• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you consider the Xbox Series S a genius move from Microsoft?

• Yes and it was planned.

Votes: 296 18.7%
  • Yes but it wasn´t planned.

Votes: 850 53.6%
  • No it isn´t.

Votes: 439 27.7%

• Total voters

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
It got a few people I know into gaming who otherwise wouldn't have. The Series S plus Game Pass is a hell of a deal.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Is era the only place that love Series S? Plenty of them used on Amazon warehouse from $220-$260. It's just last Gen tech that plays current Gen games
Plenty of them used on Amazon warehouse for $220-260? Do you have a link for that because that's a kickass deal?

Considering that the Series S is currently selling the most units out of any current gen system it seems like enough people "love" them. It was also the highest listed current gen system on Amazon's best seller in 2021 and so far in 2022 it's the highest listed one as well.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Based on how relatively easy it is right now to acquire one, for many people I reckon it's going to end up being a 'I'll grab this for the next few years then trade up to the series X whenever that's readily available' purchase. At least I'm personally considering going that route and hey, by 2024 there may be some kind of refreshed series X hardware out by then( or at least the current stock issue has been resolved? Fools hope? I'm past the point of predicting tomorrow). I hope over the next year they release a version with storage equal to the series X( or at least more than 512GB), because by the time you add the Seagate SSD, you're basically at series X level pricing.

Last edited:

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
I was gonna say the opposite, Era is the only place I see people who shit on the Series S for existing.
I like mine and its the only console i have currently but extra storage and disc drive alone worth getting Series X over it
And if you already have One X i don't think it's worth upgrading if it was your only choice

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How does anyone think this was planned? Hardware takes YEARS of R&D to pull off. The Series S & X consoles were both probably in active development since 2016 I'd guess.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Is era the only place that love Series S? Plenty of them used on Amazon warehouse from $220-$260. It's just last Gen tech that plays current Gen games
It's the second best-selling console behind the Switch in many places. I'm not sure what you mean by this. You do know that the SS is capable of RT with GDDR6 memory and has an SSD right? That's not "last-gen tech."

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Plenty of them used on Amazon warehouse for $220-260? Do you have a link for that because that's a kickass deal?

Considering that the Series S is currently selling the most units out of any current gen system it seems like enough people "love" them. It was also the highest listed current gen system on Amazon's best seller in 2021 and so far in 2022 it's the highest listed one as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-S-Fortn...t=101&qid=1647183398&s=warehouse-deals&sr=1-3

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Having the slim version out at the same time as the high end model was always the plan. Microsoft didn't want to cut the price of console like they did with the XB1 and wanted to hit the casual audience that only buy at sub $300 before Sony.

The chip shortage makes the Series S probably the smartest move Microsoft ever made, but only because of chance. Technically the PS5 being a smaller SOC was also a smart decision compared to the Series X.

Also it's funny people mention the whole $199 holiday price drop as a bonus to the Series S. Uh that thing is never dropping to $199 until the mid gen refresh is out, and it'll be to clear units. Microsoft is not ever going to budge on $299/$499 unless it's to make the consoles more expensive.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a genius move...but a good move that turned out to be a lucky

Ultimately you don't need to be a genius to figure out that you can sell more consoles if said consoles are cheaper. And the idea of having 2 SKUS aimed at different demographics goes back to the 360 launch. The series S was just a perfect storm. It was the refinement of the multi sku strategy that happened to launch at a time when being able to pump out cheap next gen consoles quickly was very advantageous.
Microsoft's approach with the Series S|X is something literally no other console manufacturer has ever tried before.

So to say "you don't have to be a genius" to go with this approach downplays the type of innovative risk Microsoft took with this plan.

And you comparing it the 360 or Xbox One generation is inaccurate. Plopping a different sized hard drive in one of your units or removing the optical drive is not at all comparable to building a completely different SKU, with completely different specs, and requiring games to be built for it using a completely different profile. It's a novel approach.

If it was so obvious, Sony or Nintendo would do it, or even Microsoft themselves would've done it in years past.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the article on the first page is all you need, it's been around since before the shortage was really in full swing - the S was designed because the cost savings with chip manufacture were falling off a cliff LAST gen, so they realized this gen they could start with a cheaper unit and a 'pro' level unit, instead of starting with one unit and waiting 3 years to finally have an affordable one for your average gamer.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Xbox system architect (Andrew Goossen):

"I've read a lot of question on the internet, like, why isn't Microsoft going to continue Xbox One X as the low-end machine. Well, one thing is that it would last a long time through the generation and we felt that the new generation is defined by aspects such as the Xbox Velocity Architecture, and graphics features such as variable rate shading and ray tracing and the 4x processing performance boost on the CPU," counters Goossen. "And so we wanted to make sure that there was an entry level at the right price-point so that we could really advance the generation rather than hold it back. I've heard that Series S is going to hold back the next generation but I actually see Series S advancing it because by doing Series S we'll have more games written to the characteristics of the next generation."

Idk, how some can come to the conclusion that its last-gen tech. Perhaps some people get so jaded by only looking at what's on the high-end and forgetting the middle-segment and lower-segment of the market overall. Some people are really within their only bubble.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Microsoft's approach with the Series S|X is something literally no other console manufacturer has ever tried before.

So to say "you don't have to be a genius" to go with this approach downplays the type of innovative risk Microsoft took with this plan.

And you comparing it the 360 or Xbox One generation is inaccurate. Plopping a different sized hard drive in one of your units or removing the optical drive is not at all comparable to building a completely different SKU, with completely different specs, and requiring games to be built for it using a completely different profile. It's a novel approach.

If it was so obvious, Sony or Nintendo would do it, or even Microsoft themselves would've done it in years past.
They did do it, just not in the exact same fashion or order.

If this was the start of last gen you would be correct, this would be a big step outside the norms. Last gen, however, came the Pro and X consoles.

Between the Pro, X and Switch docked/undocked developers are used to developing to varying levels of hardware of the same console family.

Yes it is not just a different size HDD/SSD or a removal of an optical drive but it also isn't that big of a leap when coming off last gen.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Idk, how some can come to the conclusion that its last-gen tech. Perhaps some people get so jaded by only looking at what's on the high-end and forgetting the middle-segment and lower-segment of the market overall. Some people are really within their only bubble.
Nah, people are just clueless. Someone probably just made that up and others latched on to it without even thinking.

May 31, 2021
It's a genius move in hindsight, yes. I'm sure Sony wishes they had something similar on the market now that this chip shortage won't be going way anytime soon.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In terms if creating a cheaper barrier for entry to "next gen", it was a smart move.

I still hate everything about the series S, and will never understand why non-casual gamers would want one.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I think if it has disc slot it'll probably sell better on price conscient developing countries market which lacks MS presence.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

Some people really want to believe only the GPU and output resolution is important.

Oct 27, 2017
Lucky. The concept of a Series S didn't seem to make much sense beyond a more portable an inexpensive entry step to next generation….until the chip shortage. They didn't see that coming, at least to the extent it ended up being- nobody did. It just ended up being fortuitous for all involved in a low barrier to entry machine was created and ended up being in the exact right place at the right time. Not to say it wouldn't have had something of a purpose regardless but I do think it's popularity is highlighted by its availability.

I love my Series S btw.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Lucky. The concept of a Series S didn't seem to make much sense beyond a more portable an inexpensive entry step to next generation….until the chip shortage.

I love my Series S btw.
It did make sense though. Everybody knows what the most popular games are especially amongst kids. The Series S was perfect for your Fortnites, sports games, COD which is a giant percentage of console user base anyway. Having a cheaper system that can handle all of that was smart, throw in Game Pass it's an even better deal. The shortage just made the idea even better.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It exists because of their Game Pass strategy and that let them fall ass backwards into being the only console you can actually walk into a store and buy besides the similarly positioned Switch Lite

May 31, 2021
In terms if creating a cheaper barrier for entry to "next gen", it was a smart move.

I still hate everything about the series S, and will never understand why non-casual gamers would want one.
I have a Series S and I think it's a great companion console to the PS5. I buy cheap GP subs to play exclusives lol

"Plenty"

"Only 1 left in stock - order soon."

Lol.

Those are the bundles.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I have a Series S and I think it's a great companion console to the PS5. I buy cheap GP subs to play exclusives lol

Those are the bundles.

Z5Gr94V.png

There are like 4-5 used units and the rest are new for $299. This shouldn't be surprising as even the new models are very easy to come back since they can produce so many. If PS5/XSX were plentiful, they would also have a ton of used listings.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
It is successful and they made it because they know there is a market for it and that market isn't "people who hang out on gaming enthusiast forums". It is a product that made sense before the pandemic and the pandemic only exacerbated its appeal.

As someone who has young nieces, both who love playing games, it was the perfect choice for them. They don't care about resolution, Tflops, SSD speeds, or frame rates. The same way I didnt care that Goldeneye was a slideshow when I was a kid. They, and their parents, care about Game Pass and playing Minecraft and Fortnite. They don't need a $400-$500 box for that.

I have a Series X/PS5 in my living room and a Series S in my office connected to a 1080p monitor. It is a fantastic little machine. I use it to play some stuff while I watch progress bars for work. It didn't make any sense to buy a second Series X or another PS5 for that purpose.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Consoles always have shortages at launch and sometimes years after.

They definitely saw TSMC forecasts for production and yield on both of their APUs and knew that they'd be able to make far more Series S consoles than Series X consoles.

The chip shortage intensified the benefit, but the benefit was always there. You can build more small chips than large chips on a wafer and the yield will also be better. It's just basic geometry.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
It was a cost benefit, they increased their CPU yields meaning they got more devices from limited wafers as AMD/TMSC had limited capacity even when these were being planned / purchased

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Smart move since the beginning, and it will only get better when First party next gen only will be there with Game Pass + third party too.

And tech be more mature like VRS, Mesh Shaders & FSR 2.0

I always see that Series S was their 360 (really accessible, mass public friendly). Series X was their OG Xbox (Hardcore Audience).

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, people are just clueless. Someone probably just made that up and others latched on to it without even thinking.

True true, but I'm just baffled again as to how certain some people are on this forum, considering it's supposed to be somewhat more enthusiast :p, but yeah it's not a new phenomenon 🙄 .

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It will play next gen games like Flight Simulator and future titles. It also has a SSD. The CPU is much better than Xbox One so there's that too.

The thing is well designed for such a small form factor and a great platform for casual gamers who do not want to spend $500 or a PC that will cost more.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely a smart move. Base iPad is still the most popular iPad. iPhone SE sells gangbusters. Price and value is simply a stronger driving factor than owning the best of the best technology. Anyone here who doubts that is firmly in the era bubble

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think they always planned it as something that could have mass appeal by being relatively cheap... and that required being relatively less demanding to build.

The supply shortage just amplified that intended advantage.

Between series s and xcloud, I think it's pretty smart to products that allow Xbox to be the perfect companion- so that people don't prefer Xbox don't have to skip Xbox altogether.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It was planned as a low-cost entry into the Xbox ecosystem (aka a GP box). It's always been about having the lowest barrier to entry into their subscription service. There's no way it was designed and released because of any chip shortages, but it has inadvertently turned into a major win for the company. They get to reuse leftover components, have a low priced console, and keep units on shelves. All wins.