• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genshin Impact is a JRPG?

• Yes

Votes: 392 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 491 55.6%

• Total voters

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut
Genshin Impact was made in China by Chinese developers, but it could easily pass for a JRPG. It has the pretty boy characters, and the squeaky anime voices. I don't much about the gameplay because I've only watched streams and videos of it. I don't know if I can call it a JRPG. It wasn't made in Japan by Japanese developers, so I don't know. What do ya'll think? DEBATE!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Stylistically, kind of. Geographically, no. It's not a Japanese-made game.

We may need to rename JRPGs and WRPGs moving forward if China and other Asian nations continue to expand their presence in the wider gaming sphere. It's not really fair to erase Chinese, Korean, Indian, or other Asian developers to call their games "Japanese RPGs".

JRPG is a genre, not a place of origin.

It's really not, though.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I would say yes because JRPG isn't bound to the country anymore but just simply a genre. CrossCode is also definitly one, for example, and thats made in Germany.

And Genshin Impact certainly has that Tales-kinda flavor.

edit: kinda surprised at the poll results, seems like people still think if it isnt made in japan its not a jrpg

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Itt's certainly emulating JRPG tropes, but I don't think it'd class as a JRPG, in the same way Dark Souls 2 brings in a lot oof WRPG things but isn't a WRPG.

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
JRPG is a genre and not reliant on the country of origin. There are other games that fit the JRPG mold that weren't developed in Japan. So, yes, Genshin Impact is absolutely a JRPG.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
JRPG is a genre, not a place of origin.
I simply can't fathom what anybody would get from the information that it's a RPG made in Japan. Like that doesn't mean ANYTHING.
Look at Witcher 3, it's PRPG.
29gymp.jpg

And yes, I'd classify Genshin Impact would classify as action jrpg.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
If JRPG only counts for the country it was made in, then Dark Souls is a JRPG. And if that really were the case, then genres wouldn't matter anymore because they'd be meaningless. So yes, Genshin Impact is a JRPG.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
A little of A and a little of B.

If not for the fact it's from Chinese developers, it would certainly pass as a JRPG. It being from China though does kind of mean it's not a JRPG in the strictest sense, but I feel that distinction is getting fuzzier over time though to where it's more a style than a strictly geographical issue.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
If JRPG only counts for the country it was made in, then Dark Souls is a JRPG. And if that really were the case, then genres wouldn't matter anymore because they'd be meaningless. So yes, Genshin Impact is a JRPG.
All of those Souls games are JRPGs to me. Just because they don't have an anime-inspired aesthetic doesn't mean they're not.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
This is the worst lamest argument on the entire internet

I wrote a paragraph and a half before I remembered that

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Country of origin is irrelevant. JRPG is a non-gameplay-focused style. Like horror games - Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Siren, Amnesia, and Clock Tower are all horror games, even though each series has very different gameplay than the others.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
It's an anime action-rpg. The label jrpg doesn't mean anything anymore since no one is using turn-based combat systems anyway, just like wrpg.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how people who are ok with calling Genshin a JRPG feel about Dark Souls being called a WRPG.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

You had the right idea, genre names ARE meaningless. JRPG only exist because people didn't want to call 80s and 90s console RPGs like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy "RPG." To differentiate it from "COMPUTER RPG." It's a dumb moniker. Final Fantasy is an RPG, Tales is an RPG. Fallout is an RPG. Diablo is an RPG.

Most games make up multiple genres. Nothing is just one genre.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I guess this leads me to think about the idea behind whether we should redefine some of the descriptive terms we use in gaming as genre's become more mixed with one another and more countries join the fold.

JRPG should probably change it's meaning from "Japanese Role Playing Game" into "Japanese-style Role Playing Game" which would eliminate such a weird technicality. Considering Japan was mostly the harbinger of this style of game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For people choosing yes, is it Indivible a JRPG?

The main complaints I heard about Indivisible is that it wasn't an RPG at all and there were fewer RPG elements than you'd see in your standard SotN-style Castlevania.

JRPG should probably change it's meaning from "Japanese Role Playing Game" into "Japanese-style Role Playing Game" which would eliminate such a weird technicality. Considering Japan was mostly the harbinger of this style of game.

That's already happened. Just like RPG these days doesn't really mean "Role Playing Game" but refers to certain styles of games.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The only defining feature people use to determine if something is a JRPG is "anime art style" which is even more worthless than country of origins so I vote "no". It is Chinese.