• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enthusiastic Explorer

• Yes.

Votes: 72 83.7%
  • Something close to yes but with a but.

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Something close to not but with a but.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I consider myself a huge fan of Tomb Raider. Yet I had only really played on game from the original Playstation titles: Tomb Raider 2. I decided to change that now, and got the other 4 games, starting my playthrough with the original 1996 game.

And woah, it's incredible!

I've replayed TR2 recently and I didn't quite enjoyed it that much. I thought it showed its age and I'm not one to ever say that about games. Yet, surprisingly, I don't feel the same way about the first Tomb Raider at all. Yes, it can be frustrating and slow and imprecise sometimes, but it's still a fantastic experience. I'm getting close to the end of Egypt and I keep getting awestruck by how great the levels in this game can get. There are some really big levels with amazing vertically and a lot of opportunities to explore. It's truly is the Dark Souls of Tomb Raider in terms of backtracking and getting back to the point you started.

I've also heard a lot about "feeling of isolation" and yadda yadda, and generally I think these things tend to go over my head. Yet in this game I did feel that. I did feel like I was alone in this vast place where every corner could reveal something new and interesting. And I have to say, there were some scary moments here and there that would be a match for its contemporary Resident Evil. The only thing I can't understand is why some people think Anniversary isn't a proper remake of this game. The more I play it the more the remake feels a fantastic modernization.

All that said, it brings me to the question in the OP. Tomb Raider is a long running franchise and certainly one of the most relevant ones in all of gaming, with Lara Croft the most successful female protagonist in videogames. Yet I'm not sure there is a game in the series that would be overwhelmingly considered a masterpiece, or a landmark as I put it. Except maybe the first game? Which came out in the early days of 3d graphics and I think it already did a fantastic job in understanding how it could be used to create fantastic levels full of possibilities.

Also, please come back soon Lara. I miss you.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
the day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, the biggest shopping day of the year.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
It was very important in the group of original 3D games that released. And I still find the original enjoyable to this day. The visuals may not have aged well but the level design and controls still hold up IMO. I also love the fact that the game doesn't hand hold and the environment leads the player through exploration. And yeah the sense of isolation really draws you into the world, which is a pity that the series strayed away from that with each iteration.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I consider it a landmark for being among the first games to have that kind of 3D navigation and nailing how precise it is. But I do think TR3 is the better game.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
They are simply fantastic games. The first is my least favourite of the original 4 games because the level variety isn't quite as good, but it's still a revolutionary game.

Jul 1, 2020
How could the answer be anything but yes? I'd imagine that people who started playing games in the 2000's would have a different opinion of the franchise overall but there was nothing like it at the time of its original release.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Yes. It was the first properly realized 3D action adventure with heavy emphasis on platforming.

Oh, and the boobs, don't forget about the boobs.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
I consider it a landmark for being among the first games to have that kind of 3D navigation and nailing how precise it is. But I do think TR3 is the better game.
TR3 gets a lot of hate but I do tend to agree. My perfect Tomb Raider game would have the design of TR3 but with the combat paired back to a similar fashion like the original game. Never going to happen but a classic TR fan can dream :P

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The first tomb raider games were very special, walking around in your mansion, doing swan dives in your pool was rad, the item/weapon wheel, exploring caves was creepy and exciting, cool athletic movement like backflips and jumps to help with your exploring caves and getting in hidden spots.

Liethe

Nov 19, 2017
yes, and it is still the only game Lara is in that I feel is really great. TR2 is also good but the shift to levels based in cities and such from then on plus the increase in human enemies makes everything a downhill slide in terms of the series quality.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You would be stupid or ignorant if you argued otherwise. It's really rough by today's standards, but it was a major milestone in gaming circa 1996.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
I find you can judge a console gen's landmark game by seeing it referenced in mainstream media
  • "GTA, 10 points!" - Resident Evil Apocalypse - GTA for the PS2 era
  • "It's just like Call of Duty" - The A-Team - CoD for the 360 era
  • All the annoying flossing - Shazam, Sonic, etc - Fortnite for the PS4 era
And I remember Tomb Raider being shorthand for the PSX era on TV. So many rough tit jokes. "Go buy Tomb Raider 2, it's just as good as Tomb Raider 1 but they've made Lara Croft's t-shirt a little bit tighter".

Status
Not open for further replies.