• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
My family and I sure do but I know that a lot of people thinks it's weird.

In fact, when we first moved to Oklahoma, my mom was ordering delivery from a local pizza place for the first time and it went like this.

Mom with thick Jersey accent: "Yeah, I'd like to order a large pie with pepperoni please."
Poor employee on the phone: "Uhm, ma'am, we don't serve pie here."
Mom: "Whaddya talkin about? A pizza pie. Like the song?"
Employee: "I'm not sure..."
Mom, singing: "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore! ... Anyway, we'll take a large one with pepperoni."

Luckily that was the end of my mom's singing career and we just started calling it pizza. However, there's one place out here where the family is from New York and they understand us. They've got really good pie too.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I worked at a Little Caesars in high school and my manager claimed he coined the term 'pie' for pizza.

That guy was an idiot tho. No I don't.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rarely and never without calling it "pizza pie".

Also anyone who calls refers to pizza as just "za"... please just stop.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
God, no.

I've been rewatching Veronica Mars and the number of times they call them "pies" has driven me up a wall, lol. I don't think I've ever heard someone refer to it that way IRL.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
no, because a pizza is a taco
I see you saw my post lol

No.
No. That's weird.

At least it's weird in the UK. No one would ever do that here.

ITT people have no appreciation for pizza.

Although we normally fight it out over all things pizza, this is one thing that both Chicago and NYC can agree on.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. I also don't call soda "pop."
People should be arrested for that shit.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
nope. I'm guessing it's a regional thing among people who think their mistakes are worth doubling down on in the hopes that other people follow them.

now I just want Pizza for dinner.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
From NYC, so of course pie is used commonly in conjunction or in place of Pizza.

Honestly can't remember if people at my college just outside of Chicago ever said pie, we didn't have any good pizza joints by my school. Deep dish or otherwise. Most kids ordered pizza from like Papa Johns or some shit.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
ITT people have no appreciation for pizza.

Although we normally fight it out over all things pizza, this is one thing that both Chicago and NYC can agree on.

Deep dish, then yes, it's still a bit odd but it makes more sense. I believe Chicago Style would fit this description. However everyday pizza? Nah.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I have never called it pie, and I don't think I've ever heard it called pie outside of very old TV shows and movies.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Can you order some pizza?"
"Sure, how many pies?"

The form factor of a whole pizza is that of a pie, but I don't consider it part of the Pie family. Like, Cheesecake, kinda.

I wouldn't ever answer "Pizza" to "What is your favorite pie?" - Not because I don't like Pizza, but because that wouldn't be a real answer to that person's question.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's right there on the menu
A pie

You call the pizza place and you order like 5 pies

Idk I have zero faith in this country when it comes to pies outside of the NY tri-state area. They don't know wtf they are doing.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Little Ceasers or Dominos in the burbs isn't going to do it, but if you head downtown for a good deep dish, you'll hear pie used.

...you realize the suburbs (or "the burbs" for people who call pizzas "pies") of Chicago has tons of excellent local pizza places, correct?

You don't have to "head downtown for a good deep dish." I live 2 minutes from a Lou Malnati's and Giordano's. And we usually don't get deep dish unless people from out of town visit.