• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which franchise do you think is bigger?

• One Piece

Votes: 345 29.4%
  • Dragon Ball

Votes: 829 70.6%

• Total voters
Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Interestingly enough, Naruto is way more popular today worldwide than any of the two: https://diamondlobby.com/geeky-stuff/most-popular-anime/
unknown.png

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's Dragonball and its not even close. All the facts have been stated already in this thread, but Toei saying DBZ makes them more money is it. I think there was a year or two before Super, OP was looking to over take it or did. But Super reignited the fire and blew up the franchise.

Wikipedia has a lot of fun stats for the Broly movie, specifically for Latin America. Stuff like:
  • Second biggest premiere, only behind End Game for Peru.
  • Biggest premiere for animation in Bolivia
  • Biggest opening ever for Fox in Argentina
  • 3rd biggest opening for animation in Chile
Only 25% of the film's gross was in Japan for Broly, compared to 50% for One Piece's Stampede. Add in China and that is about 90% of OP's last film gross. Its going to be interest for the next two films this year. DB Super Hero doesn't have Super running to pump up the hype or Broly. It also doesn't look as good from an animation perspective. While One Piece Red has been getting a lot more hype this time around.

Yeah, 100% Era bubble, I don't even know how you can say One Piece = football and DB = American football, when it's clearly the other way around.

Its not an era bubble, its a One Piece fandom bubble. Specifically, it is a western audience One Piece bubble that has existed for about 15 years now. Since it never took off in America like the fandom believed it deserved, there has always been a massive overcompensation for it.

Last edited:

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
One Piece. Dragon Ball's popularity has dwindled with time, and many consider Naruto to be bigger than DB as of today. One Piece's fanbase has grown pretty rapidly over the last few years, though. It's really hard not to say OP is THE anime at the moment.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Bleach fade away because it sucked after awhile lol, OP is still beloved after 1000 chapters and 25 years

In terms of quality and consistency imo there's no shonen that can compete with OP
Dude, I'm not going to discuss quality, since I do, indeed, think One Piece is better than Bleach.

But we both should know this reason is nonsense. The Bleach anime ended in 2012 and the manga ended in 2016. Any manga that ended more than 5 years ago is going to be less relevant than an ongoing one. Dragon Ball had a period in which it lost relevancy until it came back with Super and has, ever since, saw periodic releases of new movies. Naruto has also the Boruto anime and manga ongoing to keep the propriety relevant.

In regards to Bleach, everyone should wait and see how the anime performs when it returns in October.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Dude, I'm not going to discuss quality, since I do, indeed, think One Piece is better than Bleach.

But we both should know this reason is nonsense. The Bleach anime ended in 2012 and the manga ended in 2016. Any manga that ended more than 5 years ago is going to be less relevant than an ongoing one. Dragon Ball had a period in which it lost relevancy until Super came back and has, ever since, saw periodic releases of new movies. Naruto has also the Boruto anime and manga ongoing to keep the propriety relevant.

In regards to Bleach, everyone should wait and see how the anime performs when it returns in October.

Didn't Bleach had a massive decline before its ending? Unlike a manga like Naruto that kept doing great despite fans complaining about some decisions

I think the new anime will do well though

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

But we both should know this reason is nonsense. The Bleach anime ended in 2012 and the manga ended in 2016. Any manga that ended more than 5 years ago is going to be less relevant than an ongoing one. Dragon Ball had a period in which it lost relevancy until it came back with Super and has, ever since, saw periodic releases of new movies. Naruto has also the Boruto anime and manga ongoing to keep the propriety relevant.

Bleach's anime was cancelled and I believe the manga was told to wrap it up. It had to be shelved because of declining popularity.

They've waited long enough where there is a build up nostalgia for it, they can spend the time to correct the final arc, and Bleach has always looked slick. Its why people are hyped for it.

Last edited:

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Bleach's anime was cancelled and I believe the manga was told to wrap it up. It had to be shelved because of declining popularity.
You are right in regards to the anime. The ratings were, indeed, low by the end of the Lost Agent and the cancellation of the anime, without a doubt, impacted the volume sales. Let's be logical, most manga with an animated adaptation end before the anime does. Bleach's manga was clearly affected by the anime's early cancellation.

As for the manga, it was never officially stated the reason for the sudden wrap-up, but as soon Bleach finished, Kubo was hospitalized and had a torn shoulder tendon. It was very clear that this health was debilitated by the time the manga ended and I see that as one valid reason for SJ quickly wrapping-up the last chapters without fanfare.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You are right in regards to the anime. The ratings were, indeed, low by the end of the Lost Agent and the cancellation of the anime, without a doubt, impacted the volume sales. Let's be logical, most manga with an animated adaptation end before the anime does. Bleach's manga was clearly affected by the anime's early cancellation.

As for the manga, it was never officially stated the reason for the sudden wrap-up, but as soon Bleach finished, Kubo was hospitalized and had a torn shoulder tendon. It was very clear that this health was debilitated by the time the manga ended and I see that as one valid reason for SJ quickly wrapping-up the last chapters without fanfare.

I did not know that about Kubo. It does make sense though since like Akira and Kishimoto. They never loved their series like Oda loves OP. They wanted it to end badly. But by the end of Bleach, it was in the bottom half of SJW for weekly popularity.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
in certain Latam countries, DBZ is popular culture at least at certain age point and below, not sure if I would call OP a blip on the radar of popular culure here, after DBZ there is Naruto for the younger and Bleach from the oldest generations and even Ranma and Sailor Moon before OP, I would chalk it to when or if the were aired on open TV... but Even OnePunch Man has more traction with my demographic than OP especially as it is nearly impossible to enter and catch up now...,

I have never seen a kid playing and doing the gattling-gun/whatever that luffy does... but I am not even sure if OP has aired at all in my country...

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
Or wait.. did 4kids fuck up One Piece for the rest of Latin America ?
"Looks it up"

Oh God it Did.

THANK you America for fucking Up One Piece in Latin America (and Fucking up Precure for the whole world outside Japan with your "Glitter Force" mess)

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
Don't you just hate it when America fucks up Anime shows in countries where Anime already strives and to greater success compared to the US?

Don't you just hate it when America shoves down to other countries their "Americanized" versions of these shows when said countries were already fine in localizing these shows closer to the original version than America's more white-washing culture-erasing stuff?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Dragonball had an anime release during covid, how much larger it would be. Even without that, it's still larger than OP.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you just hate it when America fucks up Anime shows in countries where Anime already strives and to greater success compared to the US?

Don't you just hate it when America shoves down to other countries their "Americanized" versions of these shows when said countries were already fine in localizing these shows closer to the original version than America's more white-washing culture-erasing stuff?

Yeah, I do find it annoying that america basically has the monopoly on just about all japanese media localisation into english. I would love if this was spread out more to different countries, both in terms of the localisation itself and the voice acting.

OP
OP
Akiba756

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
"Looks it up"

Oh God it Did.

THANK you America for fucking Up One Piece in Latin America (and Fucking up Precure for the whole world outside Japan with your "Glitter Force" mess)

Yup, they did, there were also localized versions of the One Piece rap

Apparently, Toei licensed One Piece to 4kids as a part of a package deal, i am pretty sure they regret this decision a lot

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, not even close all my family members knows who goku is, and they don't even know what anime is. Goku in on Mario levels.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"Looks it up"

Oh God it Did.

Apparently, Toei licensed One Piece to 4kids as a part of a package deal, i am pretty sure they regret this decision a lot

Right now Netflix is dubbing the anime and it's a much better localization, see it everywhere on Twitter here in BR

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022

My country got 4kids Pokemon, Canadian Powerpuff Girls Z (after getting the Japanese version) and... The Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh dubbed but still with the "Joey Wheeler" names.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My country got 4kids Pokemon, Canadian Powerpuff Girls Z (after getting the Japanese version) and... The Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh dubbed but still with the "Joey Wheeler" names.

Fun fact, despite being dubbed here, PowerPuffZ never actually aired here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God, In France we had the original japanese OST for Dragon Ball, they just did the instrumental versions when there were lyrics.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Was girly anime (except Sailor Moon I guess) not viable in the US in particular?
I suppose it depends on what you consider viable.

Truth is, there are examples of it (including but not limited to Sailor Moon) airing on TV and actually building a reasonable following, but they all ran into the issue of the major programming blocks for anime for a lot of the 90s and 2000s being based around action, sci-fi, and comedy and typically on channels/blocks that trended more towards a male focus (Adult Swim very specifically mocked the idea of ever running Ranma 1/2 in its bumpers). It's also why the major examples I can think of for "girly anime" that took off are also ones that still fit into those genres.

It's also worth noting that beyond what aired on TV, "girly anime" was omni-present on home video and it felt like those properties were huge in the manga space.

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
I suppose it depends on what you consider viable.

Truth is, there are examples of it (including but not limited to Sailor Moon) airing on TV and actually building a reasonable following, but they all ran into the issue of the major programming blocks for anime for a lot of the 90s and 2000s being based around action, sci-fi, and comedy and typically on channels/blocks that trended more towards a male focus (Adult Swim very specifically mocked the idea of ever running Ranma 1/2 in its bumpers). It's also why the major examples I can think of for "girly anime" that took off are also ones that still fit into those genres.

It's also worth noting that beyond what aired on TV, "girly anime" was omni-present on home video and it felt like those properties were huge in the manga space.
Sad that such is the case in the US when stereotypically more girly anime (Candy Candy has no fight scenes) thrived in multiple countries outside the US.

(Also Ranma 1/2 ran on Shonen Sunday, a magazine targeting boys, though I know the recent survey showed Ranma 1/2 having more female fans)

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
But the numbers say the exact opposite? lmfao what is going on in this thread with one piece fans
I feel like a lot of One Piece fans live in a bubble where they only interact with other One Piece fans and therefore have a lot of delusions over it. I can't believe people are saying DBZ is mostly popular in the US when it's a worldwide phenomena.

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
I feel like a lot of One Piece fans live in a bubble where they only interact with other One Piece fans and therefore have a lot of delusions over it. I can't believe people are saying DBZ is mostly popular in the US when it's a worldwide phenomena.
But One Piece is also a worldwide phenomenon.

I can't say that all the school supply stores and dry markets selling One Piece Merch in multiple provinces (Next To SpongeBob and Frozen Anna and Elsa stuff) all happen to be owned by One Piece fans.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

People saying OP isn't popular worldwide because US aren't much better

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For context, I live in the US: I've never, in my entire life, seen someone wearing a shirt with Luffy or any other character from One Piece on it. I've seen more Goku/DB shirts than I could ever count. I've also lived in a few different places so it's not just a regional thing.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
(Also Ranma 1/2 ran on Shonen Sunday, a magazine targeting boys, though I know the recent survey showed Ranma 1/2 having more female fans)
I'm more than aware. Doesn't change what perception about it was, given its eventual audience and the genres its creator also worked in.

But, yes, it is a shame that (at least for a long while) anime was pigeonholed into being more of a thing where "boys shows" were the focus, even when there absolutely was evidence for "girl shows" being viable, and that a lot of that simply boiled down to the culture of the programming blocks that were more active in pushing anime.

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
For context, I live in the US: I've never, in my entire life, seen someone wearing a shirt with Luffy or any other character from One Piece on it. I've seen more Goku/DB shirts than I could ever count. I've also lived in a few different places so it's not just a regional thing.
Blame 4Kids.
That's not the case in Southeast Asia

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
People keep parroting that it's solely 4Kids' fault, and yet other series (including Dragon Ball ) came back from similar (if not outright worse) issues.

It simply just didn't catch on in the same way.
But 4Kids Fucked up One Piece in multiple other countries, (and America Fucked up Precure in multiple countries around the world) because monopolization and..

I'd argue DB is still fucked up with the Americans centering how important Rock the Dragon or Bruce Faulconer or whatever are.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue DB is still fucked up with the Americans centering how important Rock the Dragon or Bruce Faulconer or whatever are
And yet it is still popular ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also y'all need to let that go amd stop policing how some of us enjoy the series. Faulconer gets brought up more by people whining about the music than he gets brought up by people who enjoy it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People keep parroting that it's solely 4Kids' fault, and yet other series (including Dragon Ball ) came back from similar (if not outright worse) issues.

It simply just didn't catch on in the same way.

OP was much worse, they even cut parts of the story

But I do think OP "weirdness" puts some people off

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
And yet it is still popular ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also y'all need to let that go amd stop policing how some of us enjoy the series. Faulconer gets brought up more by people whining about the music than he gets brought up by people who enjoy it.
Because Americans and their self-centering selves can't shut up to the rest of the world how the version with their white American music is SUPERIOR to the version with the Asian music.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
All it takes is checking Wikipedia and see Dragon Ball has much more sales in merchandising and video games, which makes it an overall higher earner. One Piece has more manga sales though by a healthy chunk. Dragon Ball is bigger and I say this as someone who loves One Piece and has never watched Dragon Ball.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
OP was much worse, they even cut parts of the story
DBZ was so edited that it lost episodes on its first pass.

Because Americans and their self-centering selves can't shut up to the rest of the world how the version with their white American music is SUPERIOR to the version with the Asian music.
This is so weirdly xenophobic.

Again, for most of us, It isn't even a matter of the music being superior as much as it is that it's just a preference due to nostalgia. Usually, it gets brought up by people whining about it even being a thing that people like.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's One Piece and it's not even close. There is a case for Dragon Ball because for a lot of US people in their late 20's to 30's Dragon Ball was one of if not the first anime they watched so it's embedded in the culture and remains relevant because of that. Still, One Piece is the highest selling manga of all time and had a run of being the #1 manga that will probably never be passed. Plus it's just a better manga and show.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
I have yet to see that a single time in this thread, and threads on Era about DB have people shitting on the American OST randomly and out of nowhere, like here. It's pretty obnoxious how often it happens.

Out of every DB thread I've seen on here it's almost always started by some person that likes the Japanese Dub/OST randomly trashing on the US OST, even in appreciation threads. Or in random threads like this one.

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
DBZ was so edited that it lost episodes on its first pass.

This is so weirdly xenophobic.

Again, for most of us, It isn't even a matter of the music being superior as much as it is that it's just a preference due to nostalgia. Usually, it gets brought up by people whining about it even being a thing that people like.
Is it more Xenophobic than all instances of American editing of Foreign media to get rid of artifacts and references to asian culture because American Children specifically, among all the children in the world, cannot handle Asian stuff in their shows?

fromotogi

Banned
Apr 30, 2022
I have yet to see that a single time in this thread, and threads on Era about DB have people shitting on the American OST randomly and out of nowhere, like here. It's pretty obnoxious how often it happens.

Out of every DB thread I've seen on here it's almost always started by some person that likes the Japanese Dub/OST randomly trashing on the US OST, even in appreciation threads. Or in random threads like this one.
There are more people in the world that grew up with the Japanese OST, and yet I frequently see stuff about how Faulconer music is superior because self-centering Americans gotta forefront world anime fandom.