• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
With the exception of REmake, they are all re-imaginings to me. REmake was the only one that could even remotely qualify as a replacement, and that is a compliment to the quality of the game.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Technically you can go with either one, as certain supplemental materials make references to the original, but in practice the average person only needs to pay attention to REmake and now REmake 2. Some of the references to RE1 in recent times are more like minor Easter eggs, in-game jokes or flat out oversights rather than any definitive stance on how the RE story must play out. It's also notable that references to the originals (or to things long considered non-canon like RE2 Leon A/Claire B) are often done in material not written by a main series writer.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
out of my ass speculation but i imagine with the success of re2make and RE Engine the recent remakes will start a spinoff series that sort of mix and matches with the established canon

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
To me, I have to consider them a new timeline at least starting from REmake 2. In the REmake, Leon has no inkling that Ada is still alive, he has no idea anyone tossed the rocket launcher to him (unlike OG Leon B ending.) So his reaction to meeting Ada again in 4 would make no sense now.
But RE4 (taking place in 2004) isn't the first time that Leon is learning Ada is alive, so there's no continuity error or broken lore either way. Leon either learns that Ada is alive at the end of RE2 (original), or he learns it offscreen after the events of the game (remake). In RE4, Leon questions Ada about her ties to Wesker, which he obviously learned of before the game began.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
They didn't replacement.
It's just another retelling of the event.

Now aday we still doesn't know the true story of tbe RE 1 and 2 Event.

The closet we get is UC and DC.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
I don't really think in terms of timelines, as much of how the games go together in terms of tone.

Classic RE was pure old timey B movie nonsense.

RE4 and RE7 are a bit alike in tone, just with one being darker than other. There's horror mixed with a bit of comedy. Vaguely Raimi-esque, with one being Spider-Man Raimi and the other being Evil Dead Raimi.

Then RE5 and RE6 are full on Michael Bay stuff.

REmake 2 and 3 give me the vibe you see in a lot of modern horror movies. There's a kind of colorful starkness in how things look, with mild element of genre awareness in the setups and writing, just a hint of comedy, but also lots of harrowing brutality.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well. The stories are the same, maybe a few different takes because technology allows it. But it's ultimately the same so it's a replacement.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

Remake 2 was good but it didn't totally replace the original for me like REmake.

We're pretty much on the same page. Hence, why I'm afraid they are going to remake REmake (a la Resident Evil 1) and keep the same gameplay as these newer games. Not really sure why people are calling these games replacements, since several components of the original games are removed. They are compliments to the original, but entirely changed the game design of the original PS1 classics. They can never be proper "remakes" to me because of that.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Remake one, as a replacement, but for me, Remake 2 and 3 are neither, I will put them as a retelling of the events with some changes which will fall in line with the changes found in scenarios Claire A versus Leon A/ Claire B versus Leon B in the original Resident Evil 2 or the different decisions one could take while playing Resident Evil 3.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
i see them as re-imaginings, like metal gear solid 1 vs. twin snakes. I see HD remasters as replacements

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I think the original Resident Evil remake has an argument for being considered a replacement, but it's the only one. And even then, both games are valid for different, important reasons.

The remake of 2 is absolutely, 100% not a replacement for the original Resident Evil 2. The remake is good, but the original RE2 is incredible.
This is how I feel. REmake 2 while good failed with scenario B for both Claire and Leon. While the original RE2 knocked it out of the park.

REmake on the hand was basically better than the original and improved the story with Lisa Trevor that explained how Nemesis and the G Virus came to be.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I see not many people pay attention to RE lore, shame.

They can't be replacements. They are more like additions.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
REmake pretty much deprecated RE1, but RE2 Remake is different enough to not be entirely interchangeable with OG RE2.

Oct 25, 2017
But RE4 (taking place in 2004) isn't the first time that Leon is learning Ada is alive, so there's no continuity error or broken lore either way. Leon either learns that Ada is alive at the end of RE2 (original), or he learns it offscreen after the events of the game (remake). In RE4, Leon questions Ada about her ties to Wesker, which he obviously learned of before the game began.
That is exactly my point, based on the original game it wasn't a continuity error, at the end of 2 he suspected she was alive and would logically look into that.

In the REmake 2 continuity, he believes her dead and would have no reason to look for signs of her.

Ada's reintroduction in 4 was never perfect to begin with, it expects you to just take things on faith. That during the gap between the events of 2 and 4 Leon had access to resources and opportunity through the government to learn she was alive and working with Wesker.

But again, in the original continuity, he would have reason to suspect she was alive and search. In the new continuity, he would not reasonably have that suspicion. The difference is obvious and huge.

Oct 27, 2017
The first game? Yeah I would say so as it adds more the the existing lore and game.

2? Nah not a chance. There a lot of missing stuff in it and it feels way less complete. The A/B scenarios were missed and I miss the lore papers you could find in the original.

3 gould go either way. The original game was vague cause of the choices.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That is exactly my point, based on the original game it wasn't a continuity error, at the end of 2 he suspected she was alive and would logically look into that.

In the REmake 2 continuity, he believes her dead and would have no reason to look for signs of her.

Ada's reintroduction in 4 was never perfect to begin with, it expects you to just take things on faith. That during the gap between the events of 2 and 4 Leon had access to resources and opportunity through the government to learn she was alive and working with Wesker.

But again, in the original continuity, he would have reason to suspect she was alive and search. In the new continuity, he would not reasonably have that suspicion. The difference is obvious and huge.
Just because Leon believes Ada to be dead at the end of the remake doesn't mean that he won't brush up against information to the contrary in the six years between RE2 and RE4. That's a pretty big gap, and even with the original RE2 to RE4, there was a lot that happened between games that we never got to see, like Leon learning of Wesker, as we both mentioned.

I just can't see it as some glaring continuity or lore issue, when there's a lot there that isn't explicitly filled in anyway, thanks to the aforementioned six year gap between 2 and 4.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Replacements. I don't know why I'd go back to the originals for any of those games aside from nostalgia and even then I'd rather watch a let's play. These remakes are just perfect.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Re1 remake is canon because I played it and not the original which I did't complete.. But seriously, Remake is made from Cube versions which has cool content, bosses improved,etc. There are not major differences story wise anyways..

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Storyline replacements sure. Replacements to the original games? not at all, I'd still like a classic collection of the originals. 2 and 3 play entirely differnt to the original and even the original RE1 has elements not present in REmake like more complex branching paths.

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
I seem to remember a CAPCOM Q&A video with community managers I think, they stated the originals where canon but I cannot find the video.