• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you consider Black Panther the best MCU film?

• Yes, no doubt

Votes: 86 3.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 143 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 2,120 90.3%

• Total voters

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I don't even think it's in the top 10 for me. Killmonger was great though and probably my favorite thing from the movie.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Winter Soldier, Ragnarok, and Iron Man 1 are better than Black Panther, but is top 5. Maybe throw in GotG1 at 5th place?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No. I hate saying it because I feel like people always side-eye this sentiment...but it was a thoroughly average movie to me.

I get that it's an important film for a lot of people, but much of the social commentary felt pretty surface level imo. And as a comic book film - the action is poor and the CGI is terrible. Killmonger had some great lines, but his ability to take over Wakanda seemed incredibly contrived. I mean shit, Daniel Kaluuya's character betrayed his wife and lifelong best friend because they didn't kill Klaw on the first attempt in front of everyone? T'Challa was also somehow super bland here after an awesome introduction in Civil War.

Wakanda and Shuri are the best things to come out of it.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
It's in my top 5 for sure. Now that I think of it, it's my number 3.

Winter Soldier
Infinity War
Black Panther
Thor Ragnarok
Iron Man 3

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I love the moment he made his decision to do what's right, aside from Captain's last stand against Thanos in Infinity War, that's the MCU moment I love the most.

But.

I still prefer the happier joy rides like Thor Ragnarok or Tom Holland- I mean Spider-Man.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's bottom of my top 5, under both Guardians, Ant-Man and Ragnarok. I prefer the less serious movies of the MCU.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, definitely. BP is the only Marvel movie I legitimately think is good and have any passion for. Avengers 1 and Civil War are entertaining, and the rest are nothing special or just bad.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Loved it, think I saw it about 4 times in theaters. My top 5 changes every other month but it's up there for me. The soundtrack, the villain and the humor was perfect imo. I came out wanting more M'Baku too which I never thought I'd say.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I prefer the more blatantly comedic MCU films. The GOTG's, Ragnarok, Ant-Man's, Spider-Man's, Iron Man 3. Black Panther is one of the best of the rest though, for what that's worth.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I mean, it's one of the only ones with anything interesting to say. Hell, it one of the few MCU movies with like... themes. At all. It's pretty much just BP, the Guardians movies, and charitably Iron Man 1/3 and Captain Marvel.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Avengers has always been the best one, and that's because it does what the MCU does best: be a fun movie.

And calling BP's themes "deep" is honestly more than a little generous. Killmonger's motivations are deep compared to the paper-thin themes of ant-man and captain marvel, but taken on their own he's pretty simple. At the end of the film complex socopolitical systems of white supremacy are ignored in favor of CGI rhino fights...

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Black Panther suffered from being rushed, especially in the CGI department.

Winter Soldier is the best stand alone flick.

Civil War edges out Infinity War for me.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's pretty mid-tier. It's weird, I came around on it after several months and now I'm back to where I was on thinking it's good but not really stand-out at all. It has a genuine message, some of the better characters in the franchise, and a genuine heart, but also some of the worst action and a story that still feels kind of cliche.

Oct 27, 2017
It's Ragnarok or the original Guardians of the Galaxy for me. If Black Panther had stronger visuals it would be up there(the costumes and shit were great. Don't get me wrong).

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on my mood. It's firmly entrenched in the top 3 for me, alongside Endgame and Infinity War.

It's insane to me that 2018 had it, Infinity War, and Into the Spider-Verse, all 3 of which hold a strong argument for being the greatest comic films of all time.

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
Not even top 5

Iron Man
Avengers Assemble
Endgame
Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians 1
Winter Soldier
Spiderman FFH

All better for me

viral

Oct 25, 2017
It was fine, but I didn't feel like it was any better or worse than most MCU films. My favorite is easily Ragnarok.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Not in the top 5 and possibly not the top 10. Would rank Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Ragnarok, Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame and Guardians of the Galaxy above it.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
it's a good movie but not the best, here is why

1- Vibranium solves everything got tiresome quickly
2- Purples Suit is lame. OG Suit was better.
3- Eric Killmonger didn't have enough runtime as King, the pace moved too quickly after his coronation.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOTG and Ragnarok are my favorite

BP was just ok. And the dude as a character kinda sucked shit. I thought he was way cooler in CW and the Avengers flicks than he was in his own.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...

what is this supposed to refute? lol

Just saying. People claim MCU plays it safe and doesn't have consequences. This movie caused a major rift in the Avengers and honestly, the Stark murders should be R rated. They are a slightly less graphic version of the murder via bottle in Pan's Labyrinth.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely not. I enjoy the movie, but I have a few problems with it.
The CG is definitely some of the worst in the MCU. I also thought Chadwick Boseman to be pretty boring tbh. I felt the movie was carried by Michael B Jordan and Letitia Wright (Shuri).

I'd probably put it in the 8-12 range.

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
Black Panther was a good MCU film, but certainly not the best MCU film, in my opinion. The T'Challa character was actually better in Civil War, I thought. The climactic battle at the end was REALLY WEAK, sorry. Too dark (I mean brightness. Not tone.) and obviously too much no-great CGI. I'd have loved a gritty James Bond-style fistfight across jungles and streams or what have you. Not CGI trains etc. I don't mean to be negative about the film though, it was still very enjoyable to me.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Don't mean to come across as combative, but does a film need to have super serious themes explored in excruciating detail in order to be well-executed, good cinema?

No.

But, a film should have themes which it throughly explores and executes. Merely touching upon a theme or briefly presenting it is not exploring it.

You can have a basic theme of "the power of friendship" or "what does it mean to do the right thing?" And, if you throughly explore it then you can get great films like Empire Strikes Back or ET. Marvel films often think presenting a theme or question is the same as exploring it.