• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. I play games to have fun, not to chase carrots on sticks.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I care less now but I still like to get platinums when it's both possible and fun to do so. It's more of a way for me to engage with a game that I love.

I'm past the days of chasing a platinum regardless of how I feel about the game. Best believe I'll be going for the Sony FP platinum trophies though.

Apr 8, 2018
Eh, probably not as much as I used to. If a game has an easy looking achievement/trophy list (Spider-Man, Days Gone, etc.), then I'll try and get them all.

Other than that I don't really care much.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I stopped caring about achievements when I was done with school and started a job.
I still have this itch to get achievements out of my new favorite games, but I'm trying to resist.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, as soon as I had both a ps3 and 360 and my stuff was split, I largely forgot about them, probably around 2010. There's the odd game where the achievements are fun looking enough I'll chase a few but that's usually when I want to play the game more already and I'm looking for things to do, and less to do with the achievement side of things.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Only my favorite games. Like Resident Evil 2 Remake. I almost have the platinum on horizon and I'll eventually go back and get it. Basically if the game is special to me then yes.

Edit I did get the Spider-Man ps4 platinum in like two weeks because the gameplay was so damn fun.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sorta. I don't chase them but if I had a choice between playing a version of a game with achievements and one without i'd go achievements.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I like going after specific challenge trophies/achievements, but I don't care about getting them all.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
I really like going for trophies/achievements. But it definitely cuts into your gametime. Recently i've found myself being less and less motivated to finish an achievement list for a game because there are just too many games to play.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No.
When I was a teen that couldn't afford that many games achievements were a great thing to squeeze out more fun out of my games.

Now I have a backlog and am glad when I finish a game. I don't care about that stuff anymore

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I deactivated notifications but I still take a look at the list. In games like assassin's Creed Odyssey I like to do them all.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I only get platinum trophies for games I love, and only then, within reason. Like I got Bloodborne's platinum, but the Dark Souls ones have you having to progress with every covenant and I don't have time for that despite loving the games.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Yes, a lot. They can be considered an interesting meta-game inside this beautiful hobby.

I didn´t really care during my first months with an Xbox 360. Eventually, I befriended a group of guys who reunited in a local videogame store and were heavily invested into both Halo LAN tournaments and gamerscore races / rankings. I ultimately found TrueAchievements and other people who took this matter extremely seriously (going to extremes like not launching a game they were interested in because they knew it was hard to 100%). A significant portion of my closest XBL friends are also into achievements, so there´s a constant feedback and the occasional friendly competition.

I am no completionist, but I am probably among Argentina´s top 5 / top 10 gamerscore (317k, at the moment). I try for this not to affect my economy or my schedule, as I am also permanently invested in other aspects of gaming (Forza semi-competitive racing, Destiny, Warframe, etc.).

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
No. I've put hundreds of hours into individual games this gen and I still haven't got a single platinum, they're just not something I ever think about or anything that personally extends my playtime with a game.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
Only in some online games (mostly Shooter/MMOs) if the achievement is challenging.
I generally don't care about steam or console achievements/trophies.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Yeah I still enjoy 'em. I don't platinum all my games or anything, but if I like a game well enough, I might just attempt it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Never did, to the point that even if playing only 10 minutes from a game is enough to get the last achievement/trophie... I won't do it unless it's a fun challenge or something interesting. Achievement/trophy design is poor most of times tbh, and as they are mandatory it's easy to spot lots of poorly designed achievements.

I play to have fun, but trophies/achievements are not fun per se, so I couldn't care less.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Hell yes. More and more as time goes on. I look at them as a chronicle of my gaming career. I can look back through them and see the past 13 years of Xbox gaming I've done. Completing tasks, levels and games means more when there is a meta level reward to them. Helps when wanting to go back to older titles too. I just wish they would do a little more with them...maybe a "career" system?

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): System wars and trolling across multiple topics; previous related infractions
Achievements yes.

Trophys are for idiots.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Just the other day I saw Easy Allies are so concerned with achievements, they have a new show where people come up with their own achievements for them to do on Switch as it doesn't have any

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely hate missable and online trophies. Otherwise I enjoy trophies, especially for games I've loved like Nier Automata or recently Bloodstained.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Achievements for the Xbox Game Pass Quests.

I absolutely hate missable and online trophies.

These are the worst. Don't hide an achievement behind some incredibly difficult scenario where in a lot of cases you have no control or make it such an obtuse goal that only occurs in one specific section of a game that you would have to replay it to actually unlock it.

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got the Master of Siege platinum in R6: Siege after 4 years, and I cared.

Beyond that, not really.

I like them for single player games but stopped caring when they would tie the tacked on multiplier to total completion last gen. Some devs STILL do this, so you've got to learn to let go.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. Especially in games I love. It's the extra incentive to play them more.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game, its its one that i realistically feel i could get all achievements then yeah i do care about them, but add ridiculous ones and multiplayer ones and i just lose interest in all of the achievements

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped caring about them during the 360 era when I was only playing games (and a lot of bad games) to watch points go up. The only Platinum/full GS I've gotten on a game since then was Bloodborne, just because I loved the game and you also got a nice theme from it as well.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I absolutely do, but it's predominantly for games I'm genuinely into.

With Burnout Paradise on PS4, I really wanted to hit the platinum again to give myself a sense of accomplishment. There's so much to do in that game, and even the platinum isn't exactly indicative of 100%ing it, but I still felt like I covered the game once I got it.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Stopped caring about them back during 360 days.

I'm glad I stopped caring because I seem to enjoy games a lot more.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I care about achievements, not so much about trophies. I'm not crazy about them, I don't really let them negatively impact my experience - quite the contrary, sometimes they push me to explore games in interesting ways - but I care.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yes. I love to try get platinum trophies if they are not too grindy and if im enjoying the game. Its a great way to make me replay the game at least 2 times, since the 1st time i dont really pay atention to the trophie list to avoid spoilers. If i finish the game and still wnt to keep playing more of it, then i go try get the remaining trophies.

Achievements in other platforms i dont really care that much, but i still like to see them there.

Last edited:

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I like the ones that require you to play in an interesting way or do something unusual but otherwise I only really care if there are unlocks involved.

The new CTR does this pretty well with a really neat looking exclusive skin for people who've beaten the hardest time trials in the game.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Depends on the achievement and the game. MP achievements can be awful, but can also change play styles and show you a new side to a game you wouldn't otherwise have known about if you weren't chasing the award.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I used to, particularly in the 360 era, but now I pretty much ignore them. I reached a point where chasing achievements was ruining my gaming experience because it throws off the natural flow of many games, so I finally just quit.
I do still have fond memories of getting 100% in Halo 3, ODST, and Reach because I just loved playing them so much.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
I like them but won't stress myself out to get a plat. If it's realistically achievable then I'll go for the platinum, currently one away from the full set on assassin's creed oddysey and have enjoyed the game a lot. Played rdr2 and thought 'fuck that', would have taken about 400 hours!!

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
No. Same reason I don't care about scores or times; it's just not why I play games.

Never have, never will unless there's some sort of meaningful incorporation into games (There likely never will be).

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Yes,

I use them as incentive it continue playing. It a reason I got bored with Breath of the Wild after 20 hours but I am at 110 hours of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I can keep playing.