• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

So?

• Yes, in every game

Votes: 235 35.8%
  • Only in MP games

Votes: 59 9.0%
  • No

Votes: 235 35.8%
  • Yes, but only free options

Votes: 127 19.4%

• Total voters

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I always see people here saying "It's just cosmetics, it doesn't matter" and similar, so I'm curious to know what you think.

I really like cosmetics in most games, and one of the reasons I love Splatoon so much is that I can customize my character without any kind of mtx.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost never customize a character and I generally play as the default. I also hate most DLC.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Nah, I rarely even customize my character's appearance in games that allow me to. Though oddly enough I did get into transmog farming in WoW for a while, but I can't think of any other games where I cared about appearance

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
eh, im no fashion souls person. ill wear some ugly outfit if the stats are good.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I almost never customize a character and I generally play as the default. I also hate most DLC.
Nah, I rarely even customize my character's appearance in games that allow me to. Though oddly enough I did get into transmog farming in WoW for a while, but I can't think of any other games where I cared about appearance

I wish I was like this lol

I avoid most MP games because I know I will be sad for missing skins and such.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cosmetics are my life. the moment i could make mario a football player was the moment i felt complete for the first time.

also a big fan of graphics.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm no. I like alternate outfits in some games. I'm not going to buy them though...

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

Case and point, Mortal Kombat 11 gives you awful costumes for many characters as their starting and gates off the good shit. I still don't have Kitana's Edenian Blue attire. It's been available only twice in the two years since the game has been out in a one day limited event. And, if you didn't play that day to get the message, you missed it.

When they make the alternative terrible and gate off the good stuff in hard to acquire ways, I absolutely do care.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
If i spent countless days with a character (as in WoW) yes. Otherwise no

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes.

Case and point, Mortal Kombat 11 gives you awful costumes for many characters as their starting and gates off the good shit. I still don't have Kitana's Edenian Blue attire.

When they make the alternative terrible and gate off the good stuff in hard to acquire ways, I absolutely do care.

This is awful, I hate this trend.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Not in every game, and not just in MP games.

Currently, I'm big into collecting skins for Gears 5, which is a multiplayer game I guess. I really like that you can use all the multiplayer skins you've earned in New Game+ now, though.
I do care about what my character looks like in a single-player game too, though (if I'm given the opportunity to customize).

It's mostly RPGs, I guess. Depends on the game really, and how much I'm "into" it.

I typically don't buy skins with real money though (I did for Street Fighter 4 way long ago, though).

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Only in games where other players can see me using them. In single player it's fairly pointless.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I definitely care about cosmetics, I don't need it in every game but I love having a variety of looks available and always feel a bit shitty if a bunch are locked behind microtransactions (and kind of even hate systems where you have a specific earnable currency that you can spend to get those same cosmetics).

At the same time I'm a lot more tolerant of it in multiplayer games? Provided there are plenty of great free cosmetic options as well.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I care about how my character looks, sure. Gear aesthetics is very important.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not to any egregious, life-ruining extent, but I cannot say I have never spent money on them.

Eyad

Nov 17, 2020
In most games, I'd only buy one or two and stick with it. The only time I'd buy everything is for trophies/achievements.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I love playing dress up. It's a major reason I'm so excited about the RPG goodness that will come from Xbox. So many chances for next gen creation.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
If I have to pay extra actual money for it no I do not care. If it's already in the game and I just have to unlock it or use in-game money then sure I will try to do whatever it is to get it. Unless it's some dumb limited time only thing, those can fuck off.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Not in MP because MP cosmetics are usually god awful looking.

I appreciate swappable skins in SP games and was disappointed that tlou2 didn't have that option unlike every other ND game from the last 15 years

Do enjoy dressing up in games that allow for it if I like the looks. Unfortunately most of the armor options in games like Monster Hunter or Tsushima look bad.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I don't give a fuck at all. At best I might have some mild interest in cool looking gear that is tied to a very specific achievement or accomplishment, but never enough to actually pay for it. In Destiny I don't think I ever straight-out bought any of the emotes or gear, except for the Thriller Dance (which was I think their first paid emote).

I'm glad that there are people who do care, since their craving for useless trinkets is definitely subsidizing my gaming habits.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yep. Not something I usually spend money in (except a few Warzone battle passes) but I care about them. I often use equipment with worse stats in single-player games just because of their looks.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I do not care. I have never spent any money on cosmetic DLC ever. I always looked like the generic Fall Guy too lol.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
if they're there and can be earned without paying more money i'll engage with them. if they're there solely through microtransactions it doesn't put me off of a game.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I care about how my character looks, it's part of the overall visual experience of the game. But I'm fine with adapting to a limited choice, so I usually don't care about aesthetics beyond what I happen to come across when playing. If a purely cosmetic item I like is easy to get, I might go a bit out of my way to get it specifically.

May 19, 2020
i care hard about it. this was a huge problem in destiny 2 where half the armor is butt ugly or looks like a futuristic toilet. it's probably part of the reason i stopped playing

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
There are a few titles I own that I have yet to start because I still do not have all the outfit DLC. Need those sales to come around.

I always see people here saying "It's just cosmetics, it doesn't matter" and similar, so I'm curious to know what you think.
But if I am unable to get a cometic due to my lack of skill or it is no longer available, I do not mind. I only go after what I deem accessible.

Last edited:

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Not really, I almost always use the default outfit/look in games that have them unless it's something with a character creator.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I care but rarely spend anything on cosmetic mtx.

The challenge is to find the best looking gear that is also somewhat powerful. I love the intersection between those two lines, like a meta game. Put a price tag on it though, and I lose all interest.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is awful, I hate this trend.
I put more than 500 hours into grinding AI towers. Granted, I wasn't actually playing, but what the fuck. Making them hard to get, time consuming and random is such bullshit. You shouldn't have to leave your system running to unlock stuff for you for hours on end. Have an in game store and give us currency to buy what we want. Make better ones more expensive if you want, but streamline the process.

It doesn't respect the players time at all, and it forces you to choose between actually playing the game or letting it run on its own to unlock stuff/expects you to constantly check back so you don't miss things every hour.

Now they're running an event where, every two hours, a comet flies by, and you have to enter a code. It gives a secret tower with a Kombat League skin at random. So, if you're trying to get one specific one, it may take 100s of attempts cause it will pull ones you already have as it pulls from the entire pool every time rather than eliminating them.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't buy or grind for any but I do like cool costumes and changing it up, who doesn't.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Unless they are a small bonus for perfecting the game, I am annoyed by the existence of them. But ultimately the correct answer is that I do not care, because I never use them. If there unfortunately is any customisation, I always pick the standard option. Unless it is a racing game, in which case I make the car green.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Overall no, I'll use it sure and in some games I like it like halo where you can customize individual parts to make your character unique. Games where a skin is a complete costumes and everyone that uses that skin looks exactly like you? No and i never spent a dime in those games. Not because im against it, i like it when i have a reason to buy the season pass and i think its a bummer when i dont like it.

So i guess my answer should be yes? But 95% of the games implement it in a way that i dislike and therefore dont care.

In Single player games tho a big big no. Couldn't care less.

I am also very passionate about my hate for transmog. For me thats the most stupid thing ever, never did it in wow or any other game and never will.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I love customizing and creating looks but not enough to pay anything for em.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
In Destiny, Chatterwhite rules. If I never ever got it, I wouldn't have cared.

Nah...cosmetics add nothing to the game.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I love cosmetics and dressing up my character, it can end up being my primary focus in games a lot of the time. That's why I find it so frustrating when people hand wave MTX concerns with, "it's just cosmetic". To me, cosmetics are a big part of my enjoyment and my fun is spoilt when what I enjoy about a game gets tucked behind a paywall.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hell yeah. I'm tracking down the unlockable skins in Doom Eternal. Looking forward to finding some of the costumes in Dragon Quest as well.

Can't believe I didn't claim that Unicorn Doom skin from Twitch šŸ˜­

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Being able to change your look in a game is something I really enjoy and it sucks that it's largely disappeared behind the paywall in recent years. One of my biggest issues with DMC5 was doing multiple playthroughs and never unlocking a new outfit like I would have in the older games. You pay or you get nothing.

What sucks more is seeing people defend the practice with "It's just cosmetic". What's the next enjoyable thing we can look forward to missing out on when publishers discover they can make us pay extra for it?