• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cross? Or X?

• X

Votes: 2,646 94.2%
  • Cross

Votes: 163 5.8%

• Total voters

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
You rotate a square, it's still a square!
You rotate a cross, it's still a cross!

The term Diamond is often used to refer to lozenges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lozenge
However the difference between a lozenge and a square has nothing to do with how they are rotated.
The difference is if all the angles are equal to 90°, it's a square. If the angles are different, it's a lozenge.
Remember the geometry courses you had as a child!
Thanks I took 8th grade geometry too, you just took this way too seriously lmao.
What about delta for triangle?

Last edited:

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
The funniest part of this discussion for me is learning that there are people here who have been calling the square button "box" their whole lives. I love it. Box, Donut, Pyramid and I have no idea what 3D X would be.
You have to Delta, X, Box, 360
Thanks I took 8th grade geometry too, you just took this way too seriously lmao.
Without a sarcasm marker, I'm right to take everything literally. ;)

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, in french it's "croix" (cross), for Playstation only. I've never heard anyone call it X. It's X on Xbox and Nintendo systems though.
I've heard some people call it "X", but yeah for most people it's "croix", I mean it's all "triangle carré croix rond", makes little sense to call it "X" as other buttons are obviously shapes and not letters.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
You know the concept of "cross" existes independently of Roman upright torture perpendicular crosses?
A crossroad is not upright, a cross-section is not always perpendicular. All x and + and × are crosses, two bars crossed.
The concept is crossing, aka. meeting. The way it's positionned is irrelevant.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's nonsensical to say that "well X means the letter, even though that came later." Just as it would be nonsensical to say that an upright cross is religious iconography.

X has been used for all kinds of things, such as, ya know, a marker. X marks the spot, meaning it's the primary place where your attention should go. X is used to cross out things. Multiple Xs have various meanings. Many of these existed long before the letter X existed.

Yes, it is under the subsection of cross, but so are trucks under the subject of cars, and yet we say cars vs trucks all the time in common parlance, so as to distinguish them -- this is a useful distinction because a car does not have a bed, and a truck does. Given X has a generic meaning, including outside of letters, and the other kind of cross, the upright cross doesn't really have a name (just as sedans, coupes, and minivans don't really have a collective name to distinguish them from trucks with beds), it makes sense to call the latter cross, and the former X. "Plus sign" is a bit unwieldy, and specifically refers to math so ehh.

Words have many meanings, and the tweet is silly by acting like everyone can only refer to one specific meaning of the symbol, that of a letter. X is not just a letter. It's the word we have for a diagonal cross. It's weird and awkward to call it a cross, since most people (as evidenced by the poll above) associate a cross with the upright variety.

Matematically, a square is a diamond though. You can't draw a square that doesn't have diamond's propieties.

Right. That..doesn't change what I'm saying at all. I specifically brought them up because they have the exact same properties, but are viewed at a different orientation.

We don't use "diamond" so much in math, but it is still a colloquial shape. It's useful in common speech.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Words have many meanings, and the tweet is silly by acting like everyone can only refer to one specific meaning of the symbol, that of a letter. X is not just a letter. It's the word we have for a diagonal cross. It's weird and awkward to call it a cross, since most people (as evidenced by the poll above) associate a cross with the upright variety.
About the upright cross + being called "plus", in maths, the slanted one × is explicitly called "cross", so the "common association" for mathematicians is opposite to the "common association" you brought forward.
All I mean is that what seems "common sense" to you might not really be in other circles. :p
Edit:
Kind of like the creator of Gif says it's JIF.....nah fuck that.
Another example of particular "common sense".
In english, how to pronounce the g in a word is completely arbitrary (giraffe, gift).
Other languages often have explicit rules of how to pronounce a sequence of letters (instead of being arbitrary).
In a lot of those g+i/e lead to a soft g, while g+a/u/o lead to a hard g. So "gif" with soft "j"-like pronunciation becomes the more natural one.

Last edited:

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Pssssst

It's actually both, though the pronunciation for giga that people love to cite as "wrong", with the soft g, is a actually part of the NIST standard, which is likely why it was used
I mean, yeah, Americans standardized the "j" pronunciation for the giga- prefix for some reason, but I'm not American and most of the world doesn't look to America for advice on how to metric sooooooo 😉

I don't think anyone really says jigahertz or jigabyte. Jigawatt only seems to hang on at all due to BTTF

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
About the upright cross + being called "plus", in maths, the slanted one × is explicitly called "cross", so the "common association" for mathematicians is opposite to the "common association" you brought forward.
All I mean is that what seems "common sense" to you might not really be in other circles. :p

Well sure, but mathematicians also have lots of definitions and words that are wholely distinct from their place in the rest of the average colloquial world. I'm not gonna refer to the relationship between X and Triangle and talk about their size or distance or anything like that, and certainly not in terms in which their shapes are relevant in this way.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always think of crosses being a vertical line from 90° to 270° with horizontal line intersecting it at 180° to 360°/0°. Shift those values by 45° (I think) and you'll have an 'X'. So I call it 'X' I think a more valuable conversation would be, do you call O circle or 'O'? Interested in seeing what people say then.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
Anyone who says they call it cross is lying...Its a god damn X! X!!!!

I guess that means X-Box is pronounced Cross-Box. pfft

I call circle O sometimes...

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
It's an x shape so I call it "X." When I think of "cross" this is what comes to mind: †

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Kruzifix!

No, seriously, X is just convenient and short. X it is. There's a reason it's X shaped and not +. On the other hand... people probably would discuss if its CROSS or PLUS, then. nvm.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Me and my friends used to have these discussions back in the day when we all got our first PS EX's. It drove me nuts! By the time PS Triple dropped whe all came to an understanding and settled on X.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.webp

It's the H button.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Cross might be official, but tell someone to press the cross button and see if they know what the fuck you're talking about.