm super casual these days, but I still enjoy challenges. I think the Dark Souls series is what I would consider hard but not hardcore.

I tend to enjoy games to be on the easier side if anything.