• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you?

• Yes, most of the time it shows high quality of the game.

• Yes, but not because of that stupid qaulity thing. It's just a cool number to see.

• Nope, it's so pointless.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll never care about any review scores ever. I can inform myself well enough and don't need other people to tell me what I should like/buy or not.

The review system is incredibly flawed and I'm pretty sure that several reviewers are also biased.
Every reviewer is biased. That's how human nature works.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I trust words more than numbers

But most of the time is a fairly reliable indicator. You just have to be wary that one bad review brings down the average so seeing what that review had an issue with is important

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, its almost the most meaningful way for me to be 'converted' on a game.

The most important reviews are Edge, Gamespot, Easy Allies, then metacritic aggregate.

I don't trust gamers opinions.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I couldn't give two shits about any scores on meta critic. In general, I'll read up on a game and watch videos and then see what eurogamer and Edge have to say about it.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
And why would anyone careabout your personal score if they really like the game?

Coming in here saying you don't give a shit about MC and then berating others on their preferences measured by yours...

I expressed my opinion
you are not supposed to like it
i didn't force you to agree with me.

Who are you to begin with?

OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
If it isn't 90 plus then I don't play it, simple as that. Life's too short to be wasting time on 89 or lower games.
I'm playing Detroit right now, and I've had hell of a good time so far with it, and It's 78 or something like that. I didn't say 89 or lower games are bad.

I made this thread for posts like this tbh. Great job buddy!

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Well, HZD is a 7/10 game at most, 90 MC is way too high.

Agreed

giphy.gif

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
The only value a metacritic score has to me, is the endless entertainment it provides due to people losing their fucking minds over it. People have a really unhealthy obsession with it. It's absolutely bonkers.

Last edited:

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I expressed my opinion
you are not supposed to like it
i didn't force you to agree with me.

Who are you to begin with?

WTF does it matter who I am? Not iconic a member for you to disagree with you?

I just found it ironic of you to lay down your opinion for others while you say you don't give a fuck about the opinion of others.
So why should they give weight to your opinion over their own?

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Metacritic score doesn't tell you a huge amount, but its quick, easily absorbed information so I take a look at it when I'm considering a game.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Ill enkoy a game whatever the score is. But a game being given a 90 makes me look into it more if i was not previously interested

Its why i played god of war 4

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I just found it ironic of you to lay down your opinion for others while you say you don't give a fuck about the opinion of others.
So why should they give weight to your opinion over their own?

Did i say they should give wieght to my opinion? You are making this up.
Tell me, what's your problem?

I said i don't give a fuck about reviewers opinion, we are on ERA, we are discussion between users, not reviewers.
You should read better next time.

Not gonna waste my precious time anymore.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The notion that a game with bigger metacritic score is better is harmful to videogames.

A game need to have enough mainstream appeal to get a 90+, it pretty much just get the good side of most reviewers by following dumb standards.

Like, imagine if classic Resident Evil games were released nowadays with mandatory ink ribbon mechanics, or if RE2 remake had mandatory ink ribbon stuff in all modes. Reviewers would be like "They are really limiting my save games in 2019?" and a lot of them would give lower scores because of that. Suddenly your game hits the 60s on metacritic because it doesn't follow a really specific standard.

It hurts variety, and unfortunately a lot of publishers really care about the meta score, sometimes even firing people for low meta. Because players really do care about meta scores when doing purchasing decisions.

Sum.Mischief

Jun 24, 2018
I'm very capable to decide if I enjoy something and form my own opinion. Believe me I've been on the minority end on several things.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I only play games that are sub-80 myself. Life's too short to waste time on review bait games that aren't fun.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I tend to look at OpenCritic rather than Meta but I like to see games I am looking forward to review well because it means I'm probably going to enjoy it. That's about the extent that I care though.

Toucan

Oct 30, 2017
No. If I look at Metacritic's top 100 list and pick out the games I've actually played, I can fairly confidently say that I didn't particularly enjoy most of them.

Some of the most fun I've had in recent years has been with games that didn't do all that well critically. ELEX had average scores in the 50s and 60s, and I enjoyed that game more than any of the high-scoring big budget titles I've tried since.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Metacritic scores have never mattered for my decision to buy a game or not, in that way, they are pointless.

Better scores mean more people will buy the game, though, so in that way, I am happy when a game I like does good on that front.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sure, if a game is a 90 or higher on MC, I'm more likely to check it out — especially if it was previously under my radar. It's not make or break, but it helps catch my attention.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Did i say they should give wieght to my opinion? You are making this up.
Tell me, what's your problem?

I said i don't give a fuck about reviewers opinion, we are on ERA, we are discussion between users, not reviewers.
You should read better next time.

Not gonna waste my precious time anymore.

Yeah, whatever. Doesn't contribute to the topic at hand anyway. Let's just leave it at that.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Well cracking an even ten has some magic to it, but it's the same difference with 89 to 90 than with 69 to 70. So it's not actually that meaningful. Also I think it's been proven from time and time again, that metacritic scores aren't really the biggest factor in driving sales. Many games with more mediocre scores sell hell of a lot more than games with over 90 MC. There's a lot of other factors at play that makes games sell. Slay the Spire is the only 90 MC game this year so far with Resident Evil, it's OT is 3 pages long. The early access thread got 5 pages. Kingdom Hearts III OT is on page 214 with merely 84 MC. Of course this board shouldn't be used as an any meaningful metric of anything, but I think that game has sold over 5 million copies atleast so far. Slay the Spire is well over a million too though, but it also has had considerably more time for those sales because of early access.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
I only use the metascore as part of my view on what the general public seems to think. I also make sure to look into comments made by people in discussions about the game to get a sense of what that score means in context. Typically a game getting 90 or more on metacritic to me means it's probably technically well polished and creates a very consistent experience, and then anything beyond that I'll learn from reading discussion about the game.

Metascore has never had a meaningful impact on if I've bought a game on its own, though public reception as a whole occasionally does. That said, two of my top 10 games have metascores around 60 (though, those are deserved, they're very flawed games) so I don't treat it as an absolute measure of whether i'll personally enjoy the games.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Not 90+ but 80+ for me, unless there is some demo/trial or beta to try the game out (I bought Wildlands because of that)

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
No. Carring too much about it in combination with most reviewers not using the full scale has led to the awful review culture we currently have.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's nice to see (especially for low-profile games), but I'm rarely turned off a game I'm interested in as long as it consistently scores above 5.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A great metric score and my personal taste have seldom lined up. My 2 favorite games this gen (destiny and spider man) are so far apart in score it's pointless. At this point it's better to watch a stream see how it is, then try it if possible. Can usally tell with a demo or something if I'll like it, only time I've been brunt this way was sea of theives.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
If I can try a game by myself, that's more what I go by. Critic scores when they roll in are always fun for the histrionics/schadenfreud, all so silly.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I wish you hadn't divided the Yes options like that, OP. The results would have been more accurate.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy when I see series/developers I enjoy do well on Open/Metacritic simply because it means more people are liking something/someone I have an affinity for.

However, most of my favourites are under 90, and some of them don't even come close. That and, while a 90+ will probably catch my attention -- particularly for an indie title -- I've been disappointed by enough 90+s that it certainly doesn't make them must-haves, personally.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There are few things in life I care less about. My goty last year was Detroit and that's on 70 something.

I feel sorry for people who are unable to form their own opinions

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I only care about games I deem as good. MC scores means nothing to me, it's the last place I would check to know a game. I don't even know the scores of my favorite games.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I care about it somewhat.

If I am not interested in a game and it suddenly gets a million 10/10s I usually check it out just to see what the fuzz is all about.

If I am interested in a game I won't really put any regard into the reviews except if it's a total breakdown like some recent games, and some of them can be fun even if they are not a high quality game (crackdown).

But it's also very subjective.
I don't agree on the RDR2 and botw scores for instance.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely not. There's been some games I've really enjoyed over the years that turn out are in the 60's and 70's on MC lol.

Ryse, The Order, Quantum Break, Wolfenstein: TNO...

Zero effect on my fun.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's just another tool in deciding on a purchase. By no means is it the sole deciding factor, but a really high or low score makes me want to investigate further.
So I can't say that there's no purpose to it.