• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you consider the Xbox Series S a genius move from Microsoft?

• Yes and it was planned.

Votes: 296 18.7%
  • Yes but it wasn´t planned.

Votes: 850 53.6%
  • No it isn´t.

Votes: 439 27.7%

• Total voters

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I don't like that it uses such drastically different hardware. I personally think it fucks up Xbox development. I think a lot of the issues series X ports have had compared to ps5 is directly caused by having to focus on series s. My personal opinion is digital consoles are nothing but e-waste. They have zero value on the used market since you can't carry games with you.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Based on how relatively easy it is right now to acquire one, for many people I reckon it's going to end up being a 'I'll grab this for the next few years then trade up to the series X whenever that's readily available' purchase. At least I'm personally considering going that route and hey, by 2024 there may be some kind of refreshed series X hardware out by then( or at least the current stock issue has been resolved? Fools hope? I'm past the point of predicting tomorrow). I hope over the next year they release a version with storage equal to the series X( or at least more than 512GB), because by the time you add the Seagate SSD, you're basically at series X level pricing.

I'll probably grab one and never upgrade.

When i comes to MS first party, The Series S is perfectly positioned to be "good enough" for what I'll ask of it.

If I need the sort of performance that can only be achieved locally, I'll play on Series S. Otherwise I'll stream via Gamepass.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I would argue the series x id the best designed and functioning console I have ever owned - Andi have had nearly all of them since the NES

The transition from the Xbox one was also totally seamless.

It should be a blueprint on how to release a new generation of console

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Thats not drastically different hardware. Just lower spec of the same hardware.
If by saying it's the same hardware, then a 3050 GPU is the same hardware as a 3080. It's based on the same platform, but the hardware is completely different.

And what I meant, really was spec being drastically different. The Series S is underperforming in a lot of games.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I don't like that it uses such drastically different hardware. I personally think it fucks up Xbox development. I think a lot of the issues series X ports have had compared to ps5 is directly caused by having to focus on series s. My personal opinion is digital consoles are nothing but e-waste. They have zero value on the used market since you can't carry games with you.
I am actually impressed by this post; nearly every sentence is factually wrong.

*edit*

scratch the "nearly", We batting 1000 here chief 🤣

Oct 30, 2017
It must be a manufacturing loophole, because it has always been available here (Switzerland) since its launch and even slashing the price by 25% (MediaMarkt) to roughly $220 hasn't depleted stock...

Either that or nobody wants the thing.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's actually really impressive how well it's doing considering there are so few next-gen only games to really push the console to casuals. The end of this year is when it should really start to pick up steam.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did do it, just not in the exact same fashion or order.

If this was the start of last gen you would be correct, this would be a big step outside the norms. Last gen, however, came the Pro and X consoles.

Between the Pro, X and Switch docked/undocked developers are used to developing to varying levels of hardware of the same console family.

Yes it is not just a different size HDD/SSD or a removal of an optical drive but it also isn't that big of a leap when coming off last gen.
Mid gen upgrades, while novel in and of themselves, are not at all the same as launching with two completely separate models at launch. Again, if it were the same Sony would've done it as well.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Think about it, if they (digital) have zero value nobody would be buying it. Speaking of e-waste, think of all the landfill waste by having physical copies you don't need, people just transfer them to the SSD anyways, nobody plays off of disks anymore.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I managed to get a Series X a week ago from yesterday but I'm afraid to open it. Copy of Elden Ring just sitting there, too. Idk why I can't bring myself to open it.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We know why they made it. They told DF two years ago it was because they did not believe it would ever be possible to reduce to price of the Series X to $300.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
We know why they made it. They told DF two years ago it was because they did not believe it would ever be possible to reduce to price of the Series X to $300.
They are right unfortunately.

SoC prices used to be a big part that allowed that drop, but this time they designed it using the bleeding edge process at the time, and the next smaller size is really expensive to use, nevermind the fact that it's pretty much monopolized by Apple.

Going from (TSMC PR) 7nm to 4nm or 3nm isn't going to give a 50% increase in yield. More like 25%, maybe 30% with optimized layouts.

Series X at 399 would be a loss with every console for years.

Supply constraints made it even more difficult to lower manufacturing prices. If anything, they seem to be going up.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I doubt it was designed with the shortage in mind but I do believe they knew a smaller chip would yield more and they were aiming for it to be the best seller soon after Series X.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it was a "genius" move or how much foresight they had over the current shortages.. but I do think the Series S was a phenomenal idea more generally.

As is often the case on the internet, a lot of the people moaning about the Series S are folks who can't fathom anything that doesn't directly work for them.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
open the damn thing..set up that tower o power
Your profile picture is very close to convincing me. I trust you. Is it actually that strong? I have done zero research which is why I think I'm not comfortable. I've been on a huge retro kick lately and I haven't paid too much attention to modern games since Monster Hunter Rise, really.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was a cool idea, probably just price over shortages or stuff like that. I do hope it has legs and next gen games built on newer techniques give it a little boost.

Being so small, compact, power efficiency etc. Amazing little thing right for many people and opens a lot of doors. Smart play by Xbox team.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Your profile picture is very close to convincing me. I trust you. Is it actually that strong? I have done zero research which is why I think I'm not comfortable. I've been on a huge retro kick lately and I haven't paid too much attention to modern games since Monster Hunter Rise, really.
You can install retroarch on it too 👀

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft had no foresight about supply chain shortages. But the series S is actually available to buy almost everywhere now. So the big benefit of having the only console in constant stock is being able to sell more of them.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If by saying it's the same hardware, then a 3050 GPU is the same hardware as a 3080. It's based on the same platform, but the hardware is completely different.

And what I meant, really was spec being drastically different. The Series S is underperforming in a lot of games.
The Series S is about the power of a 5500 XT but you aren't going to get anywhere pointing out the realities of how hard next-gen exclusives are going to hit such a GPU. Just let them find out.

1080p doesn't require half the GPU of 4K.

1080p is 25% pixel count of 4K.
This would be more relevant a technical perspective if the Series X was running games at native 4K, but it's not doing that.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I think it was a good move by MS, considering there are still a market for those who just want a cheap console and dont really care about 4K and whatnot. Calling it a genius move might be tad bit hyperbolic, but it seems to be working out for them so far. It remains to be seen how well it will run newer releases well into this gen of course. On the other hand there are people playing Elden Ring on original Xbox One without caring about that performance 🤷‍♂️

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I do not think their strategic justification for the the Series S included downside protection for global components shortages across the entire economy.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The Series S is about the power of a 5500 XT but you aren't going to get anywhere pointing out the realities of how hard next-gen exclusives are going to hit such a GPU. Just let them find out.

This would be more relevant a technical perspective if the Series X was running games at native 4K, but it's not doing that.

Upscaling to 1080p is a thing… just like upscaling to 4K.

I think people keep forgetting that the device is literally for people who want the next gen gameplay, but for their $ are less concerned about the visuals.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I like the Series S but it's not really a genius move to basically keep the fundamentals of what's worked in the past, which is a lower price point for consumers. I think it was likely well designed to be efficient from a manufacturing perspective, but that would have been beneficial regardless of a chip shortage that they definitely couldn't have foreseen. If anything was genius, it was making it so small! It being cute was a non-negligible reason for why I bought one despite having a Series X.

When it was announced, I liked the idea but wasn't sure if it was a great value proposition compared to a PS5 DE at 399, but after buying that version of the PS5 and realizing how much more expensive it is to game over there, and how massive the machine is, I fully came around. I am not sure if they got the specs exactly right (the memory speed seems like it could be a bottleneck) but I'm keeping an open mind while we get through this cross-gen period.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Upscaling to 1080p is a thing… just like upscaling to 4K.

I think people keep forgetting that the device is literally for people who want the next gen gameplay, but for their $ are less concerned about the visuals.
Discussing the technical merits and prospects of a console is a conversation which is completely divorced from why Microsoft created it, and to whom it is marketed.

People on this enthusiast forum constantly dropping the assertion than the difference in GPU between XSS and XSX is simply dropping resolution deserves pushback to dissolve the misinformation. Even if it's unintentional, it's still blatantly false.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Yes, they predicted the pandemic, Evergrande and the war, and they chose to use the information to design an entry level console instead of warning us!!!

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Also big splash. Starfield need to run great on it. And Starfield needs to be good offcourse. If then Series X is still hard to get. I see alot of people just opting for Series S just to play it.
I'm sure Microsoft will ensure all their first party games run well on the SeS. Hell, Forza Horizon 5 still runs decently on an original Xbox One.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They didnt know covid and the chip shortage were coming, but they did know it was much easier to manufacture compared to Series X.

Tigerfish419

Banned
Oct 28, 2021
If by saying it's the same hardware, then a 3050 GPU is the same hardware as a 3080

Heads up they are the same, they're both based off the Ampere architecture. The 3050 is just less capable in every way.

I don't like that it uses such drastically different hardware. I personally think it fucks up Xbox development.

Guess what, Xbox games are all hitting PC so in theory PC is the actual bottleneck so you didn't even get that right.