• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you? (Feel free to mention them in the comments)

• Yes, only one.

Votes: 233 18.8%
  • Yes, two.

Votes: 218 17.6%
  • Yes, there are three.

Votes: 90 7.2%
  • Yes, four AC games.

Votes: 24 1.9%
  • Yes, five titles.

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • Yes, six or more.

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • No, not one.

Votes: 654 52.7%

• Total voters

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
think all of them are pretty flawed. but I still enjoyed most of them. I think there were games like Unity and all Ezio spin off games were pretty bad. The main numbered ones are pretty good. Syndicate, Origins, and Odyssey are ok as well. origins being the weakest one out of the three.

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, this:

Assassins_Creed_2_Box_Art.JPG

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
You will be pleased to hear the writer is back for Valhalla.

Darby McDevitt, right? His work on Black Flag is legitimately some of the best writing I've encountered in an AAA game.

I've been watching The Last Kingdom and enjoying it so that team taking on that setting is very exciting. May have to get Valhalla at launch.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think if Ubisoft remade AC2 in like 5-6 years, it could be a masterpiece.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
AC2 is a masterpiece of it's generation. It's a fun game and one of the most popular games of it's generation that for better or worse became how Ubi makes literally all games.

AC is a mess that I wished I liked more and AC2 fulfilled that promise.
The rest of the Ezio games are good but very derivative.
AC3 has a good premise but is just a mess of pacing and way too slow at points.
AC4 is a fun game that I *love* but it basically exists as a bad AC game with a fun pirate game that hte AC game keeps getting in the way of.
I *really* enjoy Unity. I love Paris, I love the setting. It's fucking gorgeous. It's also a very flawed game with tons of technical failings and weird pacing and you can cheese too many of the assassinations.
Syndicate is probably "better" than Unity but I didn't like the setting as much.

I think that Origins and Odyssey are *really* good games and have enjoyed both of them. I think they are really really way too fucking long for no purpose. They both tack on RPG elements for minimal benefit and lock key abilities behind skill trees. They both require too much farming to upgrade your character to be able to complete missions and it bogs the games down.
Great post, summarized my experience with the series 100% - at least, out of the games I played and what I feel about others that I haven't.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Black flag is the closest, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. Brotherhood is the next closest.

Everything else has fatal flaws even when they're largely good; from boring missions, to bad storytelling, to asshole characters.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So I finally played 2 last week, and it's definitely a solid open world game. More compelling than most of the genre for me, but I just started 4 and immediately I'm retroactively soured on so many aspects of 2. The environments are gray and dull, the Italian accents are ridiculous, character motivations aren't interesting, etc. IV starts with a little Tom Ripley action and so far has had no emphasis on the present day stuff, and the tropical locales are great for virtual tourism in quarantine times. I'm really excited about it, even though I don't care about boats.

I did really like beating up Pope Borgia though. Is there a game with a Jewish or Romani assassin in occupied Poland yet? Because it seems like beating up Hitler and Goebbels et al could really elevate the series to another level.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
There are very few games that I would consider masterpieces.
Still the AC series has really good games, with 3 of them being really great IMO.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you extended the question to all Ubisoft games, how far back would you have to go to get a relative majority to call one of their games a masterpiece?

They really don't seem to produce games on that level.

youngsylt

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
For me Brotherhood, Black Flag and Odyssey are up there in my all time fave games. I can totally understand though when people don't feel the same and there are most definetly flaws in all of those games.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think AC2 may come close but I have only played 3 games in the series.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
AC2 was an amazing game but it has aged really poorly. It needs a remake with the systems and engine from Unity. I'd throw so much money at that.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm not sure if 'Masterpiece' is right, but 2 and Brotherhood are some of my favorite games of all time, and Syndicate was really fun even if I'll admit it has its flaws.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
AC2 is on of the best games of last generation. I know a lot of people have become super cynical about Ubisoft games over the years, but everyone needs to remember that 2 released BEFORE the "Ubisoft open-world template" was really a thing. And 2 was such a massive improvement over 1, it's ridiculous.

Entries like Origins and Odyssey are good, but they definitely suffer from the open world bloat that many Ubisoft games are known for now.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Ezio Trilogy is 1 big masterpiece and one of the best/most-interesting stories ever told in fiction. So sad they ruined it.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
If you extended the question to all Ubisoft games, how far back would you have to go to get a relative majority to call one of their games a masterpiece?

Chaos Theory? Sands of Time no question. PoP '08 was divisive but the people who liked it (myself included) really liked it.

Ooh, Siege actually might qualify.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
2 was amazing and left an enormous legacy. Odyssey perhaps less so, if only because of the bloat. But it's one of my personal GotGs, so for me it counts.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2003) perhaps. If not Assassin's Creed 2.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No, I loooooove 2 but masterpiece is such a strong word. I would only use that definition for those truly groundbreaking games that changed the gaming landscape forever.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
AC2 was very good. Not a masterpiece but very good. That was my fave.

Black Flag was not bad. I stopped playing then after that though.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AC2
Black Flag gets an honorable mention just for its structure/sailing. But the actual running around missions and story weren't that good

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
No.

A few are good games, but none do anything particularly impactful or without chaff.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Although i do consider Black Flag to be the best pirate game ever made.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this series since the beginning and no, not one of them I'd consider a masterpiece. AC2 is probably the closest and it still ain't there.

But "masterpiece" is a strong term and i don't use it lightly. There's a difference between something i really really like, and outright masterpiece

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Origins left a positive impression on me, Odyssey left me even more happy with the upward trend the series is seeing.

I feel like Valhalla will finally be a masterpiece for me personally. Have high hopes for Ashraf and the team.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
They are solid games but I would not describe any as an masterpiece.

AC2 would be up there hadn't my nostalgia been shattered a year back when I played it again.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Masterpiece is a very strong word and extremely hard to attain for me. AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag are all truly excellent games though, some of my all time favourites. Revelations, Unity and Syndicate are all really great games that I remember fondly as well.

I hate the new direction of the series, Origins was still great but very flawed as an AC game and then Odyssey just ran away with everything I didn't like about Origins.

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know if I'd go so far as to use the term "masterpiece" but Black Flag, Origins and Odyssey are all outstanding games

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
2 and Brotherhood are legit masterpieces.
Black Flag, Odyssey, and Revelations (IMO) are in the "almost-masterpiece" tier.

Oct 24, 2019
From a gameplay and story standpoint, I would say no.

But I think their open worlds when viewed just as sandboxes are all masterpieces. The art direction and level of detail poured into each and every one is breath-taking.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
With how many games their are in the series and with it basically being a yearly release, AC seems like shovelware to me. Which is insane considering the 1st game was one of my most anticipated games ever.