• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

They don't have to follow any rule

• They should follow every rule

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • lol, lmao

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • LOL, LMAO

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • They don't follow any rule

Votes: 54 52.9%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
México
Do these words follow regular grammatical and orthographic rules?

For example... Do you write lol, lmao, or LOL, LMAO? How about on an opening sentence? Do you write Lol, Lmao?

Feb 15, 2019
lol no

The only time I capitalize either of them is when I'm using those words and nothing else in a sentence and usually only used as a reaction to something that was obviously very funny.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I almost never use lol, lmao etc. I'm more of a "Hahahahaha" or "hehe" kinda guy.
When I use it it's on non-capital letters, but I don't think there's rules for lol usage.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Depends on the context. If somebody is acting foolish I might say "you seriously think the earth is flat come on lol". If Mitch McConnell got pied in the face on the senate floor I might react "fucking LMAO".

Professor Lich

Resettlement Advisor
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Short hand terms like these, and other jokey things, I always leave uncapped and short. My intent there is to help show that it's a joke / sarcastic.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lol or Lmao for something amusing, not necessity an actual IRL laugh but can be a light laugh.

LOL or LMAO = actual loud laughter.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Acronyms have special rules.
but THESE acronyms have NO rules, autocorrect gets to decide.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Capitalize if it's fookin' funny and you're actually laughin'. Lower case if it's just a light chuckle or only makes air come out ya nose.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't use those words but if I did I'd go lowercase cause seeing them in uppercase just annoys me. Especially lmao, people go all caps with that on the unfunniest stuff in the world.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Also:
images