• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you consider the Xbox Series S a genius move from Microsoft?

• Yes and it was planned.

Votes: 296 18.7%
  • Yes but it wasn´t planned.

Votes: 850 53.6%
  • No it isn´t.

Votes: 439 27.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
The Series S is underperforming in a lot of games.

You have to add more context though :p.
If you said, it's underperforming in terms of the initial advertised target that the Xbox Series S would be the machine on which you could enjoy your games at 1440p and up to 120fps, then yeah, Microsoft has underestimated how much the GPU bottleneck of the Xbox series S would be and since then most adverts indicate it as a 1080p 60fps box.
However, there are some feature-set parities that should accommodate the same technologies on the Xbox series X, as to how much that will turn out to be in terms of fidelity and performance depends on the game and devs. So the assertion of how much it messes up the Xbox series X platform, is somewhat equivalent as to how an RTX 3050 impacts an RTX 3080 as you make in your comparison.
Nonetheless, considering the price-target and low-cost of entry, it is appealing to a much larger audience and depending on their expectations it's a good move.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You have to add more context though :p.
If you said, it's underperforming in terms of the initial advertised target that the Xbox Series S would be the machine on which you could enjoy your games at 1440p and up to 120fps, then yeah, Microsoft has underestimated how much the GPU bottleneck of the Xbox series S would be and since then most adverts indicate it as a 1080p 60fps box.
However, there are some feature-set parities that should accommodate the same technologies on the Xbox series X, as to how much that will turn out to be in terms of fidelity and performance depends on the game and devs. So the assertion of how much it messes up the Xbox series X platform, is somewhat equivalent as to how an RTX 3050 impacts an RTX 3080 as you make in your comparison.
Nonetheless, considering the price-target and low-cost of entry, it is appealing to a much larger audience and depending on their expectations it's a good move.
Indeed. You could also say series x and PS5 are 'underperforming' if you look at it in a simple way. As both don't hit 4k on a regular basis.

Oct 25, 2017
Dying Light 2 got a 60fps Performance mode added to it on Series S just this week.

It's 1080p/60 on PS5/Series X and 900p/60fps on Series S

That's pretty impressive.

I think the S is a great move. Most people don't care about 4k or need to juggle like 5 different games at the same time. I own an X myself, but for most people I recommend the S over the X and PS5 disc/DE. They save money and can pick up a few years of GPU instead.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
It must be a manufacturing loophole
It's not though - the narrative that S is enabling some massive boost to general console availability has been nonsense for entire 2021.
While noone has shared actual numbers - the most optimistic narrative suggests S selling close to 1:1 with X. Which - if we assume this 1:1 split, is outsold by the PS5 3.5-4:1.
So while - optimistically speaking - S doubles availability for Series consoles - it's still only a small fraction of what PS ships, and at best a tiny fraction of all console shipments in 2021.

It's possible 2022 will tell a different story, but people have been parroting this 'genius availability boost' for last 6 months (at least), and that just hasn't materialized - yet.
To your point though - it is true that S is the only current gen console that can be found in stores physically, so even with relatively low-shipment numbers overall, it stays on shelves long enough, indicating pretty clearly that the demand is substantially different between the different SKUs.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I do think it's a brilliant concept. Not everyone gives a shit about 4k or the best graphics, they just want to play the latest games.

However execution was somewhat lacking. They shouldn't have cheated out on memory, even just a couple of more gigs would have helped a ton.

And of course they didn't plan for component shortages and Covid, that's ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not though - the narrative that S is enabling some massive boost to general console availability has been nonsense for entire 2021.
While noone has shared actual numbers - the most optimistic narrative suggests S selling close to 1:1 with X. Which - if we assume this 1:1 split, is outsold by the PS5 3.5-4:1.
So while - optimistically speaking - S doubles availability for Series consoles - it's still only a small fraction of what PS ships, and at best a tiny fraction of all console shipments in 2021.

You're just making numbers.

However execution was somewhat lacking. They shouldn't have cheated out on memory, even just a couple of more gigs would have helped a ton.

Helped a ton with what? So far the S seems to be generally performing fine. More RAM is always better, but it isn't exactly a dire situation.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
You're just making numbers.

Helped a ton with what? So far the S seems to be generally performing fine. More RAM is always better, but it isn't exactly a dire situation.
Of course it's fine now, because all games are cross gen. Ram amount can definitely impact game design, and it's much harder to scale than gpu.

Check out DFs interview with the flight sim devs.

Feb 20, 2022
I got one for my niece and nephew and pay for GamePass given they keep up their grades.

The little gaming machine is quite potent and balances well with the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's fine now, because all games are cross gen. Ram amount can definitely impact game design, and it's much harder to scale than gpu.

Check out DFs interview with the flight sim devs.

DF gave the S version of flight sim an excellent review?

Series S is intriguing because Flight Simulator is a beast on PC, so the concept is getting it to run and look good on a four teraflop GPU paired with only 8GB of accessible memory is an extreme challenge. Resolution is therefore cut to 1080p, with no kind of reconstruction. It's native 1080p, with 1080p UI but just like Series X, there is no sign of dynamic resolution scaling. However, there is the sense that Series S is compromised in other respects beyond the pixel count and level of detail is the main casualty - draw distance is pulled in (to my eye, more equivalent to PC's medium setting) and while terrain generally looks fine, it's the cities that suffer most. Not only is the draw distance pared back, closer detail seems to show lower fidelity models streaming in. It still looks good judged by its own terms, but clearly there was some hard work needed here to get this to work.

There's an interesting balance between Series consoles then: the X leans into image reconstruction at the expense of core resolution, freeing up GPU resources to double down on detail. For Series S, detail is pared back (perhaps necessary bearing in mind the memory constraints) but it looks like a full 1080p presentation. In my view, Asobo has made wise choices to get the best Flight Simulator experience out of each of the machines - but this does lead to an interesting disparity that actually favours the junior Xbox. To put it simply, Flight Simulator runs more smoothly on Xbox Series S.

Link: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ch-review-a-brilliant-port-to-xbox-series-x-s

The performance seems totally reasonable.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
DF gave the S version of flight sim an excellent review?

Link: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ch-review-a-brilliant-port-to-xbox-series-x-s

The performance seems totally reasonable.
Talking about this interview l.

m.youtube.com

Inside Microsoft Flight Simulator - Xbox Ports, Performance, PC Optimisations - The Asobo Breakdown!

One of the most demanding PC games ever hasn't just been ported to Xbox Series consoles - it's also received massive improvements and optimisation on PC too....

Edit: more ram would have helped a ton with having closer parity to the series x at lower resolutions was what I meant.

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about this interview l.

m.youtube.com

Inside Microsoft Flight Simulator - Xbox Ports, Performance, PC Optimisations - The Asobo Breakdown!

One of the most demanding PC games ever hasn't just been ported to Xbox Series consoles - it's also received massive improvements and optimisation on PC too....

I'm talking about the actual game performance on flight sim, which was the concern in your post. You also seem to be concerned about dedicated current gen games, which flight sim is. Well, we have an example (that you used) where the game performance in this scenario is good. If the S was huge a problem for the flight sim devs they wouldn't have gotten the performance they did. We just need to look at the results.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is maybe less popular here then it used to be only since most of the Nintendo faithful left.
It's noticeable which is a shame. This place is mostly made of fans and so I am not surprised at high levels of ignorance but personally I am always interested in a wider variety of topics and impressions. I like seeing topics about weird or less popular games. It's the main benefit of a forum. I don't need to browse the site to get an opinion on a first party Sony game.

Just in this thread you have people disparaging the S hardware. I am sure they probably think lower power or middle range PC hardware (which makes up the majority of the market) is garbage but you can't expect people who live in weird bubbles to start showing any nuance outside of that bubble .

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about the actual game performance on flight sim, which was the concern in your post. You also seem to be concerned about dedicated current gen games, which flight sim is. Well, we have an example (that you used) where the game performance in this scenario is good. If the S was huge a problem for the flight sim devs they wouldn't have gotten the performance they did. We just need to look at the results.
Took a ton of effort to get it there, and it runs medium settings on the series s and high/ultra on series X. MS promise with the Series S was the same experience at a lower res. Clearly, the series s is not that.

I did not say that it sucked or anything. I said it was somewhat lacking, and more ram would have helped a lot in getting it closer to that original vision (a series x at lower res). 7.5 gb of usable ram is not much to work with.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
pretty much. it struggles to play new games at 60 fps (like dying light 2), which is the whole reason for new gen consoles imo
Last gen tech is an ignorant statement, and bad faith arguments.

XBO/PS4 CPUs are basically broken cars compared to the Zen2+ CPUs in the Series S. How Zen2 trounces the Jaguar cores is a bloodbath that is not even a joke.

And then we have the SSD, where last gen it was basically SATA 2 max.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
It's noticeable which is a shame. This place is mostly made of fans and so I am not surprised at high levels of ignorance but personally I am always interested in a wider variety of topics and impressions. I like seeing topics about weird or less popular games. It's the main benefit of a forum. I don't need to browse the site to get an opinion on a first party Sony game.

Just in this thread you have people disparaging the S hardware. I am sure they probably think lower power or middle range PC hardware (which makes up the majority of the market) is garbage but you can't expect people who live in weird bubbles to start showing any nuance outside of that bubble .
I like to call it the era bubble. It's the 1% of opinions as they are mostly enthusiasts. People purchasing the Series S just need it to play games. It doesn't need the "best" performance and graphics

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I think the series s was not a great move and will hold some current gen only games back.

Been awhile since I've seen this.

You know you code for the platform that has the highest specs, right? Then you begin to code down from there to make sure you can get the performance right with as little sacrifice as you can. That work is only done on the S. By that time, X performance and playability would be set.

There is no gimping here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I like to call it the era bubble. It's the 1% of opinions as they are mostly enthusiasts. People purchasing the Series S just need it to play games. It doesn't need the "best" performance and graphics
That's true but bubbles are boring for people that are not in them and if they get too extreme that will probably be the death of this place.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Always think it's unfair people latch on the resolution thing with series s. It does also games at 4k. But then nobody says anything. Or PS5 and Series X most of the time not hitting 4k also as advertised. Or 8k Wich even says on the box. But if series s doesnt hit 1440p for a game it's Ms lied etc.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Always think it's unfair people latch on the resolution thing with series s. It does also games at 4k. But then nobody says anything. Or PS5 and Series X most of the time not hitting 4k also as advertised. Or 8k Wich even says on the box. But if series s doesnt hit 1440p for a game it's Ms lied etc.

It still boggles my mind that people complaining seem to forget this fucking thing is $299.

I mean.. WHAT DO YOU WANT THIS THING TO DO AT THAT PRICE POINT?

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
No, it's going to bite them in the ass a year or two from now when cross gen titles stop being a thing

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I own a 4K TV, but I don't sit close enough to it for native 4K to matter that much.
I bought a Series S last year, thinking it'd hold me over until the Series X / PS5 were more readily available, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep it as my main console for this generation. It's great at what it does. It's easy to buy. It's £250.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I own a 4K TV, but I don't sit close enough to it for native 4K to matter that much.
Yeah this point is funny to me because it's so true for so many people. If I had to guess, most people especially in US probably don't have big enough 4K TVs to notice it from their viewing distance. I say US because bigger houses with bigger rooms put people on the opposite side of the room from their 55 inch TV. Series S is a good system for most people and that's all it has to be.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
It's just a lucky coincidence for MS. If series X was more available, series S wouldn't have sold as much as it did . Being cheap with no series X in sight and with GP made it a winning combination.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
No, it's going to bite them in the ass a year or two from now when cross gen titles stop being a thing
Wouldn't it be the opposite? Series S sales are probably going to skyrocket when cross gen titles stop being a thing. It's what the Series S was created for, it's why Redfall and Starfield can go current gen exclusive while other publishers are having to make cross gen games still.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I picked the second option, but my reaction is, ehhh…… it's great that we have it in store shelves, but I don't think it's particularly popular as far as next gen systems go. I think it's too early to call.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I picked the second option, but my reaction is, ehhh…… it's great that we have it in store shelves, but I don't think it's particularly popular as far as next gen systems go. I think it's too early to call.
It was the best selling current gen console on Amazon for 2021 and is still up there for 2022... by a lot. Also, so far in 2022 it's making Xbox the best current gen system in unit sales in the UK and US.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was the best selling current gen console on Amazon for 2021 and is still up there for 2022... by a lot. Also, so far in 2022 it's making Xbox the best current gen system in unit sales in the UK and US.

Do you have a source for that? I haven't seen a thread and it's not showing up in best selling on Amazon for me.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Do you have a source for that? I haven't seen a thread and it's not showing up in best selling on Amazon for me.
Part 1:

Amazon.com Best Sellers of 2021 in Video Games

Discover Amazon’s Top 100 best-selling products in 2012, 2011, 2010 and beyond. View the Top 100 best sellers for each year, in Amazon Books, Kindle Books, Music, MP3 Songs and Video Games. Browse Amazon’s “Best of 2012 (So Far)” list to find the most popular products throughout the year based...
t21hJEr.jpg

GPTlfmW.jpg

aHlzBpL.jpg

Part 2, the fact that PS5 is leading in revenue but Xbox is ahead of it in unit sales means that the cheaper Series S is the one doing a lot of the heavy lifting:

I'm not saying the other consoles aren't supply constrained, they absolutely are and might even be selling better than the Series S if they weren't. However, this assumption that the Series S is not or won't be popular is just wrong.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Stop gaslighting phantom people you are fabricating to push a narrative, unless you can point out specific people displaying such an attitude.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took a ton of effort to get it there, and it runs medium settings on the series s and high/ultra on series X. MS promise with the Series S was the same experience at a lower res. Clearly, the series s is not that.

I did not say that it sucked or anything. I said it was somewhat lacking, and more ram would have helped a lot in getting it closer to that original vision (a series x at lower res). 7.5 gb of usable ram is not much to work with.
It's not lacking for a $299 console. Trade-off had to be made to get to that price point and the audience it's aimed for won't really get hung up on DF diffs. Good luck finding £299 machine that runs Matrix demo like Series S. It's a fantastic little machine.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
My personal opinion is digital consoles are nothing but e-waste. They have zero value on the used market since you can't carry games with you.
Weird take. My entire game collection is available wherever I log in. I carry all of my games with me by just remembering an email and password. What seems wasteful is having to fill my living room with a bunch of garish plastic boxes for what's effectively just physical DRM - games won't run from discs, and because of updates it's not like you're gonna run whatever's on that disc anyways.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Stop gaslighting phantom people you are fabricating to push a narrative, unless you can point out specific people displaying such an attitude.
maybe I'm misunderstanding but there are people in this thread that are disparaging the hardware… including one on this page saying it will bite MS when cross gen stops.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Bite them in the ass how?
having to accommodate for titles for a system with weaker hardware, this was an issue for the base xbone with gen 8 but the gap in power is even larger here

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Series S sales are probably going to skyrocket when cross gen titles stop being a thing. It's what the Series S was created for, it's why Redfall and Starfield can go current gen exclusive while other publishers are having to make cross gen games still.
why would they skyrocket? The series S is stable now due to being able to run games made for ps4/xbone but that won't be the case moving forward. Other publishers will stop cross gen titles soon (with the exception of a few titles that still get previous gen releases e.g. just dance)

Laughs in Low End PCs

You haven't looked at the Steam hardware charts, have you?
what's considered a low end PC will be more power than the series S in a few years. Hell I'd say there are low end PCs that are stronger than the series S right now, although I did just take a look at the hardware charts and very few PCs are as weak or weaker than the series S