• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you care about external Achievements and Trophy

• Yes I care about my gamerscore / trophy list

Votes: 540 48.7%
  • No, I don’t hate it but don’t really care much for it.

Votes: 500 45.1%
  • I want more incentive like achievements that would once unlock gear for your Avatar (Xbox 360)

Votes: 68 6.1%

• Total voters

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
Yes I care about trophies/achievements and it should be a standard feature across all consoles. It's why I haven't bought a Nintendo console since the Wii.

People don't have to care about them but adding them takes nothing away from those people.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but it looks messy when you start a game get a trophy for moving your character and then it's stuck at 1% forever. Kinda bugs me.

Prefer Nintendo's basic ass system without any linked profiles tbh.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
A lot of my £50 XSX discount was generated directly via achievements in the rewards app.

That basic fact negates 100% of complaints against achievements, at least on Xbox, for me.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I don't care at all, i will do a challenge if i find it interesting, not because there's a trophy attached to it...

i wish doing these would unlock rewards or cheat code like before though! The most recent exemple was red faction guerilla who did exactly that

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy them. It's fun to collect them as a side thing. I don't get too wrapped up in it though.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I care about them for the games I like the most, it's nice to have extra challenges and incentives for a game you really enjoy playing.

Otherwise they're useful as progress indicators to see how far your friends have progressed in a game compared to your own.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The statement just doesn't make sense. Trophies and achievements are incentives to do things within the game you might not have done otherwise. They are not "outside" the game. This is a weird paradigm. Juxtaposing them against things to do within the game doesn't make sense. They are things to do within the game.
It's getting rewarded twice as I see these things pop at the same time as the in game notification. Don't see the point.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
No, and I wish platforms like Steam would allow me to turn off the achievement notifications without disabling the overlay entirely.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I used to on the PS3. Platinum'd a handful of games.

I don't care at all anymore. It's meaningless crap to me now. I'd rather have in-game activities that reward me with something.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I love my trophies.... but seriously they suck on the PS5.

The quick screen with the cards is awesome to jump into some trophy hunting.... but the visualization is terrible. I can't read the entire trophy description without opening them... seems like 3-4 words and nothing else appears on the card.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I enjoy them. While I see why others may not care, you can easily disable the notifications on PS5 so you never really need to think about them if you don't want to.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
by themselves i never did, but with ms rewards/gamepass quests and the daily 50 ms points for getting a cheevo, they're more useful for me now

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
If I really like a game I want to get the platinum to make sure I experienced everything the creators had in mind. The caveat is that in some cases it soured me a bit on the game.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't vote. Most of the time I don't care, but I've turned my platinum list into a rare badge of honor for games I'm loving (and for which there is no bullshit trophy). So far, only Don't Starve Together, Spiderman, and Death Stranding have made the list, but it's fun to me that it's so exclusive.

When I get around to playing through BB again, I will be very close to getting the platinum and will probably go for it. If they don't remaster it first 🤞

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Most games have annoying achievements (collect x number of y) just to pad out the time, which I ignore. I like boss-/story-related achievements the best.

Overall, I don't really go out of my way to get the more ridiculous trophies.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Some people get enjoyment out of the challenge of fully completing a game, and I get that. If it gets you more play time out of a game you enjoy then great.

I've never been bothered about them, and I find in order to get 100% achievements/platinum it's often a chore.

Finding well done trophies/achievements is really rare.

I prefer to play a game because the core gameplay keeps me engaged, not doing random things to unlock a pop up.

Spider-Man remastered is a recent example for me, I enjoyed the game so decided to take a look at the trophies and noticed you get one for having to find 50 secret photo locations, that's just not fun for me.

I also find often people cheese trophies/achievements which I've never understood.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I really only care about two things when it comes to achievements:

1) Can I personally do any of them, beyond just "Beat game on X difficulty"? I don't feel like getting my character to level 99 if it means playing the game for much longer than I thought I would, for example.

2) Do any of the achievements give you a weird gamerscore that isn't divisible by 5? If yes, I will almost certainly avoid that game.

Other than that, they're mostly just optional tasks that don't have any bearing on whether or not I'm actually enjoying the game.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I do to the extent its nice to have a record of which games I've played/completed, and for minor incentives on the side of games I'm already playing. But I'm not going to go too far out of the way to get them.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
The poll doesn't seem to have my answer.

I do care about Achievements, because they give me more to do in the games I love. Many of the tasks that I perform to earn them would not have been things I tried doing on my own, so they lead me to enjoy the same games in new ways.

I don't really care about my total Gamerscore.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I really don't care. I like the idea of mini-incentives outside of what the main game presents to you, maybe they provide weird incentives for you to complete (e.g. avatar clothes, new themes, etc.), but they're not essential to me.

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
I used to, but that was because i had friends that would constantly chat about what trophies they just got and how they're gonna plat the next thing. Havent spoken to them for a while and I now rarely check what trophies/achievements I get. Feels good!

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I like having them as an easy way to track and list all of the games I've played over the years. Occasionally I'll come across a game I want to 100%, or an achievement that I think adds a nice twist to a game, but something I really enjoy is being able to compare the different ways I've played games compared to my family and friends. For that reason I really appreciate games that have achievements for pacifist/stealth/whatever types of runs, so I can see how people I know played the game.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Yes absolutely, I always enjoy getting them after completing gathering main game.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe 10 years ago, but the notification popup is the first thing I turned off when booting up the PS4, and I haven't thought about it at all since.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trophies / achievements are cool, but I really don't pay much mind to them. As a matter of fact, I usually turn off or silence most notifications when playing games. This is especially true for cinematic or story-heavy titles, where the notifications just get in the way.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I think they're a gimmick, I prefer to turn them off. They tend to encourage a somewhat obsessive-compulsive play style which I try to avoid.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
no, i hardly ever even look at them. if i do and there's one i can easily get i'll do it but i'll never go out of my way for them

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Sure. I have 11 Platinums and I think 5 full 1000 on the Xbox side, so for games that I really really like I try and get them all. Otherwise, I still enjoy doing something in-game and ping, oh what did I do? quick check, and back to the game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Early today I hit 100% on Ori, but I have all achievement notifications turned off. I was curious if I had knocked everything out, so I pulled up my score and saw that I saw that I had a bunch of dumb, arbitrary challenges that would undoubtedly make for a worse experience. I get why people like them, but they're just the antithesis of what makes the game fun in the first place. I figured that naturally knocking out everything, seeing everything, and unlocking everything would be enough. Guess this is why I don't chase these kinds of things.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I am not too bothered with trophies/achievements. If I get them while I play then that is neat but I rarely go out of my way to get one. The only exceptions would be a platinum in Spiderman 2018 and the xbox equivalent in AC:Odyssey.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like it if the game makes unique-playstyle achievements, if that makes sense. I don't go out of my way to 100% though.

I remember playing a visual novel that requires all the endings, but most of the ~40 endings are just premature game overs from choosing incorrectly (yes, it's a bad visual novel to begin with). At that point I realized 100% completion can get dumb.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
When implemented correctly they offer you the chance to experience areas, features or playstyles of a game you might not have experienced otherwise and actually end up enjoying. It's a welcome addition that has the potential to enhance the replay value of all games.